Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Huh?

pg 5.

Drum Corps International is in danger fiscally. Poor attendance, high overhead, and a base of more corps.........

Poor attendance. If a Blast type show is what we need to "regenerate interest in drum corps" (pg 2), why didn't Blast increase attendance in drum corps? Prolly cuz they are not the same things and they play to different audiences?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb question, perhaps.... where do you guys find these 990 statements/forms?

Here:

www.guidestar.org

You have to join to see the 990s, but joining is harmless.

Once in, search "drum and bugle corps" and variants to get the whole list.

I found YEA! under a "Youth Education in the Arts" search.

pg 5.

Drum Corps International is in danger fiscally. Poor attendance, high overhead, and a base of more corps.........

Poor attendance. If a Blast type show is what we need to "regenerate interest in drum corps" (pg 2), why didn't Blast increase attendance in drum corps? Prolly cuz they are not the same things and they play to different audiences?

I thought Fran was just giving an example of making something work for a wider audience. Guess I was wrong??

How are you determining that these corps contribute to increased PAID attendance? As far as I know, there isn't currently any way to quantify what portion of the fans in attendance are attributable to specific corps. If anything, the most well attended events are regionals and finals, which are consequently the best marketed events to begin with. And from my experience, the bleachers tend to be filled with former marching members of a variety of corps, parents, family and friends of current members, legacy fans, current members, etc.

So exactly what statistics support these claims?

There are no statistics but lets be real here. Everyone cheers louder, gets more excited and as a whole (the crowd) express very clearly their greater interest in those corps that are in G7. Its outragous to claim otherwise. The top corps also bring the top audiences. If you look at the size of the event based on quantity of G7 corps in attendance there is a definite corolation.

Now, with that being said this policy or "G7" proposal is an utter waste of future potential. Crown is the perfect example of a corps that was once restricted financially and artistically smothered by YEA and Hoppy. Once they realized they could be more outside the confines of being the bottom feeder for audition candidates at cadets and crossmen, they are now competing hard for a world title...never thought possibile in the 90's and early 2000's cause of their "class" status at YEA.

Who could truly say that DCI would have been better off If crown stayed at YEA?? They would be crazy to say that as we all now have another show to listen to on our CD's every year! This proposal does nothing more that create a national YEA with the talent and the money funneled to the "right" corps as choosen. Just like YEA controlled the talent and money that benefted the cadets and robbed Crown of potential eliteness. So, in conclusion imagine 5 years from now a return of the scouts, or Blue Stars comming up with an innovative idea to win, or the Crossmen returning in force after breaking from YEA....and then forget about it all. Sucks right? There would be little to no hope for this to happen after G7 but without G7 these things and more are possible.

Remember when we would have laughed if someone said Crown would take 2nd and have the loudest, best brass in dci? Remember when a newcommer star of Indianna went from nobody to world class in a few years? Great moments like these in the future would never happen under an unbalanced and controlled competitive environment. Period.

I wonder how much the move to Indy cost?

Didn't these people all approve all of this stuff?

What, did they do so just on a hope and a prayer?

Oh yea, wait a minute...I've seen this recently...

Part of the problem. DCI does what the BOD tell sthem to do. It doesn't pan out. Who gets blamed? DCI. Anyone wanna man up and accept responsibility for their decisions?

There are no "regional associations". DCI took them over. :tongue:

And what regionals associations can be set up is relegated to the Open class corps who want to do so (instead of running their corps). DCI grants permission.

This deserves a comment. YEA! is also a band competition management company. Does anyone else see the connection? And I would suggest this is where the supporting data is coming from.

One could suggest that this is another jewel in the YEA! crown, but there's no denying that "show management" at YEA! is no coincidence.

EDIT: fixed "company"

But there *is* no supporting data, and this was put to a vote. Not discussion for further analysis, but an actual vote. I... just don't get it.

Mike

I see it as..."get off your butts and get better." No room for mediocrity to be rewarded.

Roll the G7 proposal back to 1999 when Bluecoats missed Top 12. Think this proposal would have helped them improve to get to where they are? Same for Crown in 2002. Take away 2 nights a week from the calendar, revenue, increase costs, a say in governance, and you just might find that in 2010, we wouldn't have a Bluecoats or a Crown. But "get off your butts and get better" - that'll work. :tongue: