Out of the Mouths of Babes

In another thread I posted a letter to corps directors expressing my feelings about including WW in their production (hat tip to Granny). But I couldn't send it because I was concerned that I'd exclude my 10 year old son from joining a snare line someday.

So I asked him.

With the introduction of WW he lost all interest entirely. He said "It wouldn't be drum corps. Why bother?" He went on to describe it as marching bad in the summer and asked why I would want him to do that. He said "I like the sound of drums and brass. I wouldn't get that sound with WW." His words.

You surely can't call my 10 year old a "dinosaur" as I am today, although it's true that his opinions are greatly formed by what he takes in from me. But he could have just as easily said "Heck Dad, I just want to get on the field. I don't care if it's with a drum corps or a marching band." But he didn't. (And, BTW, he really does have the hands.)

So I can assure you that if DCI introduces WWs that I will cease my support, time, energy, money, and interest. My son will direct his playing interests elsewhere, and some drum corps will miss a great student of the art.

The choice is theirs.

And I'm writing my letter.

Thanks, Granny, for helping me clarify my position.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In another thread I posted a letter to corps directors expressing my feelings about including WW in their production (hat tip to Granny). But I couldn't send it because I was concerned that I'd exclude my 10 year old son from joining a snare line someday.

So I asked him.

With the introduction of WW he lost all interest entirely. He said "It wouldn't be drum corps. Why bother?" He went on to describe it as marching bad in the summer and asked why I would want him to do that. He said "I like the sound of drums and brass. I wouldn't get that sound with WW." His words.

You surely can't call my 10 year old a "dinosaur" as I am today, although it's true that his opinions are greatly formed by what he takes in from me. But he could have just as easily said "Heck Dad, I just want to get on the field. I don't care if it's with a drum corps or a marching band." But he didn't. (And, BTW, he really does have the hands.)

So I can assure you that if DCI introduces WWs that I will cease my support, time, energy, money, and interest. My son will direct his playing interests elsewhere, and some drum corps will miss a great student of the art.

The choice is theirs.

Interesting point, and I'm by no means calling you or your 10 year old out. But how do we know what drum corps sounds like with WW? Because we know what high school marching bands sound like? Well, I know what an orchestra sounds like by going to the local high school, why should I bother going to the Chicago Symphony?

Don't get me wrong, I am not for WW in the judged portion of drum corps. However, I find it a little odd to hear comments like this. But, out of a 10 year old, I can smile about it. Out of a 40 year old, seems a little short sighted.

No, this is not another thread about WW. It's a thread about a ten yr. old smart enough to know that if it's not going to be drum corps anymore, why bother. Those young talented hands might be better suited to persue a pipe band, fife& drum corps, rock band, jazz band, symphony orchestra, ....

Something that is at least what it says it is! :rolleyes:

No, this is not another thread about WW. It's a thread about a ten yr. old smart enough to know that if it's not going to be drum corps anymore, why bother. Those young talented hands might be better suited to persue a pipe band, fife& drum corps, rock band, jazz band, symphony orchestra, ....

Something that is at least what it says it is! :tongue:

....another thread about woodwinds.... :rolleyes:

So I asked him.

The choice is theirs.

He can always join a DCA "all age" corps...

Something that is at least what it says it is! :blink:

A 10 year old not knowing...ooo pleaseeeeeeee thats as absurd as some of the other comments. I dont like woodwinds either but are you joking. Now if the 10 year old said He thought that was the future of DC you would have said what the hell does a 10 year old know especially about DC history. :blink:

A 10 year old not knowing...ooo pleaseeeeeeee thats as absurd as some of the other comments. I dont like woodwinds either but are you joking. Now if the 10 year old said He thought that was the future of DC you would have said what the hell does a 10 year old know especially about DC history. :blink:

to clear up i meant a 10 year old knowing it wont be drum corps anymore....ughhhhhh :blink: