Why is Change a so bad?

This may warrent its own thread BUT ........................We talk on here about tradition...old verses new brass vs woods..so on and so on, maybe we need to address what the members of TODAY need and maybe want. Not that i think kids should be consulted on such issues AT ALL but have directors looked at the big picture . Do we on DCP forget what we wanted or needed. Todays member can be very different with very different needs and wants as far as the activity is concerned, MAybe the changes taking place are to service todays youth not yesterdays . Just a thought

The changes taking place are meant to serve today's designers. They want the same tools they have available in band, indoor guard, whatever available to them in drum corps. Which is fine, IMO. But it's not about "the kids".

No kid ever said "Well, drum corps is awesome, but I'm not joining one until they have amps, synths, and voiceovers." By the same token, no kid has since said, "WHOA!!! Amps and synths! Sign me up!". Excepting the synth players, of course. Today's kids are drawn to drum corps for the same reasons kids have always been drawn to drum corps. The rule changes have neither helped nor hurt this . . . it's simply irrelevant to most of today's marchers, which is why they're so mystified (and sometimes angered) when old-timers kick up such a fuss about these things.

That at least is what I've heard from the hundreds of marching members, drum corps auditionees, band kids, etc. that I've discussed this with. I'd be surprised if you could find one kid (with the obvious exceptions) who has joined drum corps because it has become "more like band", or a kid who decided to avoid drum corps because it was "too different".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drum corps changed a lot from 1972-2002 without needing any of the stuff added post amps...and did well

In 1988, a change was implemented in which the Div 1 top 12 finalists drew for finals position. That change was dropped like a hot rock after only one year and they reverted back to the old system. For those that do not like WW and electronics being involved in DCI, figure out what was the catalyst which caused the corps to revert the seeding system in 1989, and you might be able to keep WW and electronics out of future DCI programs.

except John, that which you call cool extra stuff is polarizing the paying customer more and more.

so maybe kids want that...but if fewer and fewer people want to pay to see it, who wins?

Thats exactly my point Just remember the kids that want it today are the paying customers of tomorrow.

no money was involved in that change. top 5 were still top 5, tho maybe out of order, and 6-12 were still 6-12

no money was involved in that change. top 5 were still top 5, tho maybe out of order, and 6-12 were still 6-12

Makes sense. Many corps have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment, so they would be hard pressed to revert that rule. Following that line of reasoning, once corps begin to purchase tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars worth of WW’s then they will also most likely be here to stay as a part of DCI. Correct?

The changes taking place are meant to serve today's designers. They want the same tools they have available in band, indoor guard, whatever available to them in drum corps. Which is fine, IMO. But it's not about "the kids".

No kid ever said "Well, drum corps is awesome, but I'm not joining one until they have amps, synths, and voiceovers." By the same token, no kid has since said, "WHOA!!! Amps and synths! Sign me up!". Excepting the synth players, of course. Today's kids are drawn to drum corps for the same reasons kids have always been drawn to drum corps. The rule changes have neither helped nor hurt this . . . it's simply irrelevant to most of today's marchers, which is why they're so mystified (and sometimes angered) when old-timers kick up such a fuss about these things.

That at least is what I've heard from the hundreds of marching members, drum corps auditionees, band kids, etc. that I've discussed this with. I'd be surprised if you could find one kid (with the obvious exceptions) who has joined drum corps because it has become "more like band", or a kid who decided to avoid drum corps because it was "too different".

I think you can similarly argue that designers exist for "the kids." It's very easy to read/hear some of these directors' and designers rants and think you actually know where they're coming from. But it's another thing altogether to actually KNOW where the designers/directors are coming from. They have pasts and roots in the activity similar to you: they marched their guts out for a corps that they loved and would've killed for. They came up through the ranks from volunteer techs, maybe, to designing small chunks of a show here or there, to changing the game and leading the trends in design. And when they talk to "their kids," they want to instill the same love and devotion and pride that they had as members.

Don't get me wrong, I often disagree with design choices, roll my eyes when one designer or director is explaining some convoluted or contrived idea. But don't read a press release and assume you know the intents of the top designers. They do what they do because they love their kids, want to see their kids perform the crap out of their show and reach their goals. They do it because they love to see their kids max out a show at Finals (or Semi's, or whenever). They do it because they love to see the look on their kids' faces when they're proud of their show/season.

Do they make money designing for corps? Of course. Do they get other jobs thanks to their work with top corps? Of course. Why begrudge them their good fortunes? Just because someone wants to add an oboe solo to a show because it's a cool color (in their mind) that they want to explore, doesn't mean that their some evil, selfish person.

Makes sense. Many corps have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment, so they would be hard pressed to revert that rule. Following that line of reasoning, once corps begin to purchase tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars worth of WW’s then they will also most likely be here to stay as a part of DCI. Correct?

Please don't take what I'm about to say as me supporting adding woodwinds to DCI competitive shows. I don't. However...

If woodwinds are someday made legal, it's highly unlikely you're going to see a line of 20 flutes or clarinets marching out on the field. What you'll see and hear is amplified woodwind instruments based in the pit, or on wireless mics used more like field props. Woodwind instruments simply do not have the projection capabilities to keep up with a full brass line. You'll see them used in far different ways that you would by your typical marching band.

Having said that, I'll again attest to the fact that there simply isn't as much support for woodwinds amongst the corps instructional staffs as some here would lead you to believe.

Please don't take what I'm about to say as me supporting adding woodwinds to DCI competitive shows. I don't. However...

If woodwinds are someday made legal, it's highly unlikely you're going to see a line of 20 flutes or clarinets marching out on the field. What you'll see and hear is amplified woodwind instruments based in the pit, or on wireless mics used more like field props. Woodwind instruments simply do not have the projection capabilities to keep up with a full brass line. You'll see them used in far different ways that you would by your typical marching band.

Having said that, I'll again attest to the fact that there simply isn't as much support for woodwinds amongst the corps instructional staffs as some here would lead you to believe.

I think you are right as far as how WW will be used

Anyway, I think if we were to define the true "fundamentals" of the activity, you can substitute any instrument or design aspect for something else, and the basic ideals still apply.

ok,... so just what ARE the " fundamentals " of the Drum and Bugle Corps today in your view ?......" fundamentals " that I presume you would believe should never be altered ? ( after all that is the very essence of the " fundamentals " of something... anything) and upon which we could then " substitute any instrument or design for something else ?

We know what" the intangibles "are... ie, discipline, hard work, time management skills, musical training enhancement, etc and all that. But just what ARE " the fundamental components " of the Drum Corps now that presumably should never be altered ?

Not sure if we know anymore.

Edited by BRASSO