DCI 2009 Championships on Blu-Ray

If you are referring to ease of use for netflix, I cannot make a comment, I do not own a X-Box. As far as video streaming, one does not have an advantage over the other. Streaming PQ depends on the connection speed, not the device it is streaming through. Based on that fact, neither has an advantage over the other. The one disadvantage that PS3 has is using the disc for access to netflix, and a firmware upgrade later this year will bring that disadvantage to an end.

Not to be PITA, but it is a HUGE difference. MUCH better on the Xbox over the PS3 and I have both.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above costs are for duplication, not Production/Post Production. Post Production is where the real money is spent.

The HD equipped Edit Bay I work in goes for $500.00 per hour, of course those are Hollywood numbers so you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere but still HD Edit Bays are not cheap.

The DCI Blue Ray price is actually quite reasonable given the small quantity of discs produced.

As was already pointed out unless it was originally shot in Hi-Def Blue Ray isn’t going to provide any quantum leap in visual quality. The magic happens with the camera not the playback medium.

I suppose 3D is next up for discussion.

I love it, Greg. Just like our business, right? You gave me about 6 hours after the announcement of the Blu-ray disc (for good or bad, abbreviated in the industry as "BD") before suggesting the next thing we have to do. :tongue::)

Edited by TRBlair

I'm happy for Blue Ray and Tony Blair does very good work. But, I really miss all the commentary and the guard and drum angles. That allowed me an insight into the shows I may otherwise not get.

Edited by boxingfred

I'm happy for Blue Ray and Tony Blair does very good work. But, I really miss all the commentary and the guard and drum angles. That allowed me an insight into the shows I may otherwise not get.

agree... I miss the commentary more than the other camera angles, so if we could only get one or the other back, I would prefer the audio tracks.

not even close to the same thing when you bought the new season just months ago. They could have atleast announced that the 09 dvd's would eventually be released on blu ray when they figured out that's what they were doing.

20 dollars off for people who bought the dvd is pretty lame, I think it should be more than that.... but at least it's something I guess.

the price itself (120) isn't so bad I don't think.

I think it's actually pretty awesome that DCI is giving a discount to DVD buyers. Think about it: when Hollywood double dips on DVD and Blu-ray releases (which now is almost a standard practice for the bigger movies), they certainly do not offer any kind of discount for people who bought the original, often bare bones initial release.

As far as not announcing the Blu-ray release in the summer/fall, I would bet that this is kind of a test to see if the market would be interested in blu-ray and might've been made at a much later date.

ditto

Five Dorrah!

I suppose 3D is next up for discussion.

lol; I assume you're probably being sarcastic (though maybe not). I would be very surprised if 3D home theater systems are as popular as DVD's or even Blu-ray's are anytime in the near future.

:tongue:

FWIW, I also still think that 3D movies are a passing fad, and will eventually disappear from multiplexes, let alone home theaters, due to Hollywood cramming it down our throats with mediocre at best conversions of standard-shot movies in an effort to make extra box office profits on inflated 3D ticket prices.

I of course could be wrong, and I'm in no way in the business; but it's just my gut feeling.

Good thing I held off getting my DVD's. ( I was going to get mine a year later when the price went down due to the fact there is no show designer commentary)

lol; I assume you're probably being sarcastic (though maybe not). I would be very surprised if 3D home theater systems are as popular as DVD's or even Blu-ray's are anytime in the near future.

:tongue:

FWIW, I also still think that 3D movies are a passing fad, and will eventually disappear from multiplexes, let alone home theaters, due to Hollywood cramming it down our throats with mediocre at best conversions of standard-shot movies in an effort to make extra box office profits on inflated 3D ticket prices.

I of course could be wrong, and I'm in no way in the business; but it's just my gut feeling.

3D is selling well in theaters right now. I think it's going to be a tougher sell in homes for a bunch of reasons:

--Special glasses have to be worn which makes everything except the 3D programming look blurry, a dealbreaker if you multitask while watching ordinary TV, as I do and I believe most people do much of the time--OK, not when watching DCI, but every time the boring ads come on during CSI.

--People just upgraded to HDTV, and here comes another expensive format requiring new gear and incompatible software, too soon. I remember quadrophonic audio in the 1970s, hyped big, made sense, bombed anyway. Pause twenty years, try again with Dolby Surround and then 5.1+ with software that plays fine in 2-channel even on old players, and it works in the market. I think eventually they'll figure out a way to generate 3D effects without glasses or incompatible software, and that will sell.

--Some people actively dislike it, complaining of headaches or dizziness. It doesn't do that to me. At least in theaters where I've seen it (in Alice in Wonderland and Avatar in the past month), my complaint is that it's a very artificial, distorted look. The depth perspective is highly exaggerated compared to the way people see the world. It's much more distorted and artificial than the flatness of 2-D, which at least we're used to.

--It isn't an easy demo. When people walk by a display of HDTV in stores, they're knocked out by the clarity. They immediately "get" the concept, see the price tag, and think, Hmmmm. When people walk by a 3D display in a store, they're going to see a blurry TV. Somebody has to get them to put the glasses on, because the initial reaction is, What is wrong with that display?

To work with either drum corps or football, you'd have to figure out a way to balance it in cameras doing close-ups vs. cameras doing long shots, because both drum corps and football telecasts cut quickly between close-ups and long-shots. Get the 3D depth looking right in a long shot, and apply that same degree of depth to the close-up shot of somebody spinning a flag, and it will look cartoonish instead of dramatic.

Edited by Peel Paint