Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Well, I have so darn many mixed feelings about this I'm not sure even where to start.

But, Thank You, George, for saying something.

A nibble is nice for those of us who've stuck by this activity for as long as you have (oh, all right, and everyone else, too. Jeesh).

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not opening for me at all. i can get to his info page, but that's it.

this is working though: http://hopsblog2.livejournal.com/

Sorry, should of just posted the link.

What you call greed others would call survival.

That was my first thought what I chewed this thru what's left of my brain....

Question of course is, whos' survival is this geared for?

And if survival of the G7 corps, then sitting on a board whose function is doing what's best for the corps in DCI is a huge conflict of interest.

yes. but sadly, not many over here follow DCA like we do.

And my prediciton in 1993 was DCA (aka Sr corps) would be dead in 5-7 years.

Gonna be interesting how this works out......

The whole thing about Don Atchinson just puts me into WTF-land. Who was supposed to take over and how would this help? Month or so before the season starts yet?????

PS - What is the make up of the DCI BoD currently? Lot of pieces in the threads but no one has put this part together yet.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From Hopkins "and it's a proposal to add 6-8 events to the current schedule to see if we can get 7000 people to come out and have a great time?"

As far as I know, most/all corps have at least 6-8 days on tour that aren't a "show day." If these events are added on those days, how does this hurt anyone?

I said this earlier, it seems like everyone is assuming that these events would take place on every possible night other than Saturday regionals. 6-8 events over a 7 week tour? How different is that from corps making special appearances at theme parks, in parades, etc. that are commonplace among all corps?

Who's complaining about the Rose Bowl 4th of July show that will be in it's third year this season? I don't know if the corps are paid for their appearances at that particular event, but it's the same idea as far as a big exhibition show goes. Another example is the fan-judged show in Las Vegas last year. The attendance wasn't mind-blowing, but I think that's more the fault of the 100 degree temperature hours after the sun went down. Also the various "preview" and "family day" events that happen across the country early season. Many are free, but they still contain a merchandise selling and appeal for donations element to raise money for the corps.

I don't see this part of the idea as being greedy, or as stealing from any of the other corps. Are corps being stolen from when they don't participate in a show that other corps do as happens all the time on a regular tour? Is it unfair for corps to host their own home shows to raise more funds (ideally) than the typical show? Of course not. I see these G7 shows as being an extension of the "home show" contests, but spread across the country with additional content for the fans who choose to attend.

As Hopkins said directly before my above quote "And yes, there are many flaws, and many improvements and financial issues and on and on." All the other aspects of the proposal I'm not so sure about in it's current incarnation. But, I think the additional shows are a positive evolution for the activity, and it would be detrimental to require EVERY corps to take this approach, at least to start, especially for those corps that already have extremely tight travel budgets. However, I do think if corps outside of the G7 wish to take on that added commitment for these special events, then they should be allowed to participate as well.

Another assumption is that each corps at a G7 corps will have 60-90 minutes of content. If 4 corps are at the show, that's 6 hours... I don't think anyone could stand that, especially the performers. I think it would be more like Tour of Champions where there was one or two additional tunes immediately after the field show, plus a few songs at the end of the night where all the corps performed together. If I remember correctly, The Cadets (and maybe some of the other corps) used their "instant encore" time to feature small brass ensembles, the pit, drumline, etc. Add in I&E mixed, brass, and percussion ensemble pieces that the members are already working on, and that is plenty of content that does not detract very much from rehearsal time for the field show. Many or most corps already have encore pieces that are not part of their field show.

As many have mentioned throughout this conversation, these "top acts" benefit from not having to worry so much about the raw fundamentals of drum corps. This allows them to devote more time to more advanced education, including taking time to focus on music outside of their 11 and a half minute field show. How is this additional education negative for anyone? The members get a more diverse music education, and the audiences get even more music to enjoy. It would also allow opportunities for standout performers to showcase their talents in solo or small ensemble performances.

Sorry for this post being ridiculously long... that will be all for now.

Soooo who is setting up these additional shows and how close will they be to shows already set up? And will people go to the all G7 shows instead of the mixed shows on the next or previous night? I can see this taking audience away from the mixed shows which may result in them not being run in the future.

As for the appearances such as theme parks, etc, etc, I see no problem as it's a money maker for the corps. But when there are additional competitions that are run for the benfit of only a few corps that may impact the audience at other shows, that is a conflict.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

:tongue:

Are you wearing your black armband this week? Cheryl is gone! But they made it farther than I thought they would!

LOL!!!!

The good news is, she'll be back on the final results show, I'm sure... when they bring all the celebs and their partners back. :tongue:

Now back to our regularly-scheduled topic. :doh:

Fran

LOL!!!!

The good news is, she'll be back on the final results show, I'm sure... when they bring all the celebs and their partners back. :tongue:

Now back to our regularly-scheduled topic. :tongue:

Fran

Thats whats good about getting booted off in third, you still get to be on every episode !! Cheryl is my favorite too (besides Edyta...)

G

Soooo who is setting up these additional shows and how close will they be to shows already set up? And will people go to the all G7 shows instead of the mixed shows on the next or previous night? I can see this taking audience away from the mixed shows which may result in them not being run in the future.

As for the appearances such as theme parks, etc, etc, I see no problem as it's a money maker for the corps. But when there are additional competitions that are run for the benfit of only a few corps that may impact the audience at other shows, that is a conflict.

Any hypothetical answers I have to your questions would be based on the past examples I already mentioned; the Rose Bowl shows, Tour of Champions and the Las Vegas show which were designed to not conflict with any other events. I would imagine a similar approach would be taken for future similar events, I don't think it will be anyone's intention to just kill off smaller shows. Then again, I'm trying to be optimistic about all of this.