Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I don't know either, but if you believe the G7, it didn't cuz the sky is falling and they have to do something - or else.

Huh?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deserves a comment. YEA! is also a band competition management company. Does anyone else see the connection? And I would suggest this is where the supporting data is coming from.

One could suggest that this is another jewel in the YEA! crown, but there's no denying that "show management" at YEA! is no coincidence.

EDIT: fixed "company"

Have some Kool Aid and relax :tongue:

Now, go look at YEA! 990 and you'll see where the "crisis" really is.

Dumb question, perhaps.... where do you guys find these 990 statements/forms?

How are you determining that these corps contribute to increased PAID attendance? As far as I know, there isn't currently any way to quantify what portion of the fans in attendance are attributable to specific corps. If anything, the most well attended events are regionals and finals, which are consequently the best marketed events to begin with. And from my experience, the bleachers tend to be filled with former marching members of a variety of corps, parents, family and friends of current members, legacy fans, current members, etc.

So exactly what statistics support these claims?

you are serious in wanting to go here? really?

Here's what I'd like you to do. Sit in on semifinals afternoon session with your calculator. Start clicking again when the gates open during the intermission for the top 7. I see some variables here...Madison at 15th...but it's really very illuminating.

The proof is in the everyday arguments here about the importance of going in the stands during the Open Class and lower end WC corps. Where are the people? Out in the lots watching Cavies, Crown, Cadets, etc. WARMING UP. I've been there before. More people watching BD do 8 on a hand than are in the stands watching Mandarins. So, there's your statistics.

dbc03, Plan9, corpsband and others...I'll be waiting on your answer to this

The proposal shifts any responsibility for Open Class "services" to "Regional Associations" and severs any services DCI may have been providing to Open Class. I guess we'd have to list those services to understand what this change actually means. Sorry I can't speak knowledgeably on that subject.

I share your concern however. Open class is a breeding ground for growth in the activity (in terms of the number of participating corps).

So, Tom Brace quoted 15,500 in the OilCan stands.

I had two regular guests (who've bought my extra tickets for years) say "No" this year specifically because of the echo.

Wonder what the anticipation for this years' attendance is?

Maybe there's no way they can afford Indy. Well, there's something.

3. With DCI marketing and selling stuff with corps' names on it and audio/video products with the corps performances on them, the corps in question want a new relationship. Actually, they want everyone to have a new relationship with marketing. No selling against the corps by DCI.

Huh? DCI is the corps, and those corps have agreed to leverage their audio/video resources via DCI since 1972.

4. I actually see the structure as stated, having paths to climb for corps who chose to do so. The simple message...GET BETTER.

No, it's not that simple. As CorpsFan pointed out, there is only room for eight or nine corps max in AAA. Doesn't matter how many corps "get better".

The next factor, I believe too many people, who are rabid enough to post here frequently...(yes, me included)...were thinking everything was fine when, in fact, some pretty massive miscalculations took place. 2006...Madison...good crowds. 2007....Pasadena....massive crowds. The trend was already starting though...and remember this is prior to the recession...regional shows had some hit/miss performance...remember Murphfreesboro 2007? So, then the recession begins in 2007-08 and 09 as DCI bands (all puns...you can have them) with Indy. Indy is late. Then Indy is crap. 15,500 paid at finals.

Cite your source. We have several different numbers floating around for '09 finals attendance.

I wonder how much the move to Indy cost?

Didn't these people all approve all of this stuff?

What, did they do so just on a hope and a prayer?

Oh yea, wait a minute...I've seen this recently...

The proposal shifts any responsibility for Open Class "services" to "Regional Associations" and severs any services DCI may have been providing to Open Class.

There are no "regional associations". DCI took them over. :tongue:

I'm not seeing in the proposal where it's for the good of "DCI as a whole." It's clearly for the G7. Profits split 8 ways - the G7 plus dci admin. I see no way in which you have more than 7 corps within a few years of this. It's for the survival of the 7, and to h3ll with the rest of you. That's what I see in this.

I see it as..."get off your butts and get better." No room for mediocrity to be rewarded.