I LOVE DRUM CORPS

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OT- When I was a kid, my grandmother would cut the cheese, and just be oblivious to it, like nothin' happened. My brother and I would laugh and giggle, and she'd want to know what was so funny. I'd just look at my brother, and we'd laugh all the harder! :blink:

Now, stop it. I'm about to cry.

There's only one word that I've found fully describes what drum corps means to me:

Profound

Starting in 1973, it's the longest love affair I've ever had.

The 12 minutes to my office is perfect for listening to one show in my car. I use it to get me up, to keep me going, to maintain a steady pace in this crazy world.

It's been the source of decades of vacations, and the biggest money pit I've ever spent money on, and I rarely hesitate with my wallet.

Someone said to me once: "Most people don't treat as a religion like you do." That's OK. Good, in fact. It's the greatest secret those fortunate few of us have to boast about.

If I die with headphones on with 2000Cadets (or what's to come) blasting in my ears I'd be the happiest of men. And if I get Phantom to play over my grave my smile will last for all time.

Yep. To me...profound.

Edited by garfield

Sometimes on this forum it's easy to find ourselves being critical of certain aspects of the activity. Perhaps it's because we've all bought into an attitude of cynicism that pervades our culture. Perhaps it's because it's more interesting to argue and pick. In fact, I predict this thread will last all of 2 or 3 pages (at most) and be forgotten because it's just no fun to be positive.

Despite my cranky tone at times, I would like all the directors of Drum Corps International know that I love this activity and support what you are doing. I know that many of you invest countless hours into the lives of hundreds of young people. Your efforts are not wasted. I have seen young men and women leave this activity changed for the better because of your sacrifices. Thank you.

To all the staff who goes unnoticed throughout the year. Thank you. Thanks for sitting in the hot sun day after day teaching these kids the importance of doing all things right. I know that serving in obscurity can seem unimportant, but I cannot think of a more important role to our society than doing something for someone else without fanfare.

To the volunteers who flip cheese sandwiches, mend uniforms, bandage up wounds, drive the souvie truck thousands of miles, keep the buses running (and on and on). Thank you. Your part in the organization is invaluable. My hope is that you will feel the joy of serving a greater cause than yourselves.

To all those who work behind the scenes in Alumni affairs, fund raising, doing the books, recruiting, and designing posters. Thank you. Once again, these are all needs that are filled by people who understand the value of bringing up a generation of young people who have character and integrity.

On more than one occasion I have wandered through the parking lot at shows and watched young people polish their horns, eating from the food truck, stretching and other things. Every time I find myself smiling--happy that there is a group of young men and women who are doing something worthwhile. These are some of the best kids in the country and when I see them take the field on that warm summer night and hit those first notes I get a tear in my eye.

Then . . . I take a swig of my diet pepsi, a bite of my hot dog and start SCREAMIN!

I LOVE DRUM CORPS!

Well spoken Granny!!

Granny, While I agree with you...... what the heck is "layed"?

Usually you elderly are sticklers for grammer and spelling.

Nice post.

I liked garfield's summation of drum corps as 'profound.'

For me, it's one word as well -- goosebumps.

They appear all the time in many different ways, and they keep me loving this activity. Goosebumps.

Granny, you go girl! You know I agree with you.

and GO TROOP!

(no fair, you used my cheer! It's so unique..... ha!)

:blink:

Sometimes on this forum it's easy to find ourselves being critical of certain aspects of the activity. Perhaps it's because we've all bought into an attitude of cynicism that pervades our culture. Perhaps it's because it's more interesting to argue and pick. In fact, I predict this thread will last all of 2 or 3 pages (at most) and be forgotten because it's just no fun to be positive.

Despite my cranky tone at times, I would like all the directors of Drum Corps International know that I love this activity and support what you are doing. I know that many of you invest countless hours into the lives of hundreds of young people. Your efforts are not wasted. I have seen young men and women leave this activity changed for the better because of your sacrifices. Thank you.

To all the staff who goes unnoticed throughout the year. Thank you. Thanks for sitting in the hot sun day after day teaching these kids the importance of doing all things right. I know that serving in obscurity can seem unimportant, but I cannot think of a more important role to our society than doing something for someone else without fanfare.

To the volunteers who flip cheese sandwiches, mend uniforms, bandage up wounds, drive the souvie truck thousands of miles, keep the buses running (and on and on). Thank you. Your part in the organization is invaluable. My hope is that you will feel the joy of serving a greater cause than yourselves.

To all those who work behind the scenes in Alumni affairs, fund raising, doing the books, recruiting, and designing posters. Thank you. Once again, these are all needs that are filled by people who understand the value of bringing up a generation of young people who have character and integrity.

On more than one occasion I have wandered through the parking lot at shows and watched young people polish their horns, eating from the food truck, stretching and other things. Every time I find myself smiling--happy that there is a group of young men and women who are doing something worthwhile. These are some of the best kids in the country and when I see them take the field on that warm summer night and hit those first notes I get a tear in my eye.

Then . . . I take a swig of my diet pepsi, a bite of my hot dog and start SCREAMIN!

I LOVE DRUM CORPS!

:blink: I nub noo