DCI 2009 Championships on Blu-Ray

I finally had the chance to see and hear DCI on Blu-ray Disc last night... a set of the "check discs" arrived at the office for the final sign-off prior to the receipt of the finished product.

The video is stunning... I didn't even realize what I wasn't seeing until I saw it last night, even though I've grown accustomed to the difference between standard def and HDTV at my own home. For example, really fine-line details like sabers spinning and drum sticks in motion are now evident in a way that was largely indiscernible previously. You can see scratches on horn bells, for cryin' out loud!

The audio is perhaps even more stunning. I remember how excited we were when DCI entered the digital era in 2000 with the first DVD production, and the Dolby 5.1 has been great at high volume levels. The DTS-HD Master Audio is pretty remarkable at a whole new level. You can practically turn off the picture and "see" the show through your ears... if that makes any sense.

I know that I'm far from objective about these sorts of things... but I can tell you that I wouldn't have bothered saying anything at all if this wasn't really, really good. I think that I'll now be able to show folks who don't understand my fascination with drum corps something that looks and sounds so incredibly vivid, I might just be able to get them interested in coming to check it out "live."

Edited by bobjacobs

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally had the chance to see and hear DCI on Blu-ray Disc last night... a set of the "check discs" arrived at the office for the final sign-off prior to the receipt of the finished product.

The video is stunning... I didn't even realize what I wasn't seeing until I saw it last night, even though I've grown accustomed to the difference between standard def and HDTV at my own home. For example, really fine-line details like sabers spinning and drum sticks in motion are now evident in a way that was largely indiscernible previously. You can see scratches on horn bells, for cryin' out loud!

The audio is perhaps even more stunning. I remember how excited we were when DCI entered the digital era in 2000 with the first DVD production, and the Dolby 5.1 has been great at high volume levels. The Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio is pretty remarkable at a whole new level. You can practically turn off the picture and "see" the show through your ears... if that makes any sense.

I know that I'm far from objective about these sorts of things... but I can tell you that I wouldn't have bothered saying anything at all if this wasn't really, really good. I think that I'll now be able to show folks who don't understand my fascination with drum corps something that looks and sounds so incredibly vivid, I might just be able to get them interested in coming to check it out "live."

...now see here... You're making me want to get this product... :tongue:

The audio is perhaps even more stunning. I remember how excited we were when DCI entered the digital era in 2000 with the first DVD production, and the Dolby 5.1 has been great at high volume levels. The Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio is pretty remarkable at a whole new level. You can practically turn off the picture and "see" the show through your ears... if that makes any sense.

I can help with "checking" too, if help is needed! :tongue:

I just wish this had been ready for sale with Finals. I would have paid more for this product, but refuse to buy a duplicate of last year's finals just to enjoy the higher production values. I will DEFINITELY, however, upgrade to Blu-Ray/Hi-Def for my DVD purchase for 2011!

Harvey

I have been charged as well!! Tax Day coming early????

Meh...I already own the dvds so buying the same thing twice would be a huge waste of money. And of course they didn't tell us they were gonna do this. They want to make as much money off of drumcorps crazy fans as they can. If this year were a better year show-wise, I might actually consider buying the blurays but I'm gonna pass and start buying the blurays in 2010 (assuming they don't crash and burn...and assuming that I like the shows enough which btw is a huge assumption since all this electronic crap is showing up now...)

Edited by Cardman

So glad i waited to buy 09!!!! Please come in soon! I just got charged on my account so hopefully within the next week...