Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

If you base the top 7 on the previous years results i.e. rotate it annually and make some sort of provision for open class corps then I think this is a recipe for success.

How about promotion & relegation? Bottom 2 world class corps are relegated to open class and the top 2 open class corps are promoted to world class?

I suspect this has been suggested and shot down before but while we're in the mood for radical reform..... :tongue:

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you base the top 7 on the previous years results i.e. rotate it annually and make some sort of provision for open class corps then I think this is a recipe for success.

How about promotion & relegation? Bottom 2 world class corps are relegated to open class and the top 2 open class corps are promoted to world class?

I suspect this has been suggested and shot down before but while we're in the mood for radical reform..... :tongue:

top two Open Class are Vanguard Cadets and BDB.

As I read there is discussion of how this will make the drum corps experience better or other things. I am not trying to be chicken-little here or some kind of conspiracy theorist, but what this means is not a new division in DCI, but rather a complete split. More than likely, you will not see the Crusaders, or Scouts playing at ANY same show as Crown or Phantom.

You can debate about how some of these ideas that G7 is proposing could help or hurt DCI, but all those ideas are moot right now. We are way past those ideas.

Edited by Granny Smith

I post on DCP but live well outside in the "real world" and attend at least ten shows a year.....I can tell you that the fan base is dwindling and becoming disgruntled, the word of this hitting the streets will not go over well. Greed never does, and this move is all about greed..simple as that.

What happens when the economy-affected families cant afford the G-7 ticket prices ? Plus the fact that they destroyed the rest of drum corps so they are now "the only game in town"

And, again...as stated in the other thread. Drum corps foundation is based on a basic principle....."Competition" those competing to be the best...with only seven butting heads night after night.......there will be no competition or desire to strive because theres nowhere to grow..this will become a touring group of marching pageantry and will get quite stale very fast.......

G

Your proof is in the budgets of the drum corps show sponsors. Look at the budget for a drum corps show with one vs a show with multiple G-7 corps in the line up, those with more than one G-7 corps will have a make MUCH higher take at the gate, and since a sponsor pays DCI to run a drum corps show, it would make sense they they would want to at least break even.

I'm fully prepared for flaming on my naivety, but I can't help but feel there must be something we're missing in all this. The more I read on this, yeah... it doesn't really look good for the activity as a whole and the smaller corps in particular.

What I can't come to terms with is why not one, not two, but SEVEN top corps are on board with this (for the most part at least). I could understand one or two selfishly greedy folks out there, but not a third of the World Class.

I've always considered this a really noble activity. My brain right now can't process the idea that the heavy-hitters would go this route, endanger the activity and themselves, all for ego and money.

I mean, folks have horror stories about Hop, sure (not that I buy into them), but Fielder?? Gibbs?? Smith?? Valenzuela??

Really???

Now the tour of champions a few years ago in California, and the private non dci scanctioned show last year in Las Vegas, make a lot more sense to me. They appear to have been trial balloons for the G7 concept. How did the show last year in Las Vegas go? Was it as successful as the tour of champions a few years back?

Not sure if anyone else has already posted actual actions yet, so I may be the first. Today I burned (literally) my last G-7 tee shirt (SCV 89 tour shirt), and then cancelled my hotel reservations for three shows that I had planned to go to that had a large number of the G-7 corps participating (Normal, Madison, and Minneapolis). Made reservations for the Metamora, IL show on 7/6 (no G-7's there), and two Open Class shows (DeKalb and Dubuque). I've also made reservations for Labor Day weekend in Rochester, NY :tongue: .

Your proof is in the budgets of the drum corps show sponsors. Look at the budget for a drum corps show with one vs a show with multiple G-7 corps in the line up, those with more than one G-7 corps will have a make MUCH higher take at the gate, and since a sponsor pays DCI to run a drum corps show, it would make sense they they would want to at least break even.

And how many of those all G7 shows can there be overall?

And what happens to the non-G7 shows if they don't take in enough to survive. We could have a repeat of what happened with one of the Senior corps circuits in the 70s. Costs kept going up so more and more shows no longer were held. Corps had to go further and further to make gigs, which raised their costs (repeat vicious cycle). End result.... no shows.... no corps.... no circuit.....

The narcisissm (sp?) of those at the influential top (the Evil One and his BD lapdog) is appalling.

So if the G7 left and both DCI and the G7 go belly up, can we all finally agree that he killed drum corps??

This sort of thing had been in the works all along...but many just dismissed it: "oh that's crazy, he's not trying to add any-key/amps/electronics/woodwinds or push anyone out of the activity".

And now this. If you've had your eyes open, you saw this coming...even though those with their heads in the sand will play apologists and insist that we're all overreacting and say "that's not what this is".

Hmmmm...guess it's not so crazy after all. Maybe Scott Stewart getting strong-armed out of the activity was coincidence as well...