Woodwinds now legal in DCI

Good grief, here we go again. Geez, I recall some years ago in Orlando when I saw a couple of Blue Knights, in uniform, playing electric guitars at I and E. Looks like Hopkin's dreams and desires are coming true.

Edited by shortn'sour

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea? Which corps?

Try any of the corps outside of the top 6 or 8 in any given year. Their ranks were/are (and continue to be) "filled" by less than the top bando talent available; very often from kids who need a place to "hang" and are willing to work to be there. Often not brass players; sometimes not musicians at all. Apparently you're unaware at how many "holes" these top units (or trying to be top units) have to fill...in order to compete with the other top units. An amazing number of non-brass players take these spots, and then learn and grow as their capabilities let them. Including one really, really great mellophone I was lucky enough to sponsor last year who couldn't read music two years ago and is now playing lead in what I believe will be a top 5 corps this year.

What does the instrument rule have to do with where you get kids?

Don't even understand the comment. There's no benefit to adding woodwinds; it doesn't "help" the situation in any way. Doesn't reduce cost, doesn't increase fan base, doesn't even make sense...in terms of the activity.

But you seem to be so sure you understand the activity, the kids, the economics better than the rest of us...who have been in the trenches for decades. By all means enlighten us, and I'll try to remember to take a peak at your wisdom over my corn flakes in the morning.

Since you believe this, your cartoon might want to consider putting the head into the sand. That would be fitting and symbolic.

Look, I know you and others mean well, but if you think woodwinds are being stopped " at the water's edge " here, you are about to drown in your naivety in a couple of years. There is no way in the world that this will be stopped. The cows are all out of the barn. And we were warned. Several years back. By MANY posters.Long time followers of the activity. Most who have disappeared by now. And arn't coming back. But they were dead on right that this day was coming that woodwinds would be used on the field by " Drum and Bugle Corps ".

The Rubicon will have been crossed once a Corps uses a woodwind.

It would be irresponsible .... and disrespectful to that idiom.... to call a musical unit that uses woodwinds in performance ( judged or no judged ) a " Drum and Bugle Corps ".

Any musical unit that uses a woodwind is unambiguous as to what it is.

It is a " marching band". Maybe it will be a good Band with elements of Drum Corps, or a bad Band with elements of Drum Corps. But it is not " Drum and Bugle Corps ". Woodwinds useage DEFINATELY moves this into " Marching Band ". There is no more dispute on this. There just isn't. People just look foolish trying to justify that a Drum and Bugle Corps can use woodwinds in a performance. One would have to do some unbelievable contortions of twisted logic to claim that woodwinds useage does not disqualify such a unit as a "Drum and Bugle Corps".... and that it's not a "Marching Band " now.

Whats your problem? I just kindly and respectfully gave my opinion yet you just threw all kindness out the door. Yes I agree woodwinds form a marching band but their is no need to attack me on this forum. I just think that more people on this forum should act like adults and express our own opinions on this forum like normal logical people would. This being said I will not return to this web page until I feel I need to come back and sooner or later post something again... I am just sick and tired of being attacked on this forum for giving out my own opinions... I will always be a DCI fan... I will always hope for the best...

Don't even understand the comment. There's no benefit to adding woodwinds; it doesn't "help" the situation in any way. Doesn't reduce cost, doesn't increase fan base, doesn't even make sense...in terms of the activity.

But you seem to be so sure you understand the activity, the kids, the economics better than the rest of us...who have been in the trenches for decades. By all means enlighten us, and I'll try to remember to take a peak at your wisdom over my corn flakes in the morning.

What I'm saying is that adding woodwinds (which I am against, by the way) has nothing to do with the business side of the activity. You were the one that hijacked the thread with the comments about how the activity sucks compared to when it was getting kids off the streets.

Oh, and for the record, I've been involved in the activity for decades as well. Additionally, I have a pretty good idea about the economics of the activity too.

Whats your problem? I just kindly and respectfully gave my opinion yet you just threw all kindness out the door. Yes I agree woodwinds form a marching band but their is no need to attack me on this forum. I just think that more people on this forum should act like adults and express our own opinions on this forum like normal logical people would. This being said I will not return to this web page until I feel I need to come back and sooner or later post something again... I am just sick and tired of being attacked on this forum for giving out my own opinions... I will always be a DCI fan... I will always hope for the best...

Oh please. I said you were " naive " on this issue that woodwinds won't be used in field competition someday. ( my opinion) That's hardly a" personal attack ". If you think calling you naive with your head in the sand is a " personal attack " then maybe you SHOULD consider taking some time off.... so you can grow a thicker skin.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm sure some of these directors were pushed and prodded by the caption heads and designers of thier respected corps to vote in favor of this. It's more than just a Hopkins ideology. There are a lot of influential designers and instructors out there that are quite good at getting what they want or moving on to another corps where they will get thier way. The current state of the the activity, folks.

*Sigh*

Anyone else remember when being called a "Bando" was an insult?

To quote Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Drum Corps International 1972-2010 Marching Band International 2010-????

"Yet the pre-show proposal was passed by a decisive 22-2 vote"

Hmm. 22-2, that's a pretty sizable margin. It's amazing to think that Hopkins' hoodwinked 21 other directors to get woodwinds legalized. Or maybe he didn't hoodwink anyone, and this rule doesn't legalize woodwinds at all. Which do you believe? I'm going with Occam's Razor on this one. Rather than buy into this fear of a grand conspiracy, I'm going to ask a simple question. Weren't woodwinds and other illegal instruments already permitted in the pre-show? Had I asked anyone on DCP yesterday whether the pre-show was judged or not, I bet that every person would have said that it is now. So if the pre-show is not judged, and therefore not penalized, then there is no such thing as an illegal instrument in the pre-show.

This door's been open for a long time. To my eye, the only thing this vote accomplishes is to confirm that any corps is capable of stepping through that door if they choose. Me, I'm looking forward to it.

It does make woodwinds legal in the preshow. The way that it's worded and comments from other directors makes it pretty clear Hopkins wasn't simply intending to propose a rule to clarify what "was already in place."