Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

Heh, D-Cex it looks like you hit 'send' too soon, and posted only craiga's comments in the quote block... which is ironic when you consider your signature. I got a good chuckle out of that one.

indeed

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The corps pretty much folded at the end of the 1982 season.....they were financially victimized by a former manager and the resulting debts were huge. But, one line in the corps song says "This corps will never die..." and some of the members, alumni, and staff weren't going to let that happen, so the they scraped up some old equipment and uniforms and competed as "BOSTON"......with full (128 member) corps all around them, they brought audiences to their feet at every show. Not even being attacked by a street gang in Miami the day before prelims keep them from the field....all 19 horns.

In fact, one of the drum corps of the current G7 proudly wore BAC shirts under their uniforms at a couple shows that year...

as a sign of respect.

That's what I meant when I spoke of "survival".

It is amazing to me what some corps have endured and come through. There a inumerable similar stories from the Blue Stars history. There are at least two or three times over the last 30 years where the future of the corps was dependant on decisions made by a very small group of people under tremendous amounts of stress. Times where the obvious and sometimes relieving choice would have been to wrap it up and call it history. In 1993 in mid July one of the board members addressed the corps and informed us we just might not have the money to get to finals. We got there, and won div 3 with 14 brass, a small drumline, and a handful of guard that together formed the most determined drum corps I've ever been a part of. I remember dreaming what that show would have looked like with a full corps.

Nothing would make the idea of the G-7 (who evidently are far and above everyone else in talent) seem more rediculous than for a few corps to show up and pwn them all summer. Here's hoping, I know who I'm pulling for.

I couldn't agree more.

I think the whole G7 idea SUCKS, putting up ONE MORE WALL between "the elite", and the unwashed "everybody else"............I can't WAIT to see ANYONE outside the G7 kick the crap out of anyone INSIDE the G7 this season.

It is amazing to me what some corps have endured and come through. There a inumerable similar stories from the Blue Stars history. There are at least two or three times over the last 30 years where the future of the corps was dependant on decisions made by a very small group of people under tremendous amounts of stress. Times where the obvious and sometimes relieving choice would have been to wrap it up and call it history. In 1993 in mid July one of the board members addressed the corps and informed us we just might not have the money to get to finals. We got there, and won div 3 with 14 brass, a small drumline, and a handful of guard that together formed the most determined drum corps I've ever been a part of. I remember dreaming what that show would have looked like with a full corps.

That Candide show was one of my favorites from the Blue Stars in the 90's

---tom

I couldn't agree more.

I think the whole G7 idea SUCKS, putting up ONE MORE WALL between "the elite", and the unwashed "everybody else"............I can't WAIT to see ANYONE outside the G7 kick the crap out of anyone INSIDE the G7 this season.

....I wonder what kind of "closed door" "back-room" deals are being made with some judges as we speak (type) ??? :thumbup:

G

....I wonder what kind of "closed door" "back-room" deals are being made with some judges as we speak (type) ??? :thumbup:

G

I see the conspiracy theory is alive and kicking.

You never answered my question, or maybe you didnt see it: "How many shows do you go to a year" ??

G

Go back to the "how do you feel about the G7" thread. I already answered your question.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Happy Seventieth, Boston!

Good Luck, BAC, Troop, Stars, Madison, et al.

Burt Lancaster, in a 1991 Variety interview,

"Before he lost it, (the director... Sam) Peckinpah made me go see this

drum and bugle corps from Boston, the Boston Crusaders. Sam thought I would only really understand the power beneath despair by watching these guys. Yeah, he was right. In '73 and '83, the corps went out with just handfuls of guys on the horns and, ######, those man-gods could melt the gates of hell. Every single film I made after 'Valdez is Coming' is an allegory on the Boston Crusaders."

True story.

True story.

I always wondered if that was true. Does anyone have a copy of that Variety issue?

Good luck to all, and you bet your brass I want to see BAC and BS beat the G6.5 to a pulp. More motivation baby!