In light of the elitism

That isn't true. There are many reasons for a kid to change corps and many of them are valid. I was just making a point from my own personal experience.

Of course they are going to take them. They're already trained. So the point is -- the G7 has made much of its reputation on the backs of other corps who trained the kids. There was another thread of what percentage of kids in the top corps started their drum corps experience somewhere else. The percentages were astounding. Wish I could remember the thread but I'm sure if you have an interest in the facts, you can find it.

No, those G7 corps just built on the foundations of those lower tier corps...and if you notice, a lot of the staff of those lower tier corps come from top-tier corps, so who's benefitting from whom?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite different than moving from one world class corps to another. Again, there are valid reasons why a kid will want to change corps and that's ok. My beef is with the G7 who have built their reputations using many members trained by other corps and then saying that they are "the act". That is the reason I started the thread.

So you admit that this isn't about "14-21 year olds" after all? Because... If the upper corps are using many members trained by other corps... that means they were being serviced by the activity when they were younger. Which leaves room in the other corps for OTHER young members to embark on their corps education, and so on...

If I had had a better time at my first corps I wouldn't have left for a different corps.

The first year at my second corps we had a disappointing season competitively, but that didn't matter because I found the place I wanted to march and I would never march a different corps again.

The second corps earned my loyalty by providing the kind of experience I was looking for even though we didn't do as well competitively as we wanted.

I probably never would have had a chance to march my second corps had some of the ideas put forth in this thread been implemented

If I had had a better time at my first corps I wouldn't have left for a different corps.

The first year at my second corps we had a disappointing season competitively, but that didn't matter because I found the place I wanted to march and I would never march a different corps again.

The second corps earned my loyalty by providing the kind of experience I was looking for even though we didn't do as well competitively as we wanted.

I probably never would have had a chance to march my second corps had some of the ideas put forth in this thread been implemented

Bingo.

That isn't true. There are many reasons for a kid to change corps and many of them are valid. I was just making a point from my own personal experience.

Of course they are going to take them. They're already trained. So the point is -- the G7 has made much of its reputation on the backs of other corps who trained the kids. There was another thread of what percentage of kids in the top corps started their drum corps experience somewhere else. The percentages were astounding. Wish I could remember the thread but I'm sure if you have an interest in the facts, you can find it.

I posted in that thread. Analyzing one of the years of my own career, a year in which we won the championship, 12.5% of the brass section had marched elsewhere.

The G7 corps have made their reputations largely on the backs of their own returning veterans whom they have trained in a way conducive to winning championships.

Edited by Jayzer

Everybody agrees that Junior Drum and Bugle Corps is a youth activity, right?

DCI states that the activity is for youth from the ages of 14 to 21, right?

If these two things are true, then why not live by them?

Although all corps abide by the letter of the law, they don't abide by the spirit of it. Most World Class corps are loaded with people that are 18 to 20 years of age. Where are the younger kids? Either marching in an Open Class corps or, in most cases, watching from the sidelines.

Why not put a rule into effect that on June 1, of each year, the average age of the corps must be 18 years or younger? This still allows for kids to march until their 21st birthday but also allows the younger kids to get an opportunity to march thereby keeping the ranks full for future years. It also better fulfills DCI's mission.Jus

I'm sure that there are those who will say that it will ruin the activity. Look at it now. It is suffering from lower attendance and interest, plus the fact that a few of the corps, those with the highest average age, are wanting to be treated in a different manner than the balance of the corps because they are the ones who fill the stands.

Just a thought.

not gonna happen

It's a stupid idea. That's why the DCI mission statement specifies 14 - 21 years old. It's just that the low end isn't enforced. You keep forgetting what the mission of drum corps is.

Ed...how many 14 year olds anymore are prepared for the full rigors of tour. look at when corps move in...those kids are still finishing up 8th or 9th grade.

This isn't like drum corps was, when you did weekend only shows minus the one, maybe two weeks when you toured on the way to Nats.

When I have kids, I am all for them marching if they choose...after at least the age of 16. I want them to focus on school first and foremost, and to be honest, I'm not sure I want my 15 year old on a bus full of kids 19-22 years old. Why? Those kids are more mature and prepared for that kind of life. Not that I plan on sheltering my kids in any way, but there are aspects of life I dont want my kids around at the ages of 14-7 if I can help. We're not dumb, we all know #### goes on on the bus and on tour. I'd prefer as a parent they arent around til I know they are ready.

if it were the old drum corps model of the 50's and 60's...yeah maybe. Those kids didnt miss school to go on tour. I know a local student now torn between her graduation, or spring training with her corps. ....they are agonizing. I dont know if she is getting pressure or not to skip ( i doubt it, most corps are really good about that stuff), but I never want my kids torn about that kind of thing.