Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started this post on the other thread, on the topic of revenue sharing:

I'm not convinced the term "revenue sharing" is quite appropriate for this discussion. In the MLB it's clear which teams bring in how much money, and each year it's clear how much money is redistributed from the wealthier teams to the poorer teams. It's the same with other examples that have been brought up: NCAA Div. 1 athletics departments, etc.

While we all agree that the G7 are DCI's biggest draw, no one knows quite what this means monetarily. For all we know, the distribution of resources amongst corps may be already proportional to the money they bring in. I'm not just talking about the cold, hard cash DCI pays each corps based on placement. I'm talking less tangible things as well. DCI grants the elite corps immeasurably more marketing visibility -- not just in advertising, but in all the little things like encores, putting the elites to go on last, etc. --than lower ranking corps, which is worth hundreds of thousands, and maybe even millions, of dollars each year. (An aside: While this is an intelligent use of DCI's advertising budget, it also creates a vicious cycle. These corps are the best, no doubt, and therefore are the focus when it comes to marketing. However, the marketing and positioning of elite corps reinforces the idea in the minds of new fans -- especially band kids -- that the top corps are the only ones worth watching, spending money on, and joining . . . further cementing the place of these groups at the top. If you sent a group of 14 year old band kids to a competition with mixed placement order, no awards, and no hyping of the top corps, etc. it would be surprising who they picked out as the "best" and as their "favorite").

The top corps receive the best housing and the best facilities, often much closer to show sites than lower ranking corps. It's hard to calculate the monetary worth of this benefit, but no doubt it's significant. And there's countless other, smaller perks that we could no doubt name. Now, in my opinion the top corps deserve all this stuff. They've earned by being the best. But with all these benefits going to the top, I don't think we can call the current system "revenue sharing". At least not without real evidence that this is the case. So for all we know, this new proposal may not be giving the rich what is "rightfully theirs". It may indeed be taking from the poor to make the rich richer.

OMG...it took a half-an-hour to read what happened since last night !! Seems like more of the same back and forth.....

I just ask those that are "for" the G-7 proposal to tell me how it will grow and expand the activity as a whole and how those in the G-7 are sticking to the true traditions and values of drum corps as a fraternity where all corps are there for each other wether youa re 1st or 21st.........

and, how is it not about the money, and..if it IS a business, how on earth is this good business sense ? WHeres the research for this move, and how on earth does ANY business survive without customers.....and finally, its sad, someone who is marching Bluecoats asked not to "take it out on them" and I just cringed......How could these egotistical few not even consider the fallout to these kids and those in the future that will not get the opportunity to march because of the damage that the "G-7" will do.....??

G

Mike you forgot this statement:

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...tory&id=958

and...are you going to merge all of the related topics together, as there are several?

At this point a line has been drawn in the sand, and I do not think the rift between the G6 (or is it G7 or G6.5 or whatever) and the rest of DCI will be healed unless something drastic happens.

Right now, as it stands, Pride (the bad kind) has a very tight grip and I don't see these guys coming back into the fold after 2010.

Honestly, about the only thing I can think of (in my shriveled old brain) to help resolve this would be for alumni en masse to pressure them to reconsider their decisions. Donors will have to stand up to the split. Right now, this group has the means and the drive to launch out on their own and it appears as though they will. The unexpected push back from the other member corps was a huge blow to these guys and to their egos.

What we are looking at here folks is not the fuzzy sweet spin that the G7 corps have put on this, but a permanent fissure between DCI, it's member corps, and these elite corps.

gs2.png

I might be a bit fuzzy in my communication. You need to think in terms of the G7 and DCI completely splitting. This isn't a case where these corps are going to "improve" DCI, instead it's a case that when you click on DCI's site and look at the corps page, you will not see these corps listed.

This is very sad.

gs2.png

The first 100+ pages of posts can be found here.[/url]

I'm copying something I posted in the first thread just eleven minutes before it was closed.

Please, everyone...refer to posts by the post number and not the page number. Right now, I'm only up to page 29 because I've got my board settings set to allow for more posts per page so I don't have to keep clicking on the next page button as often. (Lots of people don't know about this feature. You can specify any multiple of five all the way up to forty posts per page.) MY CONTROLS/OPTIONS/BOARD SETTINGS.

But by referring to post numbers in any thread, we can all find posts to which others refer.

Thank you and carry on with the group hugs.