Dear Mr. Director

Yes, kamarag, I'm aware the Blue Stars used a clarinet in their pre-show last year.

Guess I should have stated the obvious, that being "the use of woodwinds in competition."

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hoped and prayed that woodwinds would never see the light of day on a drumcorps field but, if that 1st soloist or segment comes out and "lights it up" I still won't like the idea but I sure as hell won't boo.

Yes, kamarag, I'm aware the Blue Stars used a clarinet in their pre-show last year.

Guess I should have stated the obvious, that being "the use of woodwinds in competition."

That's been going on at I&E for several years, with mixed results. Not a lot of participants, but the ones I've heard have been pretty impressive.

You won't hear woodwinds in competition anytime soon because they aren't legal (and won't be anytime soon).

I hoped and prayed that woodwinds would never see the light of day on a drumcorps field but, if that 1st soloist or segment comes out and "lights it up" I still won't like the idea but I sure as hell won't boo.

will you pay to go watch?

Fastone- I never thought I'd see flutes in drum corps either! And like you, I wouldn't boo either.

But you'd have to admit, Jim Costello, Hy Dreitzer, Truman Crawford, and Jim Jones, oh, and Gail Royer....all all turning in their graves, with tears in their eyes.

Fastone- I never thought I'd see flutes in drum corps either! And like you, I wouldn't boo either.

But you'd have to admit, Jim Costello, Hy Dreitzer, Truman Crawford, and Jim Jones, oh, and Gail Royer....all all turning in their graves, with tears in their eyes.

OK i promise to stay civil and clam. I totally get where you are coming from and agree to a point ,But PLEASE don;t speak for some of these people and what they may have done if they were here in 2010. Thats plain not right. These people were visionaries and knew how to please all concerned. They also knew how to take the next step for survival. Im not saying they would have bought the WW issue at all. but neither should you assume of the opposite.

i Knew all these men but most of all 1 of them was my dads godfather so I do know a bit.

thank you. Hope i didn't come off rude. just hit a nerve.

OK i promise to stay civil and clam. I totally get where you are coming from and agree to a point ,But PLEASE don;t speak for some of these people and what they may have done if they were here in 2010. Thats plain not right. These people were visionaries and knew how to please all concerned. They also knew how to take the next step for survival. Im not saying they would have bought the WW issue at all. but neither should you assume of the opposite.

i Knew all these men but most of all 1 of them was my dads godfather so I do know a bit.

thank you. Hope i didn't come off rude. just hit a nerve.

Well Hy Dreitzer for one said he didn't care if horns had 6 valves. As long as it was in the key of G to keep that drum corps sound.

Guardling- Please, do tell, which of these great drum corps leaders that I listed, would jump for joy at the prospect of woodwinds in a drum corps.

I too, knew these people, and their passion for drum corps. If they were all fired up about woodwinds, wouldn't they have devoted their energies to marching bands?

No, I didn't think so. :blink:

Guardling- Please, do tell, which of these great drum corps leaders that I listed, would jump for joy at the prospect of woodwinds in a drum corps.

I too, knew these people, and their passion for drum corps. If they were all fired up about woodwinds, wouldn't they have devoted their energies to marching bands?

No, I didn't think so. :blink:

Maybe none..maybe all who knows they arent with us so we cant assume anything thats all im saying. I know my Dads godfather would have weighed it all out as I would think all these greats would have... Maybe coming up with everything you are saying....maybe not

If you don't want to get booed, don't do something that will get booed.

I guarantee you a corps with a woodwind solo will not have a woodwind solo the next year if every time they step on the field they get booed.

If you don't want the activity to go to ####, there are active measures that you, as a fan, can take. Booing is one of those measures and gets your point across loud and clear.

Hopkins even said last year how nice it was to have his corps getting lots of applause last year v. what they were getting in the few years prior.

Amen!

Any enterprise that does not value the customer is headed straight to oblivion. It may take a few hours, or a few years. But if you arn't growing, or replenishing lost customers, then it's not rocket science that the enterprise is headed to it's ultimate demise.

Well, when designers want to create anything they want, they seem to get a bit crazy...especially when they want to one-up their colleagues. This idea has been talked about before, the whole "designers designing for other designers. It's getting worse with this cross-blending of BOA/DCI/WGI.