Changes in DCI?

I find it most interesting that this "stirring of the pot" occured on a Friday, so that it can fester at least all weekend and by Monday a.m., before anything "official" has actually been released, the rumor mill will have the NFL merging with DCI, Dan Acheson will be replaced by Bernie Madoff and Pioneer will be part of the final space shuttle mission.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it most interesting that this "stirring of the pot" occured on a Friday, so that it can fester at least all weekend and by Monday a.m., before anything "official" has actually been released, the rumor mill will have the NFL merging with DCI, Dan Acheson will be replaced by Bernie Madoff and Pioneer will be part of the final space shuttle mission.

The biggest question is actually "Where will Lebron James march next season?" :plain:

On a more serious note, this article from DCW could give a preview of what to expect:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=807

I'd think DCI would want to take a more active role in organizing housing for all of their corps, myself.

The biggest question is actually "Where will Lebron James march next season?" :plain:

On a more serious note, this article from DCW could give a preview of what to expect:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=807

I'd think DCI would want to take a more active role in organizing housing for all of their corps, myself.

Good point and good article. This issue would certainly cause a power play between upper and lower corps due to the lower ranking corps always having to deal with ever increasing housing costs, longer travel time to show sites, shorter rehearsal times at housing sites, ad infinitum.

From what I've seen / gleaned all day across the net, it looks like this isn't going to get settled until this weekend. I'm betting we'll get an official word on Monday. Until then, we're all in "wait and see" mode. Don't go flipping cars until then. (Columbus, we're now looking your way.)

Mike

If there's rioting tonight, it's in Boston, where the Bruins just got sent packing by the Flyers in historic fashion!

From what I've seen / gleaned all day across the net, it looks like this isn't going to get settled until this weekend. I'm betting we'll get an official word on Monday. Until then, we're all in "wait and see" mode. Don't go flipping cars until then. (Columbus, we're now looking your way.)

Mike

Still say the focus should be on Ames, IA then, given thats where this news originated. ( http://www.rofflehaus.com/wiki/Rioting)

Edited by AlexL

Ok

1) I don't think they would put out any teaser news if the news was going to actually be that controversial or dividing - they would just come out with it and say it when they were all done.

2) I think maybe they should go to a scoreless system - they can compete for ratings, 1-5, where maybe the top 4 or 5 might all get a top rating. Then they won't be able to complain about having to compete with "lesser corps".

3) I think most fans will agree that when going to a show, they like watching ALL the corps - I did, when I went to my first show in Indy in 2002, I was enraptured by all Div 1 corps I watched, and I watched all of them, and I continued to love watching all of them when I came back the next 3 years.

4) I don't really see any "elite" corps doing anything that might jeopardize the "lesser" corps, because a) they get marchers from these corps who have experience and can contribute to a better product on the field - rather than having a bunch of the lesser corps die out, which leaves a much smaller pool of students who have marched before - the quality of the product would go down, and would lose a lot of fans at the same time.

If anything, I would support less corps in "World Class" - maybe make the requirements a little more stringent to make sure that a corps really CAN survive, and HAS the money and support to be touring the whole country for the summer. Magic of Orlando, Capital Regiment, Southwind, Kiwanis Kavaliers, are all corps that I remember watching but are now defunct - while there are Open Class corps that have been around forever that are financially healthy. I think it would be fair to keep only 15 or 16 corps in World Class - Seminfinals will have top 12, and Finals would have the top 8 - and I bet you more people would go to Semifinals to be able to watch 9-12.

Truth of the matter is, fans DO like to watch the top corps, and would rather watch them over the smaller corps, but that does not mean they don't want to watch them entirely - I would not support a move to have competitions in which only World Class corps compete - except the end of the year thing.

All corps need exposure for DCI to survive.

If you took the top 6 or 8 baseball teams and put them in a separate league, it would not survive after a couple of years.

I don't think they are going to do anything that would jeopardize the whole thing.

Wether I agree or not, yes, it sure is..its an organization that not everyone agrees with. Its one persons disdain..and in reality, you are reading it that way, fine tuning it into something it may not even mean.

Many folks have had their gripes with DCI, and other organizations throughout the years.....he is just one person throwing his opinion into the ring.....you dont have to agree, you could even make it more intriguing by debating his idea, but dont bully him into feeling bad he feels that way....

G

I appreciate your political correctness G!!

I doubt I can bully these guys!!

It is just unbelievable that someone would be giddy over the demise of an organization. And then hope that once it was gone that the people who were involved in the activity pay dearly for their infidelity.

These guys are like an anti-DCI taliban.

( He'll be at INT through the Summer, then go from there )

Edited by BRASSO