New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

If this goes through....not only are we eliminating 95 percent of open class. They would be setting up 3 separate divisions.....didn't we just do away with 3 divisions for the betterment of the activity? Also I have a major concern with the supposed "top 7" having two votes to everybody else's one or none. They would basically rule DCI without a care in the world. They get a couple corps to agree with them and they could pass anything and everything they want. I think if they want to take their ball and go elsewhere, the fine....don't let the door hit ya in the ### on your way out. I think a finals with everyone else would be fantastic and for the most part more entertaining than what I saw this past year. This could realistically kill about half the drum corps associated with DCI. I think separating yourself from the ones that feed you would be death to the 7. If the other open and world class corps band together, I see them coming out way better in the end because they will have stayed true to themselves and DCI.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone really surprised by all of this... really?

DCW cites how we've seen this kind of "rhetoric" in relation to the formation of the combine. More recent examples would be the assassination of DCM, and the repeated acts of throwing Div. II/III/Open Class units under the bus for over a decade.

I suspect that Scott Stewart is probably wondering what took this "G7" group so long. He boldly predicted this crap back in 1997.

It seems that DCI's "chickens have come home to roost." I hope someone somewhere is prepared to pick up the pieces when this house of cards comes crashing down.

Oh yea... back in 2004 I also recall people being ridiculed for suggesting that the "Tour of Champions" event would be a precursor to an elitist breakaway from the fold. How long have people been warning that several of the DCI power players were working an agenda toward an 8-9 member group of "super corps," and that anything beyond that select group was essentially dead weight that was consuming slices of the pie that could/should be reserved for the "top acts"? Oops! I guess those conspiracy theorists were right.

Yup, all valid issues, but at least this is a start on something new. IMO, stagnation already exists, and this is a way to stir the pot. As people have already pointed out ("WHo decided the G7? PR was 9th last year! Why is CC already in with only 3 top 6 finishes?") the "top tier" concept will have to be malleable. Maybe in 3 years, it will be re-evaluated,and expandeD, contracted, or changed.

If it works, then non-G7 corps will have more incentive to get into that group. I'd love to see a Top 12 so equally excellent that Semi Finals #12 has a legit shot at #1 the next night.

I like to see REPEATED success rewarded. I like to see REPEATED failure punished. (You guessed it, I'm not a fan of "too big to fail.")

BTW, how can excellence ever become stagnant? I'm never bored by excellence.

I repeat, what's wrong with keeping a "top 7" as a part of the top 12 i.e. the way things are?

You can find excellence becoming stagnant. This is an odd reference, but take comedy movies. Anchorman and Talladega Nights were largely found hilarious. Then Will Ferrell and crew kept making movies with the same style of humor, in Semi-Pro and Step Brothers (not as good of an example) and saw the same humor to be old and worn out.

So along came a new style of humor - The Knocked Up, Superbad crew. They kept making movies that were hilarious, this time branching out a little more with movies like Juno, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But then came along things like I Love You, Man, and fans started getting bored with the same style of humor.

Along comes The Hangover. Which at this point in time is still funny, but I'm willing to bet that eventually Zach Galifakinakis and crew will get tired out, just like Will Ferrell, and Seth Rogen.

Just a theory, but excellence can get tired and boring. Why would we have gone from Baroque, to Classical, to Romantic, to Impressionist, 20th century, and neoclassicism. People get tired of the same kind of excellence.

* this sounds very similar to the Tour of Champions thing from a few years ago, which was GREAT for the fans and corps alike

Great for the fans, yes. Great for the corps...debatable. I know quite a few kids who were corps members on that tour, and to a man, they hated it. Not sure what that has to do with all this G7 stuff, but there you go.