KILTIES play on all Gs.

I like the sound of a G line. Take for example lets say Devils. Take last years show and then go back and listen to 85. There is a difference. I think I would take 85 over 2009 for a quality of sound. Or should I say a Drum Corps sound.

Thia is probably owing to our numbers but listen to recordings of the MSARP (on G's) and any Scouts corps since 03. Just a rawer more powerful sound. Which is not to take anything away from those Scouts corps of course.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a point I failed to add to my last comment. Part of the reason G lines from the 90's and before are louder is simply that we were trained to play louder and standards for intonation and tuning simply werent the same as today. Compared to our own peers there wasnt an appreciable difference apart from volume but compare one of those lines to today and its obvious that todays players are simply trained differently, mainly in how to not overblow. So I will refine my earlier claim about Gs being louder to have the qualifier that part of that was simply in how we played the horns, although I still believe the G lies are louder at the end of the day all things being equal.

I'm still a rookie when it comes to Bb vs. G vs. Loud. I only know what I hear. When I hear Bb trumpets on the field I can pick out players indivdually. G horns...? not so much. There's that "Broadcast" ($1 to DA) thingee I mentioned in a previous post.

The corps' that sound LOUD on Bb, IMO, need 60+ horns to achieve the same effect as 40+ G horns. And to MY ear.....the G horns are more pleasing to hear.

(I still think Bb was a marketing gimmick anyway......a good musician can make anything sound good .......just sayin)

Thia is probably owing to our numbers but listen to recordings of the MSARP (on G's) and any Scouts corps since 03. Just a rawer more powerful sound. Which is not to take anything away from those Scouts corps of course.

Also had twice as big of a hornline with the alumni project. Not really a fair comparison.

Also had twice as big of a hornline with the alumni project. Not really a fair comparison.

Factor in that recording gear is significantly better (and cheaper) these days than in years past. Not really applicable to MSARP '06. But BD '85 to '09? That's a huge leap in technology to even compare in the first place.

Factor in that recording gear is significantly better (and cheaper) these days than in years past. Not really applicable to MSARP '06. But BD '85 to '09? That's a huge leap in technology to even compare in the first place.

Yea and in 85 they parked and blowed alot. So much more movement now.

Well I did saying probably owing to our numbers.

We have a lot of high schoolers and they get to play our 2 valves!

Shenandoah Sound is all G..mostly 2-valvers. Two of us own 3v horns and use them in them in the corps.

The rest of us 2-valvers tolerate their braggadocious third valve. :tongue:

I'm looking forward to hearing Empire's 65 piece G Hornline this year!

Both sides of the Rainbow will hear them.

Sorry, but no recent DCI corps are/will be as loud as old 80's and 90's lines.

Like Kyle said, 91 Star comes to mind.

we'll agree to disagree.

it's all on the arrangement and how it's taught. In fact, I'll rank 05 Bucs as one of the loudest DCA lines of all time, and they were on Bb.

Look, I'm a drummer, so they key to me is not a uge thing, tho I respect the traditions. But to get out and recruit younger bodies, eventually BB probably holds more sway.

either way...loud is loud when in tune and how it's arranged