DCI 2009 Championships on Blu-Ray

So lets go down to 1 season of dexter. You can get that for $30, and it has 3 discs, 2x the amount of runtime. Thats a $90 difference.

You can make the same comparison for DVD prices. This is nothing new. DCI does not benefit from the economies of scale like large production companies do.

Personally, I think this is AWESOME. I can't wait to add this to my Blue Smoke Blu-Ray as the foundation of my DCI Blu-Ray collection! Ballin.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets go down to 1 season of dexter. You can get that for $30, and it has 3 discs, 2x the amount of runtime. Thats a $90 difference.

You're comparing apples to bananas.

Blue Ray discs have a MUCH higher production cost than standard DVDs, for many reasons. One of them is the BluRay technology license fee paid to Sony. The last time I checked, the amount of the fee is based on number of discs you produce. Additionally, BluRay has production requirements that DVDs do not. One example is that all BluRays are made with a scratch-resistant coating. DVDs do not have this requirement, and most lack the coating.

I'm excited that DCI is making 2009 available on BluRay. I'll jump at it at the cost of $119. To be perfectly honest, that's cheaper than I figured it would be when they finally came out (and I had guessed 2010 shows at the earliest).

I wish DCI would make Open Class Finals available too, but that would be even more cost-prohibitive.

Yup.

As soon as DCI gets as big as Showtime - or Sony or Disney or anyone else who produces mass market DVD's and Blue Ray discs in volume - then I'll bet DCI can be compete with those other guys on price.

The blow is cushioned a bit for me since I got the 2009 DVDs as a gift . . .so I'm technically only spending my own money once. However, I can see if someone had already bought the standard def DVDs that this would be a bit of a downer.

Hopefully, Tom will show up in this thread and talk a bit more about what this means for future releases/cost/etc.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

What a novel thought.

I think this is a great first step and something that we should support! DCI should, of course, record everything from now on in HD as that is the future. I just hope people don't ask for 3D versions any time soon, as that is the "next big thing". Kudos to DCI for this ( See, I'm not always critical of them!)

The blow is cushioned a bit for me since I got the 2009 DVDs as a gift . . .so I'm technically only spending my own money once. However, I can see if someone had already bought the standard def DVDs that this would be a bit of a downer.

Hopefully, Tom will show up in this thread and talk a bit more about what this means for future releases/cost/etc.

I guess DCI shouldn't release past seasons on Blu Ray cause everyone will be upset that they already bought them in standard def?

I'd have to imagine they will be pretty good since they were filmed in HD.

DCA will be filmed in HD as well, although I don't think it will be offered on Blu-Ray for awhile.

You can make the same comparison for DVD prices. This is nothing new. DCI does not benefit from the economies of scale like large production companies do.

Personally, I think this is AWESOME. I can't wait to add this to my Blue Smoke Blu-Ray as the foundation of my DCI Blu-Ray collection! Ballin.

Quick search online, without really shopping around.

BD Replication for 1000 disc run- roughly $3, so $6 per package.

BD Double disc case: roughly $.40/case