Changes in DCI?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the corps that remain go back to being drum corps and not bands and you will see those crowds increase. I would attend that show in a minute where I won't attend any DCI shows now.

People thought that back in 1972 also. Without the big guns smaller corps just dwindled away. If you dont believe this then how did under 10 corps become what it is and hundreds disappear

People thought that back in 1972 also. Without the big guns smaller corps just dwindled away. If you dont believe this then how did under 10 corps become what it is and hundreds disappear

You can't compare some corps leaving in 1972 to today. Yes, those corps wanted some different things but they didn't change they complete structure of what a drum corps was. If you had those 13 corps leave and become "bands" they would have never survived.

Most of us agree that a spilt would be horrible and we mainly look at the value of all corps. Many of us would even boycott the splintering groups. But take our own passions out of the picture for a moment. Look at this from a younger person’s perspective dreaming about grand things buying a ticket to a show. Show A consists of BD, SCV, Cadets, Crown, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, and Bluecoats; Show B consist of (name any other six corps). I contend that the activity, and the culture as a whole, has already programmed in the desire for these people to see the biggies and it would not matter if they were split from DCI. Talk to most, not all, but most kids trying out for a lower corps and they will tell you that they are just attempting to get enough experience to audition for the Devils, or The Cavaliers, etc… As an outside example, more tickets are sold to see the New York Yankees than the Cleveland Indians or for that matter any University baseball team. Name the number of kids that want to be a Cleveland Indian as apposed to wanting to be a Yankee. This is just they way are culture is in today’s world.

Ummmm.....yeah.....and how would major league baseball consisting of 7 teams do? How many people would get to see games? You can't be in multiple locations if there are only 7 of you. This would make these corps travel more, appear at fewer shows, and be seen by fewer people. Yeah, sounds about right for another great DCI idea.

The rumor I heard is that DCI will let the top 7 go their own way, and will then take the other 493 corps that DCI has been hiding in a closet somewhere for the last 36 years, and put them back on the competition field.

AND......DCI has decided to re-instate the 1975 Muchachos prelim score :plain: ,and adjust all the finals scores for that year. So, maybe Madison will hold on to that title, maybe not.....

Just kiddin' :plain:

Whatever the news, I hope it's for the betterment of the activity.

Ummmm.....yeah.....and how would major league baseball consisting of 7 teams do? How many people would get to see games? You can't be in multiple locations if there are only 7 of you. This would make these corps travel more, appear at fewer shows, and be seen by fewer people. Yeah, sounds about right for another great DCI idea.

MLB has limited the number of Major League teams; this might be what the DCI WC elite corps are wanting to do.

You can't compare some corps leaving in 1972 to today. Yes, those corps wanted some different things but they didn't change they complete structure of what a drum corps was. If you had those 13 corps leave and become "bands" they would have never survived.

wrong!!!!!! exactly the same those corps wanted change and got it...enough with the band stuff...gezzzz i heard the same arguments about not really marching, no color presentation, no american flag, dance introduced, etc etc ...move on will ya!!!

wrong!!!!!! exactly the same those corps wanted change and got it...enough with the band stuff...gezzzz i heard the same arguments about not really marching, no color presentation, no american flag, dance introduced, etc etc ...move on will ya!!!

So in 1972 if those 13 corps left, added electronics and the rest of the corps stayed and did not add all the garbage you really believe they would have been more sucessfuL? Marching or not marching, dance or no dance is not the same as changing the core structure of what drum corps was. If you don't believe that then I have a nice lot of land to sell you in Florida.

Who's to say some of the ones left out might not fill the void and get better, as good as some of these super corps? Hell, Boston and Blue Stars beat phantom, one of the 6 people are rumoring wanted to split. Ive heard SCV wasnt in this group wanting to split either. We've started to see some parity in the top 5 and even top 12. Lets look at one potential split:

Cavies

Cadets

PR

Bluecoats

BD

Crown

SCV

BStars

Boston

Glassmen

BK

Troopers

Madison

+ everyone else

Hell, in that 2nd group you've got SCV, a power corps, BS and Boston that have turned it on big the last couple years (and who knows if that will continue this year, either could surprise some people), Troopers making finals for the first time in forever, and Madison who just went and loaded up with Star staff. I sure as hell would go to that second show.