Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I'm copying something I posted in the first thread just eleven minutes before it was closed.

Please, everyone...refer to posts by the post number and not the page number. Right now, I'm only up to page 29 because I've got my board settings set to allow for more posts per page so I don't have to keep clicking on the next page button as often. (Lots of people don't know about this feature. You can specify any multiple of five all the way up to forty posts per page.) MY CONTROLS/OPTIONS/BOARD SETTINGS.

But by referring to post numbers in any thread, we can all find posts to which others refer.

Thank you and carry on with the group hugs.

i never knew about that. Danke

:tongue:

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG...it took a half-an-hour to read what happened since last night !! Seems like more of the same back and forth.....

I just ask those that are "for" the G-7 proposal to tell me how it will grow and expand the activity as a whole and how those in the G-7 are sticking to the true traditions and values of drum corps as a fraternity where all corps are there for each other wether youa re 1st or 21st.........

and, how is it not about the money, and..if it IS a business, how on earth is this good business sense ? WHeres the research for this move, and how on earth does ANY business survive without customers.....and finally, its sad, someone who is marching Bluecoats asked not to "take it out on them" and I just cringed......How could these egotistical few not even consider the fallout to these kids and those in the future that will not get the opportunity to march because of the damage that the "G-7" will do.....??

G

I'm undecided on where I stand, but wanted to offer a few thoughts. In response to "how it will grow and expand the activity?", it could be a point of doing something significant or the whole activity will cease. Given the state of other entertainment alternatives, some believe drum corps is on the verge of not being relevant anymore.

"where all corps are there for each other wether youa re 1st or 21st....". If the activity doesn't exist or is completely irrelevant, does it matter who you supported?

"how on earth does ANY business survive without customers?" DCP'ers are not drum corps customers. If we were the activity would have died long ago. We are the geeks who follow it every day. The drum corps customer has never heard of DCP. So, before we assume that if "we" stop supporting, understand that "we" are a very small fraction of the fan base. And we don't have enough voice to influence enough revenue one way or another. But as a protestor it might make you feel better.

Lastly, I'm not sure what negative fallout a G-7 member would have from this unless someone cared more about their perception of what the activity should be than just supporting the kids on the field.

In response to "how it will grow and expand the activity?", it could be a point of doing something significant or the whole activity will cease. Given the state of other entertainment alternatives, some believe drum corps is on the verge of not being relevant anymore.

Still waiting for details on that and why G-7 needs to be running the show for this to happen.

I'm undecided on where I stand, but wanted to offer a few thoughts. In response to "how it will grow and expand the activity?", it could be a point of doing something significant or the whole activity will cease. Given the state of other entertainment alternatives, some believe drum corps is on the verge of not being relevant anymore.

"where all corps are there for each other wether youa re 1st or 21st....". If the activity doesn't exist or is completely irrelevant, does it matter who you supported?

"how on earth does ANY business survive without customers?" DCP'ers are not drum corps customers. If we were the activity would have died long ago. We are the geeks who follow it every day. The drum corps customer has never heard of DCP. So, before we assume that if "we" stop supporting, understand that "we" are a very small fraction of the fan base. And we don't have enough voice to influence enough revenue one way or another. But as a protestor it might make you feel better.

Lastly, I'm not sure what negative fallout a G-7 member would have from this unless someone cared more about their perception of what the activity should be than just supporting the kids on the field.

I post on DCP but live well outside in the "real world" and attend at least ten shows a year.....I can tell you that the fan base is dwindling and becoming disgruntled, the word of this hitting the streets will not go over well. Greed never does, and this move is all about greed..simple as that.

What happens when the economy-affected families cant afford the G-7 ticket prices ? Plus the fact that they destroyed the rest of drum corps so they are now "the only game in town"

And, again...as stated in the other thread. Drum corps foundation is based on a basic principle....."Competition" those competing to be the best...with only seven butting heads night after night.......there will be no competition or desire to strive because theres nowhere to grow..this will become a touring group of marching pageantry and will get quite stale very fast.......

G

I post on DCP but live well outside in the "real world" and attend at least ten shows a year.....I can tell you that the fan base is dwindling and becoming disgruntled, the word of this hitting the streets will not go over well. Greed never does, and this move is all about greed..simple as that.

What happens when the economy-affected families cant afford the G-7 ticket prices ? Plus the fact that they destroyed the rest of drum corps so they are now "the only game in town"

And, again...as stated in the other thread. Drum corps foundation is based on a basic principle....."Competition" those competing to be the best...with only seven butting heads night after night.......there will be no competition or desire to strive because theres nowhere to grow..this will become a touring group of marching pageantry and will get quite stale very fast.......

G

I definitely agree that this will not go over well. But I wouldn't be surprised if right off the bat we see an initial surge in attendance to "see what the drama is all about".

People like drama.

"Competition" those competing to be the best...with only seven butting heads night after night.......

