DCI 2009 Championships on Blu-Ray

As far as not announcing the Blu-ray release in the summer/fall, I would bet that this is kind of a test to see if the market would be interested in blu-ray and might've been made at a much later date.

My thought regarding that concern is that perhaps they wanted to test the actual product first. This being the first time that DCI has attempted High Definition, I doubt they wanted to promise something when they didn't know what they'd actually be able to deliver. Now that they've created drum corps on Blu-Ray and deemed that it is good - I believe I read Tom Blair early say that he was extremely pleased with the product - DCI can now surprise us with this excellent announcement.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy for Blue Ray and Tony Blair does very good work. But, I really miss all the commentary and the guard and drum angles. That allowed me an insight into the shows I may otherwise not get.

Wow...I knew some Europeans liked DCI, but Tony Blair? How does a former prime minister of Britain get in a stadium without anyone noticing? :tongue:

I guess the drum corps gods were smiling on me. For some reason I've been holding out on buying the DVDs. Usually I'm the first in line purchasing, but this time I just decided to wait. Not expecting too much, but excited about this new endeavor by DCI.

My thought regarding that concern is that perhaps they wanted to test the actual product first. This being the first time that DCI has attempted High Definition, I doubt they wanted to promise something when they didn't know what they'd actually be able to deliver. Now that they've created drum corps on Blu-Ray and deemed that it is good - I believe I read Tom Blair early say that he was extremely pleased with the product - DCI can now surprise us with this excellent announcement.

that makes sense i suppose

I agree. The amount of hell they would catch for buggy discs would be huge.

I love it, Greg. Just like our business, right? You gave me about 6 hours after the announcement of the Blu-ray disc (for good or bad, abbreviated in the industry as "BD") before suggesting the next thing we have to do. :tongue::)

Tom, You're lucky I waited six hours!....I was originally going to start bugging you in two!!!.... :tongue:

I suppose 3D is next up for discussion.
lol; I assume you're probably being sarcastic (though maybe not). I would be very surprised if 3D home theater systems are as popular as DVD's or even Blu-ray's are anytime in the near future.

:tongue:

FWIW, I also still think that 3D movies are a passing fad, and will eventually disappear from multiplexes, let alone home theaters, due to Hollywood cramming it down our throats with mediocre at best conversions of standard-shot movies in an effort to make extra box office profits on inflated 3D ticket prices.

I of course could be wrong, and I'm in no way in the business; but it's just my gut feeling.

Well my tongue was planted in my cheek though not firmly. All I know is that I'll be at the National Association of Broadcasters trade show in April researching various 3D digital presentation solutions for my producer clients. A majority of edit houses here in Hollywood and Burbank have 3D editing capabilities and screening facilities. It's a huge bandwagon that everyone seems to be jumping on and almost to a person they all think this will be different than the gimicky 50's "Bawana Devil" type of movies made during the so called "Golden Era" of 3D from 1952-55.

Will it stick around this time...it's hard to say. Not every presentation is suitable for 3D. But from where I sit 3D certainly seems to have some legs this time. The fact that Avatar made 1 Billion dollars in 17 days certainly got the major studios attention. Whether or not that was due to 3D is subject to debate however the fact remains that the highest grossing picture of all time is a 3D film. As they say...Money talks and right now 3D is screaming at the top of it's lungs.

Edited by SoundmanG

I'm kindof annoyed though that they let us buy the SD version and then offer the Blu version later.
They probably figured that if folks will pay to see the same show 3 times (quarters, semis and finals), with essentially the same results, THEN those same people would probably buy the SD and BlueRay discs. And they're probably right... Edited by VOReason

We don't have a Blu-Ray player, just a regular DVD player. We got a new LED TV recently, and most of our mass-market DVDs look quite good on it. But I'm a little surprised at how grainy my 2009 finals DVD looks. I thought this year's edition was supposed to be high-def? Admittedly, it looks better than the 2008 edition, which really looks grainy now. Should've kept our old TV for my DCI DVDs, LOL!

Unless Blu-Ray overtakes DVD in sales and wipes the older format out, I don't think they'll go back and reissue older championships in Blu-Ray, and Slow Adam's got the main reason. Earlier championships were not taped in true HD. If they weren't taped in HD, there's little advantage to reissuing them in Blu-Ray, because they'll still look like DVDs, it's cheaper to produce the DVDs, and not as many people have Blu-Ray players yet as have DVD players.

Plus, can't you play regular DVDs on Blu-Ray players? If so, then that's an additional reason for not reissuing them as Blu-Ray discs, especially if the quality is not improved, and the cost factor is so high.