Crown's 2010 repertoire is posted on corpsreps.com

I don't know if I'd call Copland "fluffy", but that's just me.

a tiny bit of Copland in a show with tinkerbell and peter pan with over the rainbow and numerous other references to some of the fluffiest stories and movies of all time, anyway.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly Crown using this year as there "Second Chance" to finally win. They seem to think the grass really is greener on the other side. Then again, I guess every corps is always trying to win...

a tiny bit of Copland in a show with tinkerbell and peter pan with over the rainbow and numerous other references to some of the fluffiest stories and movies of all time, anyway.

Maybe they are just tired of not being taken seriously.

I remember another corps that seemed to have the same reputation.

Then they played William Walton.

Then they played Respighi.

Then they won.

Wow! Alrighty, then. To each their own, I guess. If you want to call last year's show "fluffy", more power to ya. That "fluff" was my 2nd favorite show just behind SCV and just ahead of The Cadets.

Interestingly, I just bought that symphony last night because I'm filling in for Timpani 2 with the Valparaiso University Orchestra. I just attended my first rehearsal yesterday afternoon and decided I needed to stop by Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of the work. Now there's an additional reason to look forward to listening to it.

You should buy the Michael Tilson Thomas and San Francisco Symphony recording off of iTunes. Hands down one of the best recordings I own.

Wow! Alrighty, then. To each their own, I guess. If you want to call last year's show "fluffy", more power to ya. That "fluff" was my 2nd favorite show just behind SCV and just ahead of The Cadets.

I liked Crown's show last year, too, especially musically. All I meant was that it was a little shocking to see Mahler 2 after what I've gotten used to with them. After thinking about it more, I can't imagine a better fit for brass lines and this music other than Phantom.

Crown's 2010 repertoire is posted on corpsreps.com

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=co...orpstype=Junior

Second Chances

Symphony No. 2 Mahler

Symphony No. 2 Bernstein

Symphony No. 2 Khachaturian

Symphony No. 2 Rachmaninov

Symphony No. 2 Mahler

That. Is. Awesome!

Size added to actually reflect my vocal inflection. srsly.

But Crown's shows have been fluffy for so long, it'll be strange for me to go from seeing them do horsies/looney tunes classical/peter pan/tinkerbell to MAHLER 2 "RESSURECTION SYMPHONY"!!!!!!!!

AGREED.

Hopefully it will NOT have that SAME long chord they have been using for 3 years now.

I liked the idea before everyone else did it. Also using the SAME chord got tiresome.

Edited by FanofNight

Second Chances

Symphony No. 2 Mahler

Symphony No. 2 Bernstein

Symphony No. 2 Khachaturian

Symphony No. 2 Rachmaninov

Symphony No. 2 Mahler

I've played (Bass Trombone) and/or sung (Bass II) all of these pieces, except Khachaturian. I know them all very well.

This is how to pick music that can win.

I love the concept (all Sym #2), and the catchy title to go along with it, but the title implies each Sym #1 was a failure, lol, oops!

I look forward to comparisons between Crown and Phantom on Mahler 2. I'm sure Crown's looking forward to it too.

Anyway, Klesch might actually have to write tubas parts on and below low Bb for a good portion of the show, if Crown is serious about making this music transfer to the field. I'm not talking about the soft parts...

Congratulations Crown for selecting music that has inherent "win!" (That is, the music itself has inherent CI)