And isn't DCI Week the biggest money maker of them all?

If it's the same corps that have seen each other all season.......... no drama and why spend the $$$$

You talk as though the entire activity is on the verge of vanishing into thin air. With ticket sales allegedly ahead of projections for the 2010 seasons, an additional corps in World Class, and 4-6 corps returning/starting in Open Class, the current trends indicate otherwise.

And if the activity were on some sort of steep decline, corps would start folding up quickly. At THAT point, perhaps a consolidation would make sense. But we're not even close to that, and this pre-emptive consolidation (forgetting the ridiculous power grab momentarily) would only accelerate this alleged decline.

I definitely agree that this will not go over well. But I wouldn't be surprised if right off the bat we see an initial surge in attendance to "see what the drama is all about".

People like drama.

People also like money in their pockets.......Plus what reserach besides "c'mon, isnt it obvious" was done to prove that only these seven are the top draw ????As stated earlier, its competition that pushed them to the top of the ranks, insert any corps into the top three and they will easily draw the same crowd.........

A slate of seven same seven, show after show, is not what drum corps/competition is/was about, the novelty will fade, so will this silly experiment, and they will be left with nothing.....IM so glad giving the kids a drum corps experience was high on the list of priorities.....

Oh, and when I marched ? didnt matter what place you came in, freinds made friends in any division, any place corps and we stayed friends.......

G

I would like to see the ideas of the more intertwined educational workshops stick around. This is a great thing for drum corps. ANY corps, not just the G7, gets most of their membership from marching bands these days. Directors will bring their band kids to come see the corps and interact with them, which will inspire some kids to march. I know I probably never would have marched at all had I not attended a clinic with Phantom Regiment on semifinals day in 2003. This is great outreach, and really, I feel that a lot of this is an extension of what "OnQ" was supposed to be.

As Granny so correctly pointed out, the recent DCI news is SERIOUS business. I, too, fear the concept proposed speaks to what's probably an immovable object.

The (current) "Haves" want more and they'll settle for nothing less. If not 2011, then 2012. Sadly, the rest can only watch. The "Have Nots," (at least in the eyes of the new visionaries) need to pick-up the pieces and go from there. I don't see it any other way, based upon what I've read so far.

Think about it. The Ambitious Seven have lots of ammunition and desire. The really DO command the greatest interest from potential participants and viewing audience. They are all 'stars" who deserve and expect top billing. They feel privileged right now, in that their vision for drum corps has already worked for them. They're already where everyone wants to be. They want, and really can, handle more, both in organizational structure and budget. When they speak, others listen.

The Ambitious Seven feel less a need for additional corps, even for most of the current DCI administrative structure. They can handle all of that themselves. You know. . .they're RIGHT! Management and promotional duties and responsibilities of this new group CAN be absorbed by their own existing organizations.

We would be naive to think the crowds, the sponsorship money, the talent, will not follow them in whatever they propose to do as a smaller group of decision-makers. They will. As others have stated, that's the nature of the beast. People pay plenty to see the Yankees, not so much to see the Pirates.

I have no problem with their concept of a "different" on-field presentation. I believe that's needed to compete for today's entertainment dollar. For me, at least, current shows ARE lacking in broad appeal. This is a world that responds to bells and whistles, glitz and glamor. The Ambitious Seven really can provide that, and they know it. They are a group that can offer more than any scholastic marching program ever can. Those groups, and MANY OTHERS (including me) will pay to see the "Haves."

As Dan Acheson correctly alluded, egoism pays a huge role in this discussion. That's been a constant in this activity. Now is no different. For me, it's the ego of the Ambitious Seven that WILL be satisfied. Satisfied with or without the blessing of others who participate in the current DCI.

Significant change is coming. This is not going away.

It can't.

I respectably disagree with some of your points. I believe that "the seven" may be overestimating their popularity. There are still 16 other corps out there, and some of them are have long and storied histories. They are not going to go away. If "the seven" believe that the others (and thus the league) won't survive without them, I wouldn't bet the farm on that. If "the seven" would decide to totally break away, I really don't think that THEY would survive. I don't think the masses will follow them to the extent that they believe. Conversely, I would see corps like Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, and Troopers become immediately much stronger (and they may be all quite solid this year) and the "old league" would survive, in spades.

I wouldn't have a problem if they gave these seven corps Sundays only to "do their thing", and if they want to do these extra shows with new formats, rules, etc. they can knock themselves out, while the other corps practice and get tighter.

I am ok with the ADDITION of a new thing, as long as there are still regular contests and championships which are totally non-exclusive. However, if I were the other 16 corps, and the other seven were so bold as to indicate that they were going to call all of the shots and have the only votes, I would wish them well and send them packing. This is the exact reason that college football can not claim to have a true championship, when certain teams don't "belong to the right league". I really think that these seven corps are greatly overestimating their popularity and drawing power should they decide to break away.

GB

GB