New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

There is a reason that it is being sold with the bells and whistles. History would indicate that the originator/proposer operates in this manner to sell the product with an ulterior motive after the foot is in the door.

As others have pointed out, it is interesting what is not being said or addressed. The rest of WC and OC?

Buyer beware and whatnot.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to know more on the "administrative points" that are kind of listed as an afterthought in this. It seems to me that one of the key issue people have with this is the payout difference that's been floated.

Now, you can certainly argue that since these groups are being asked to do more and, in some respects, tour more . . .that they should see a few more dollars.

However, the recommendations of an "ad hoc" committee seems at odds with the promotion of all drum corps, big and small that DCI has as a mission statement. If you are part of DCI, there has to be buy in to that idea, and I don't see that here.

I don't think it's in DCI's best interest to support this, or for any of the board to vote for it, as it starts the clear delineation of World Class into something else that's self-serving to only a few groups.

If that's the road that these seven choose, it needs to be squarely outside the safety net of DCI.

IMO, the current touring touring model for DCI's World Class corps needs to be changed/modified at some point, because I think the current model is unsustainable.

I have no idea what the answer is to the problem, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Fran

There is a reason that it is being sold with the bells and whistles. History would indicate that the originator/proposer operates in this manner to sell the product with an ulterior motive after the foot is in the door.

As others have pointed out, it is interesting what is not being said or addressed. The rest of WC and OC?

Buyer beware and whatnot.

Right. We don't want a Caesar heading this.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Steve Vickers for posting his article online. He didn't have to do it, but very glad he did. Everyone thank him by going and buying a subscription tonight... I'm going to.

Thanks Steve!!

Here is the article:

May 12-16, 2010 -- A philosophical division over the future direction and long-term sustainability of Drum Corps International has developed within the leadership of the organization’s member corps. While those differences will not threaten DCI’s 2010 summer tour -- and officials within DCI report ticket sales are running ahead of projected targets in many markets -- they have already produced action on the future leadership of the organization.

Those actions started in a board of directors (six corps directors and three outside, non-affiliated members) meeting in Rosemont, IL, on Wednesday, May 12, and Thursday, May 13, and led to a special May 16 conference call among the full DCI voting membership (22 World Class corps).

During the conference call, leaders of DCI’s World Class corps decided by a 12-9 vote to make adjustments to the composition of the board in an effort to better balance the representation of all of its members. An interim board was proposed and subsequently ratified by a majority of the corps represented on the call, installing four new members and leaving four of those already seated.

The full membership will conduct a regular election to fill the nine board positions at DCI’s January 2011 annual meeting, in compliance with the bylaws of the corporation.

Drum Corps World posted a teaser about this news on its Facebook page on Friday, May 14 -- http://www.facebook.com/DrumCorpsWorld and Twitter -- http://twitter.com/DrumCorpsWorld -- site following the executive board meeting and it generated much speculation and concern about DCI’s future in posts on Drum Corps Planet’s Forums that can be found at: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index. php?showtopic=135687&hl=\Drum

Corps World\

Rest of article here http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=811

Edited by Danielle
Edited to remove entire article -dp