New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

i guess i don't see what the big deal is.

faced with what they have determined to be an imminent demise of the governing body, several groups have apparently banded together to keep their doors open long enough to see what is next.

i know it hurts personally, but frankly this is good business.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

d

Maybe you should go back read how many concrete facts about the proposals are in the DCW article. Go head and write them down -- I think you'll be surprised.

NVM I'll do it now:

G7 consists of Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats

Hopkins presented on behalf of the G7

There would be G7 exclusive shows on some Fridays and Sundays.

The G7 thinks the current compensation structure is inadquate.

Four board members' corps are in the G7.

The board voted to continue to look at the proposal.

There was a teleconference about this apparent conflict of interested and the board may have changed.

The rest of the article is conditionals, suppositions, and opinion. No hard facts.

if you knew Vickers, he wouldnt print something that hasn't been verified by many sources.

A proposal is enough for me to stop donating (if I had enough to donate). The proposal is also a statement of character of those corps administrators, which also reflects the marching members (The attitudes, and beliefs are passed down through the ranks, and no offense meant, but you are proof of that).

And exactly what attitude is that?

i guess i don't see what the big deal is.

faced with what they have determined to be an imminent demise of the governing body, several groups have apparently banded together to keep their doors open long enough to see what is next.

i know it hurts personally, but frankly this is good business.

Right, for those 7 groups it's an excellent business decision. For the activity of drum corps, not so much.

LOL, good point but DCI is run slightly differently.

Seriously, I do think having DCW and other placs "leak" this info was planned. Think this is a way for some people at DCI to gauge what the fan attitude will be.

Me thinks the folks at DCI ( at least the 50% who will be rif'd ) got it out to save themselves!

Also the four BOD folks sent packing were most likely the " at large " folks affiliated with no corps ( the non G7 needed to be represented )

Right, for those 7 groups it's an excellent business decision. For the activity of drum corps, not so much.

uh huh... so what is worse? watching drum corps fade into obscurity as the current brands are eroded, in an attempt to "save" the activity, or end up with seven really strong organizations if and when something new needs to be founded.

It is certainly not a G21 now. Corps like the Mandarins and Pacific Crest might be in the same division as the G7 corps, but that's where the comparisons end. There is a world of difference between what the G7 corps offer in terms of consistent entertainment, excellence of performance, and draw and marketability, versus what the quarterfinalist corps are able to provide. I see no harm in recognize that fact and using it as a starting point for any discussion of the future of the activity.

Are you kidding? You're basically saying that it's not even a contest. Maybe in this day of wide spreads and slotting, there's some truth in that....but formal admission of such undercuts ticket sales to whatever portion of fans are paying to see an actual competition.

Never mind that if you stop picking on Mandarins and Pacific Crest for a moment. Is there a world of difference between Boston Crusaders/Blue Stars and the G7 that should be formally recognized? Blue Knights? Glassmen? Just where should that line be drawn, and why?

The name this G-7 summit group gave themselves even reeks of arrogance:

The " TOP ACTS " ?

While it's not debatable that some of these Corps are " TOP SCORING " corps, there is considerable disagreement they are the most entertaining acts each and every year. Far from it. Many... MANY fans.....find a lot of the " top acts" in their favorite 7 corps in any given year come from a mixture of those Corps found both within and from beyond the top 7 placement finishers. Some even find their personal " top acts " from outside the top 7 placing Corps. Also, Phantom Regiment did not finish in the top 7 last year. By definition, that would not qualify them as a " TOP ACT " from last year. However, Phantom still was within my personal 7 favorite entertaining Corps last year, despite their placement finish. So this phrase 7 " TOP ACTS " from the press release they sent out reeks of arrogance, imo.

And I formally request that this group, DCP, change the name we've given to this elite group from the G-7 to the E-7 (for Elite, to better reflect how they feel about themselves). The G7, with its connotation of having some "world influence" importance, is substantially too high-minded.

Heck, call them the K-7 to represent the "Knucklehead 7" as far as I care, just not G7.

Just my humble request.

Why does DCW's Facebook page say the following, then?

Is DCI lying, or is DCW?

oops. use of facts. darn it Bawker, now our cabal has been out cabaled

Also the four BOD folks sent packing were most likely the " at large " folks affiliated with no corps ( the non G7 needed to be represented )

This is not the case. Hopefully DCI will release a statement on the make-up of the new BoD, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd post what I know, but it's only partial information.