The most underrated shows of the last decade

Yeah, we did a hundred pages on BD altering that sound in 2007. If you're interested and/or a glutton for DCP punishment, here's your poison:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/112307-blue-devils-2007/

Some argued it was legal because it wasn't specifically prohibited. My view is it wasn't legal because it wasn't specifically allowed. My suggestion is if we want to return to this discussion (Why?), we not hijack this thread any further.

HH

• Like 1

Yeah, we did a hundred pages on BD altering that sound in 2007. If you're interested and/or a glutton for DCP punishment, here's your poison:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/112307-blue-devils-2007/

Some argued it was legal because it wasn't specifically prohibited. My view is it wasn't legal because it wasn't specifically allowed. My suggestion is if we want to return to this discussion (Why?), we not hijack this thread any further.

Thank you! As the one who raised the question in this thread, I'd be perfectly content with no more discussion of it here. I wasn't on the forums until late 2009, and had never even listened to that show until 2010. I did attempt to use DCP's search function to find earlier discussion of the subject but was unsuccessful, not knowing what exactly to call the sound, nor that it had been a point of such contention. (Searching on "blue devils", "2007", "sound", for instance, yields too many results.) Occasionally when someone would mention that show in a more recent thread, I would respond with a question asking what I was hearing; probably no one who knew the answer responded because they didn't want to stir up old troubles. (Not knowing about the controversy, all I could tell was that I couldn't identify the sound: obviously something was being amplified, but I didn't know what. My guess was maybe that something strange was being done with the timpani.)

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited a second time to add: After reading the first 250 posts in that thread, I think that there were a fair number of interesting points raised in that discussion --so thanks again!-- and I'm glad to see that at least two people besides me thought the sound was simply amplified percussion.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Southwind 2000

Pacific Crest 2000

Spirit 2001

Spirit 2002

Blue Knights 2002

Boston Crusaders 2002

Santa Clara Vanguard 2002

Madison Scouts 2003

Cadets 2004

Madison Scouts 2005

Carolina Crown 2006

Glassmen 2006

Blue Knights 2007

Spirit 2007

Phantom Regiment 2007

Santa Clara Vanguard 2008

Blue Stars 2008

Cavaliers 2009

Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

Boston Crusaders 2009

Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

Blue Knights 2010

Spirit 2010

Edited by DaveG

2007 Bluecoats "Criminal" was so amazing! It was the first drum corps show I saw and I will never forget it. Even looking back on it now it seems their placement was so low for how clean their drumline was. So much energy...and the ending was priceless :winky:

This show belongs in the "most overrated of the past decade" thread.

Good call. That show was a pure cheese fest.

Edited by Tusayan
  • Like 1

Going to throw a few out by corps off the top of my head... and, having been too young to follow non-finalists (or even really non-top-6) before 2006 or so, sorry if my list is too "mainstream" for you ;P Competitive result is a factor, but not the only factor, in whether or not I feel that a show is over/underrated -- it mostly has to do with the buzz about it.

BD - 04 Summer Train Blues Mix [phenomenal], 05 Yowza Yowza YowzaDance Derby of the Century [if you ignore some of the weird vocal stuff, the music is actually rockin']

Cavs - 03 Spin Cycle [got me in love with drum corps visually, does a lot more for me than the previous two years], 05 My Kind of Town, 08 Samurai

Bloo - 05 Caravan [one of my favorite shows, period]

Phantom - 04 Apasionada 874 [yeah, lots of guard problems, but a sexy book], 08 Spartacus [just kidding]

Crown - 06 in.Trance.it [though it seems like every time I mention it there's a pretty healthy "underground" respect for this show, so that's good]

Cadets - 09 West Side Story 2009 [i'm not even sure what its "rating" is, I've just seen one person talk bad on it and no one else talk about it at all... but I like it a lot], 10 Toy Souldier [i was a big fan of this show all season...I have a feeling it will grow on people as they lose their rage for Lil Geoffrey]

SCV - 02 Sound, Shape, and Color [Pretty rockin' show, IMO... no love?], 08 3hree [someone mentioned this earlier and I thought they meant 07... but 08 SCV was one of my favorite shows from that year, I love The Chairman Dances]

Glassmen - 08 Kar-ne-vel, 09 The Journey of ONE [my favorite Glassmen shows of the decade]

BK - 07 don't know title, shostakovich 10th symphony, 09 Shiver

Scouts - 01 Hot Jazz, Madison Style [incredible], 03 Gold, Green, and Red, 09 Relampago [biased, yes]

Mandarins - 10 To Dream of Far Away Lands [some friends of mine pointed out to me that this show is actually unusually awesome and upon a couple careful listens, I agree]

Edited by Stryfe
  • Like 1

I still think that the Cavaliers' 2001 show "Four Corners" is the most underrated winning show.

• Like 1

Boston Crusaders, "Cathedrals of the Mind" 2006.

Subtle moments, power moments, and the finale, when the cathedral columns were made whole.

Great show.

Fran

2000, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010 were much better shows