Changes in DCI?

Just as my periodic reminder - everything in here is conjecture right now. No official word has been given by DCI or reported by DCW. So hold off on setting couches on fire for a bit. WVU students, I'm looking at you.

:plain:

Mike

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take that example. How many of these kids will ultimately be able to play for the Yankees? If all these kids only want to play for the Yankees, why are there 29 other teams with full rosters and players in the Minors in the farm system? Would the Yankees looks so good if they were only beating 6 teams vs. 29 teams?

If there are only 7 corps, what is elite? If the rest of the corps die out, won't the quality of the "elite" suffer? There was another thread earlier showing stats that over 1/3 of the members in the "elite" corps have experience with other WC corps. Take that experience out of the mix and quality will suffer.

All analogies break down when used in a different context. In baseball, only two teams compete during the game; and the home team will play 60 plus games at their own home field. So, home town crowds actually buy tickets to multiple home games to see their home team play various other teams. In the DCI elite situation, six or seven elite corps will all compete at the same show; and the show will travel from city to city and state to state so that different people will buy tickets.

Just as my periodic reminder - everything in here is conjecture right now. No official word has been given by DCI or reported by DCW. So hold off on setting couches on fire for a bit. WVU students, I'm looking at you.

:plain:

Mike

Same with you guys, Ohio State (oh wait; it's not the Saturday before Thanksgiving, campus wide burn-your-porch-couch day) :plain:

and who are you ??? You've been here, what, five minutes ?? His opinion and thoughts are just as important as yours and he shouldnt feel intimidated not to post his thoughts.......and how you feel is your opinion, but dont try to make it into something personal!

G

It is personal! Hoping for the demise of DCI is OK?

It is personal! Hoping for the demise of DCI is OK?

Wether I agree or not, yes, it sure is..its an organization that not everyone agrees with. Its one persons disdain..and in reality, you are reading it that way, fine tuning it into something it may not even mean.

Many folks have had their gripes with DCI, and other organizations throughout the years.....he is just one person throwing his opinion into the ring.....you dont have to agree, you could even make it more intriguing by debating his idea, but dont bully him into feeling bad he feels that way....

G

From what I understand, the speculation going on in this thread is way off the mark..... :plain:

what would Drum Corps be in the offseason without a " DCI is ( or will be ) engaging in the slotting of Corps " ?

There will be " prediction threads " and there will be" slotting threads ".

Without them... we would be lost.

Edit to fix the quote tags...MikeD

So hold off on setting couches on fire for a bit. WVU students, I'm looking at you.

How about dumpsters? Those still ok? More of an ames thing, but thats where Ferlazzo of DCW was tweeting from...

330px-Riot_mayhem.jpg

From what I understand, the speculation going on in this thread is way off the mark..... :plain:

what would Drum Corps be in the offseason without a " DCI is ( or will be ) engaging in the slotting of Corps " ?

There will be " prediction threads " and there will be" slotting threads ".

Without them... we would be lost.

or the "Who had the best guard, in an odd year, where the average temperature was 77, and it rained every Thursday, and the color blue was used in the first five minutes" thread !!

G

Wether I agree or not, yes, it sure is..its an organization that not everyone agrees with. Its one persons disdain..and in reality, you are reading it that way, fine tuning it into something it may not even mean.

Many folks have had their gripes with DCI, and other organizations throughout the years.....he is just one person throwing his opinion into the ring.....you dont have to agree, you could even make it more intriguing by debating his idea, but dont bully him into feeling bad he feels that way....

G

Ah, but there's a world of difference in constructive vs. destructive criticism. There is commentary provided in the hopes that the organization will improve - and there is commentary like dustyboo's, which explicitly states a desire for the organization to fail. There is value to hearing and considering constructive criticism, even if the ideas presented are ultimately rejected. There is nothing of any value in dustyboo's rantings, as entitled to them as he may be.

ESPN anounced this morning that the Big 10 Conference is about to expand, and have extended invitations to Nebraska, Missouri, and the Blue Devils.

That is going to a tough transition for the Blue Devils.

I don't think the members of their horn line have the size or speed to keep up with those Big 10 teams. :plain:

Fran