Best location (stadium) to watch Drum Corps

My wife and I both marched in drum corps (BITD 1972) and in the early '80s we moved overseas. We returned in 2004 and started attending drum corps shows again. We were curious which stadium in the US is the best (#1) to view a drum corps show. Since our return we've attended shows in Pasadena (Rose Bowl), Denver (Bronco Stadium), Albuquerque, Dallas, and San Antonio (Alamo Dome). To date I would say San Antonio in the Alamo Dome is my favorite so far. This year we'll be attending DCI in Indy for the first time. My question - which stadium is the VERY best to watch a drum corps show. I've heard good and bad for Atlanta and Allentown but was curious what people thought is the #1 site to attend a drum corps show considering accoustics, crowd noise, and fans.

My old favorite when I marched was Racine, WI due to the crazy crowds (they really got into it!) plus the flowing beer didn't hurt but with all the modern day factors which site do folks think is the creme of the crop. Like to hear.

:smile:

Edited by amadorj

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the handful of stadiums I've experienced, Memorial Stadium in Bloomington was by far the best. No multiple decks, so the crowd was all together, feeding off each other. The stands were positioned perfectly from the field, so that you felt connected to the performance no matter where you sat. And there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance before the show, and plenty of bars nearby for after. I'm biased to be sure since I went to school there, but I can't think of anything I didn't like about the venue when I attended Championships in '08.

... but I can't think of anything I didn't like about the venue when I attended Championships in '08.

Agreed on all the positives. The single negative was bench seats. Having proper chairs is the one thing that would improve the Bloomington experience.

HH

Bloomington, Dekalb, Denver, Buffalo, and Kansas City all get an A from me, sightlines and sound being the key. I don't mind bench seats, because I just bring a stadium seat, and I'm happy. Madison loses a bit on comfort not because of benches, but because it was designed for standing and people are too scrunched together side-to-side and front-to-back there. I could cite at least one flaw for the other places we've been.

Edited by Peel Paint

I've been to every championship since '94; the best IMO is Camp Randall Stadium in Madison. The only drawbacks are the parking (or serious lack thereof) and the fact that, like Bloomington, their seats are made to accomodate "college size bottoms" and not the "more mature" contours of some of us. Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo is a very close second-REAL SEATS, plenty of parking-drawback-not a dang thing nearby (at least not from the direction we came in from).

I'm going to answer this in three ways.

1. Sound. Hands down, the single best stadium DCI has ever held championships is the Orlando Citrus Bowl. Granted, everything else about it pretty much sucked, but the sound was magnificent. Not even Camp Randal comes close to what the acoustics are in Orlando.

2. Sight. For watching a show (sight lines), the winner for me is Camp Randal Stadium in Madison. Sound is also very good, but the angles are really great.

3. Amenities. When it comes to things like seating comfort, climate, food quality, pricing and parking, LOS in Indy wins going away. No other stadium is even in the conversation. Last year's World Class Finals was the most comfortable I've ever been while watching a show. The food was excellent, and the stadium pricing was outstanding, especially when you consider it's an NFL venue. Sight lines for where I was were good, though I'd like to move around a bit more to see what other seats are like. Sound isn't perfect, but it's also not nearly as bad as some folks make it out to be. If you're between the 35's, you're golden.

Of the handful of stadiums I've experienced, Memorial Stadium in Bloomington was by far the best. No multiple decks, so the crowd was all together, feeding off each other. The stands were positioned perfectly from the field, so that you felt connected to the performance no matter where you sat. And there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance before the show, and plenty of bars nearby for after. I'm biased to be sure since I went to school there, but I can't think of anything I didn't like about the venue when I attended Championships in '08.

This is an excellent point that I had never thought of. The crowd in '08 was HYPER for the last half of the night, and I never connected that it was because we were all sitting together. Now that you've pointed it out I'm absolutely convinced you're right.

Most of my shows have been very local plus every finals since 1980, except CA. My old favorite used to be Madison becuase the town got so into finals in the early years. By the last few visits there were no more "Welcome Drum Corps Fans!" in the windows and on the signs, and the experience seemed to grow old. Bloomington was the heads up winner and my new favorite. In all these years I never felt so connected to the energy on the field.

Anyone else sense the especially electric crowd, even before 12th place was announced?

wasn't at Bloomington, but have yet to hear a person complain about it.

Madison

Buffalo

Allentown before that back wall went up.

Hershey Stadium

I'm going to answer this in three ways.

1. Sound. Hands down, the single best stadium DCI has ever held championships is the Orlando Citrus Bowl. Granted, everything else about it pretty much sucked, but the sound was magnificent. Not even Camp Randal comes close to what the acoustics are in Orlando.

I was just coming in here to say the exact same thing.