Does this pass the sniff test?

While I think DCP is doing some worthwhile investigative journalism here, let's not throw around the "scam" word too lightly. "Scam" indicates an intent to defraud. While it's fine to cast some doubt on the website's claims, we should also give a fair chance for Eclipse to respond.

There's already been some false information post right on this thread.

--For instance no where does the site claim they've already contracted for a food truck -- it just says which one they *intend* to acquire.

--On the money side they don't say they have 75% of 1.6m in the bank -- they say they have it "accounted for" which is quite different.

--Someone asked "they cant afford $10 for a domain name" -- maybe this is the pre-cursor to the real site with a real domain and was not really meant to widely publicized yet. That may be naive but it's not indicative of any bad behavior.

Now don't get me wrong -- I do agree a *lot* of the language on the website could be construed as misleading. OTOH some people have arrested, tried, convicted, and hung this organization. THAT is a little premature as well.

I agree with your opinion that we need not call this a scam without more information. The thing is that the language on their web site and through the directors supposed email response is not just misleading, but grossly irresponsible. Although we do not have the right to arrest, convict, and hang this organization based on their claims, we do have the right to question the probability and validity of those claims. What appears to be unfolding is a young man who has a dream of creating a corps and has found capital support from either parents or nepotism within the Lilly Foundation. Then that young man began to create a staff and a website without having enough maturity to structure responsible language when announcing their intentions. Nevertheless, if this is ligit, and this is the new way to build a DCI corps, and DCI allows this to happen, what would that say about DCI? That is why I hope DCI is keeping a watchful eye on this situation.

Edited by Stu

I agree with your opinion that we need not call this a scam without more information. The thing is that the language on their web site and through the directors supposed email response is not just misleading, but grossly irresponsible. Although we do not have the right to arrest, convict, and hang this organization based on their claims, we do have the right to question the probability and validity of those claims. What appears to be unfolding is a young man who has a dream of creating a corps and has found capital support from either parents or nepotism within the Lilly Foundation. Then that young man began to create a staff and a website without having enough maturity to structure responsible language by announcing their intentions.

I agree 100% with all of the above. Even *if* everything on the website comes to fruition and they field a corps I still have concerns. There's so much more to operating a drum corps than putting together the instructional staff. There seems to be a lack of operations and administrative experience in the organization as it's represented on the site.

Well, as someone mentioned, if Howdy played contra with Northstar bitd- then how to reconcile this choice quote:

"Faddis is better than an average pro, much better than Hines and slightly better

than you, but he is not anywhere near as good as me, I got 2 +

octaves over him, I got much better tone than him, more range, more

power, more projection, a smoother horn sound and more outrageous

soloing. You punks can mock me all you want but it will never turn me

into a bad live trumpet player. Live trumpet playing is where I excel

at, even Paisley agrees"

Gosh darn it all...if you're better than Faddis...then you've GOT to be better than Jerry Noonan...but you (Howdy) played CONTRA in his line - hmmmm...

Perhaps the worst part for this howdy-doody (I've got two dogs...doody is a BAAAAD word in MY house...) is that he obviously never passed 8th grade English.

I was taught by this Howdy guy back in 08. Even though I have learned about his past I respect that he took the time to '' teach '' me so to speak. That being said the after math of the season my opinion has changed about this guy.

If I'm not mistaken they would have to start out in OC anyway.

If I'm not mistaken they would have to start out in OC anyway.

Since Chris Nagy does not seem to be aware of that fact, at least in the presentation on his website, is another indication that he could be in way over his head even if he has the money.

Edited by Stu

Not to keep flogging a dead horse here, but...

The fact that the corps has "announced" that its corps song will be Whitacre's "October" SCREAMS bando to me.

Quite rudely.

At the top of its lungs.

In my face.

With a megaphone.

Turned up to eleven.

It seems as though Mikey has been removed from the website.

Edited by donnymusic

Not to keep flogging a dead horse here, but...

The fact that the corps has "announced" that its corps song will be Whitacre's "October" SCREAMS bando to me.

Quite rudely.

At the top of its lungs.

In my face.

With a megaphone.

Turned up to eleven.

This literally made me laugh out loud.

The very fact they "announced" their corps song...

It seems as though Mikey has been removed from the website.

hmmm so has the pit audio guy and the colorguard guy