Why is Change a so bad?

sorry meant teach..and DCA isnt waht it was 20 or even 10 years ago its very young and with that will come lots of change in the near future

Could be.... Right now, things seem to be stable there. there are enough people on board who I thnk are more reasonable and aware of history that it would be far more difficult to put some of this on the members.

And cost is a far bigger issue there for most corps. Expenditures on this sort of stuff would make some of their toes curl.

And, there are a few older guys like myself who also teach there who I know would counsel against that kind of thing at this point.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

Things will work out in some form, I have a feeling, in one way or another.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember kiddies.... If a change occurs and you agree with it or could care less, then you are open minded and correct. If someone disagrees with that change then they are a close minded dinosaur and doesn't deserve any respect.

But Mr F... what happens if a change occurs that you don't like????

*whack upside da haid* Then you don't post about it, the important thing is that you look good, not that you have a discussion about it. I mean, God forbid you actually learn something by listening to someone who disagrees with you.

<Man am I a PITA when I go off my post-op Percoset.... :tongue: >

s/ Snow Whites 8th dwarf... Snarly..... :rolleyes:

Edit: Not directed at everyone... just a few...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Why IS the traditional so bad? That was a pre coffee post.

Even better grammar...Why is tradition regarded as being bad?

I've long had some thoughts on tradition.

A. Tradition is something that is done for more than a couple years.

B. (Not original with me.) Things aren't what they used to be; and what's more, they never were.

C. Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition.

D. Some day a corps will come out with a Sousa show and people will consider it downright radical.

E. Everything new is old again.

E. Everything new is old again.

LOL and :tongue: .....

Everytime I see a new person get upset with a "not so new" :rolleyes: person over change I have to laugh. Just keep thinking "See you in 20 years and we'll see what your thoughts are. If you're still around." Not meant to be a slam, just seen it a lot over the decades. Even with that ugly mug I see in the mirror every AM. *ugh*

I'm still waiting for someone like Cavs or Madison do a "History of Our Corps" show with updated charts of pieces of past shows. Kinda like early 2000s Cabs doing 1975 Muchachos.

I'm still waiting for someone like Cavs or Madison do a "History of Our Corps" show with updated charts of pieces of past shows. Kinda like early 2000s Cabs doing 1975 Muchachos.

You won't have to wait very long. Madison is doing exactly that this summer.

You won't have to wait very long. Madison is doing exactly that this summer.

Thanks John, will have to check the website....

Good grief <$1 to Charlie Brown> may have to listen to this somehow....

Edit: Checked and forgot about Slaughter and Rhapsody being discussed before... I was thinking more of a pieces thru the years. But will be interested hearing 1975 (again 1975) being done with todays instruments, style and that 3rd valve thingee.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You can say it over and over and it still won't be true. A corps can choose to use electronics or not. That alone doesn't make you competitive, as some would imply.

1. It's not just me saying it. We have a director of a multiple-DCI-champ saying it. We have judges telling corps they'll place last in their caption until they switch to the new stuff. We have judging sheets listing this stuff as "criteria" to be met.

2. And yes, I can say it over and over, because you can't show me a single world-class corps that takes exception to using Bb/F brass, amplification or electronic instruments. If any of those things were "optional", there would be at least one corps among the 23 demonstrating that freedom of choice.

In all honesty, drum corps is obsolete to almost all of the world. Change is necessary for this dying activity to have a chance at surviving. I can't believe people on here are really looking up the definition for bugle, just to prove that its not technically "drum and bugle corps." Seriously? Get over yourself - no one cares. Drum Corps is 1000 % better than it was 20 years ago - the show experience is better, the instruments are better, and the corps perform on a much higher level. Many changes have taken place since 20 years ago, and they are all for the better. This activity has evolved, and will continue to evolve - get over it and stop #####ing.

If what you say is true and drum corps is obsolete to almost all of the world and the activity is dying then maybe the changes over the past 20 years are the reason for that.