DCI 2009 Championships on Blu-Ray

When I bought the DVDs last fall, I didn't have a Blu-ray player so I probably wouldn't have bought the Blu-rays if they offered them then. However, I got a player for Christmas, so absolutely I want drum corps on blu-ray.

Maybe I'll sell my old ones, or keep them as a loaner set.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

03_25_2010_bluray_news.jpg

You have to scroll down to the bottom, but it's there.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=3...33-2cf09b47689e

I just bought a Playstation 3. I already have the standard def, so I don't think I'll buy the Blu-Ray unless I hear it's worth it. I'd Imagine that 2010 and beyond will be done in Blu-Ray as well, though. Can't wait for those!

Sweet!

I wonder if this is kind of a 'test run' to see if there's enough interest for next year's Finals videos. I'd love for this to sell well and help show there is a limited market, at least, for drum corps Blu-ray.

On another note, kind of an interesting strategy with the Countdown this year: using it as a commercial for the Blu-rays. They definitely seem to try to please 'legacy' fans by showing "classic moments" from some past shows (props to DCI for choosing kind of an eclectic group of 'classic' shows), but this seems pretty obviously a Blu-ray promotion/high def. showcase.

Sweet!

I wonder if this is kind of a 'test run' to see if there's enough interest for next year's Finals videos. I'd love for this to sell well and help show there is a limited market, at least, for drum corps Blu-ray.

On another note, kind of an interesting strategy with the Countdown this year: using it as a commercial for the Blu-rays. They definitely seem to try to please 'legacy' fans by showing "classic moments" from some past shows (props to DCI for choosing kind of an eclectic group of 'classic' shows), but this seems pretty obviously a Blu-ray promotion/high def. showcase.

Looks like a great mix of Hi Def new and some classic older stuff. Plus previews of 3 corps for 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing the Troopers and how they're doing. There's something for everyone.

DCI on BluRay? I'm sold. :smile:

I wonder how far back you'd have to go before the quality of the originals isn't practical to put on BluRay

Unless Blu-Ray overtakes DVD in sales and wipes the older format out, I don't think they'll go back and reissue older championships in Blu-Ray, and Slow Adam's got the main reason. Earlier championships were not taped in true HD. If they weren't taped in HD, there's little advantage to reissuing them in Blu-Ray, because they'll still look like DVDs, it's cheaper to produce the DVDs, and not as many people have Blu-Ray players yet as have DVD players.

well, when i get around to buying Blu Ray, I'll get em

I like that dci is going to blu ray, but still, ouch on the price, like with the rest of DCI's video offerings. I mean go amazon and check out their Blu-Rays from high to low.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1269621470/ref...amp;sort=-price

Every Blu Ray set that is over $100 is either a special 'collector's edition' of something that has many additional features included in the box, or is something with MULTIPLE SEASONS worth of video. Compared to DCI, which has what, 5 hours worth if you watched multi-cam and high cam back to back?

Compare that to, for example, the Dexter season 1-3 set, with 9 BDs, and roughly 30 hours worth of content. You have to go significantly lower price to even find a set below 3 discs in the box.

I can't imagine anything more "collector's edition" than one night, in one season, that will never, ever be reproduced again.

Serious hesitation in buying only because I just bought SD, plus I don't even own Blu-Ray - I was waiting until drum corps came out. Now that it's out I figure I've got 10 months to upgrade and buy fresh in '10.

I think this is a great first step and something that we should support! DCI should, of course, record everything from now on in HD as that is the future. I just hope people don't ask for 3D versions any time soon, as that is the "next big thing". Kudos to DCI for this ( See, I'm not always critical of them!)

Wait, who's this and what happened to JJeffeory? :smile: