College vs Move-ins?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched for the Cadets in 2009 and Spring Training Move-in day was the 15th of May. In order to be there for that day I moved all four of my finals to the 12th. Each final is 3 hours long. It takes commitment and communication between everyone to make it work.

In order to be there for that day I moved all four of my finals to the 12th. Each final is 3 hours long.

Man that's a Hell of a brain drain. I moved some of my finals so I wouldn't have to take more than two on the same day waaaay back then. Easy to move the elective courses as there were so many students that there were multiple days/times for the tests. The Comp Sci dept wasn't that big then so almost all of the upper level Finals only had one day/time for everyone.

Seriously I'd worry that having 4 on one day would effect my grades.

PS - Way to go kauliflower... :ph34r: good luck.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If there's a schedule conflict that can't be resolved, school comes first. This is a no brainer.

So I now know that I will be attending UCI (University of California, Irvine) the 2010-2011 academic year. I've started having a look at the academic quarter dates and finals and noticed that, if I may use phantom regiment as a yardstick, I would miss 3 weeks of move-ins due to college finals. I'd love to hear anyone's perspective and/or experiences on this and how it worked out.

Rach

Communication is the key, on both ends (college and drum corps). When I marched there were some professors who were cool and I worked things out to wrap up their classes early (it was VERY hard, and I had to teach myself part of their lessons in order to do well on the final). I also had a professor or two who didn't want to accommodate, so I had to juggle my schedule to keep both the college and the drum corps happy.

But the real key is to talk to both organizations as soon as possible and let everyone know what's up. The corps is usually satisfied if they know far enough in advance and can plan around it, likewise so is the university.

Played my junior recital at the end of Winter Quarter and moved out to San Jose Spring Quarter (skipped that quarter--you moved in in January back in '86, but since I needed to play my recital, they let me move in later). Everyone was local back then, you just put college off until you aged out, generally. A few vets finished spring semester and then moved in, because they knew the routine and had earned their spot already.

Ok, so for those of you who aren't familiar with my situation...

1. My name is Rachel

2. I live in Australia

3. I will be attending UC Irvine on university exchange from Fall 2010 - Spring 2011, and this is non-negotiable. Yes, it is a quarter system.

4. I chose to go on exchange to so I could do drum corps, self-funded. It's kind of a big deal!

Additionally, my marks are credited back to my home university on a pass-fail basis. I don't intend on failing, but if I don't mind compromising my grades slightly. After all... I'm not travelling half-way around the world to stuff it all up by not attending rehearsals.

The feedback is pretty consistent though. Talk to the professors and corps staff early. Thanks guys!

p.s. I'm in the market for a mello and not at all picky. Just wanting something to start practising and get the hang of. I'm a french horn player you see.. Btw, are there any other wc corps other than SCV who prefer horn players for mello places?

how many classes do you take each quarter on the quarter system? can you take slightly more courses in the fall and winter so you are taking fewer in the summer?

do you need to have a full year of credit to transfer back to Australia? Or are you already ahead of schedule with your credits? or you could you take extra credits upon returning to Australia?

if you can work your schedule so you have fewer classes in the last quarter, that would be advantageous, IMO.

Hi soccerguy,

I will be taking 12 units with of subjects each quarters, which translates roughly to 3 subjects per quarter. This is the minimum I am allowed to take under the exchange program and I can't drop below that at any point in time due to student visa requirements. With that in mind, I can't overload one quarter and then underload the spring :(

Most students at UCI take a load of around 16 units. To the best of my understanding, any subjects taken at UCI must be able to be credited back to my home university's degree. At presents, I am checking whether I can take some gen ed subjects in the spring quarter

Definitely not a bad idea. I'd check to see if there are any classes along those lines in a few subjects that you're already rather proficient in that you could take. It would certainly help your case with your profs if you can display competency in their area if you're looking to take your final in their subject early so that you can move in with the majority of the corps.