drum corps G-7's

I have a hard time believing in this, especially from Phantom.

Phantom used to be a close knit family. They trained a Regiment, once a Regiment always a Regiment, and Regiment age-outs moved into staff. Of course Dr. Dan Richardson and Dan Farrell are still part of the organization; but with the addition of Tony Hall (Cadets) and Rick Valenzuela (SCV) other ideas and influences crept into the organization. For example, Nick Scotella, a Regiment alum, was the drill designer for the 2008 show and they finished first; Nick was also the drill designer for the 2009 show and they canned him after the season to hire Myron Rosander (SCV). I am not saying that was bad, nor am I saying it was good. What I am saying that if this was the Regiment of the eighties they would have kept Nick, or brought in another Regiment person, and I would be surprised if they would have agreed to a G-7; but with the Regiment of the new millennium, I would not be surprised if they are a part of this (if "this” is really true).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't this proposal require a majority of WC voting directors voting for it? How could they possibly ever generate more than their own 7 votes in favor of this?

Wouldn't this proposal require a majority of WC voting directors voting for it? How could they possibly ever generate more than their own 7 votes in favor of this?

There are two scenarios I can see: a) This was just a Board meeting with power playing going on; or b) This was an entire Member meeting with power playing going on. We really do not know what that power play was (is) until the DCW article is published; but if DCW says there actually was a Power Play with major change implications, something is certainly afoot.

Hopkins has publicily griped in the past ( in his blog ) that he felt his corps was not getting the level of applicant thet they rightfully deserved.

That's a shocker. The Cadets already have the reputation of getting the cream of the crop in the activity every year, and I don't think that's an incorrect assumption. I'd like to see that blog entry myself-- I'm a tad skeptical he'd whine like that. It indirectly insults the kids that they do have trying out and insinuates they stink.

And for someone used to taking the hand that's dealt them and playing it to the nines when the HS Band kids show up that want to be in band that year at camp, I ask-- What ever happened to teaching and developing talent to where you need them, or... whooops! is that now the jobs of the DCA Corps and corps like Pioneer to do all of the dirty work!? It sure makes your work at teaching a lot easier when everyone's already incredibly capable, well-educated, hand-picked, and talented instead of educating someone who knows dirt on day one.

I'll toss the grenade into the hole now and run and make a South Park statement now-

If The Cadets really wanted the "best" applicants, they could get far more top notch kids in the corps if it was more affordable. For every kid in a corps, I can likely think of 5 to 10 that would be more than capable of doing DCI out there that don't have the money, or in some cases, don't think they're good enough but actually are. A lot of kids are pretty hard on themselves and don't get the encouragement they need.

As it is, We had a young man affiliated with the Westshoremen Alumni family looking for financial assistance to help him out with his shot at Cadets this year. He's a good kid, got at least one DCA ring, and is still unsure of he's gonna make the cut, but needs x cash anyhow. I'd imagine there are how many kids who *do* make the cut or *would* make the cut but have to drop due to finances. The kid who knows he or she is properly bankrolled and the money's in the bank can breathe just a bit easier, can't they?

Than again, if they drop fees to the performer, that means more asking for money from us- and with my work hours cut, that's unlikely as well.

All they need to do is threaten to take their ball away if those without a ball won't agree to their rules

If I was a betting man I'll bet we hear that it was just a misunderstanding , and next year there is no split amoung the Magnificent Seven into two tour groups , amazingly the schedule will reflect the dirty work! ( tour a will be 1-7 tour b will be all others )

I agree fully with a previous poster that some director's are falling out of touch ( can't believe it and will change the rules to reinforce their view of the activity )

This is yet another thing that Hoppy stated years ago that he wanted. A super division of 7 or 8 Corps and let the others

fend for themselves. He said this PUBLICLY many times and everyone just blew it off like it wouldn't happen

or that he wouldn't be able to do it. Even if this isn't what was proposed this past weekend, it will be proposed again eventually. And what wise Mr. Hoppy doesn't seem to understand is that if you continue ripping out the "bottom" Corps

of the activity, there will be no top Corps eventually. This is not good for the activity. The other Corps will be

getting significantly less in performance fees because these top dogs are going to be taking more pieces

of a smaller pie. There will one day be no more pie. This is not sustainable.

Well if this does go through in 2011, I will never spend another penny

on any of those "elite" Corps. Maybe out of the ashes of DCI, a new organization will emerge, where leaders

with common sense will step in and create something that can actually serve the youth and the communities

they are from. where you don't have to have a million dollar per year budget to go on tour. Where tickets don't

cost 50 to 100 dollars to see 7 Corps. Where a member can join and not have to fork over 2-3 grand!

Maybe DCM can come back. I know the overlords of DCI would try to crush something like that because

it would threaten their money, but something needs to happen. Well, I can dream anyway.

I posted Hops views in the Canges to DCi Thread.

Has anyone thought of this as a possible angle that they are looking at doing: The G-7, if true, does a national tour together but they do not compete; they create a traveling non-competitive show like the framework of that Show of Champions out in CA after finals a few years ago. They would move the G-7 show from city to city drawing for starting times at each venue so that no single corps was seen as better than another. That, to me, makes the most sense if they are contemplating an elite system.

Tour of Champions made sense, as they finally capitlized on California being ignored for August shows after 35 years.

But I'd love to see the market research showing the market is there for this.

There's many versions of this theme out there, and no one who posts here has all of the facts or is willing to share them all.

I;m dying to see what DCi finally releases and what gets out there that fills in anything missing from the press release. Rumor has it the meetings were open, so hopefully someone took detailed notes and will release the info not contained in whatever press release comes out.

if half of what has been posted here is accurate, this could be really bad...on all levels.

because not only would DCI likely suffer, if the supposed G7 goes to do their thing and they price themselves out of the market, they will lose too.

There's many versions of this theme out there, and no one who posts here has all of the facts or is willing to share them all.

I;m dying to see what DCi finally releases and what gets out there that fills in anything missing from the press release.

I am not expecting any press release from DCI on this.

But with relegation, you're again putting the money - and access to the "extra" performances - in the hands of judges on the field. Something DCI has been trying to get away from for many years now. Of course, I don't have a better answer, either.

Mike

agreed. look at the NCAA...even teams that dont make the tournaments or bowls get some revenue from the conference because of those that do

I am not expecting any press release from DCI on this.

I am. there's no way they will not let their version of whatever is going on get out