Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Oh, brother. :tongue:

They use pits with lots of odd instuments (including bass guitars, marimbas, et al) and they're still D&BC. The Yankees are using metal bats and their still Major League Baseball. This isn't the subject here, but it shows how much the blatant detractors on DCP are not the target audience for this innovation.

How is copying a similiar art form innovation?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence Granny at all BUT what decade do you think it is? Maybe a town social, sock Hop, a parade with the local mayor and his beauty Queen Daughter. Come on. I would love nothing more for it to be a simple time again myself But lets get real. Its the SAVY group that will survive. Bake sales don't make it anymore ( Would be great if it did )

I think G& knows how dying the activity we desperately cling to and they are trying to do something about it. If that meant going back in time would work then so be it , but unfortunately we cant go back again in anything.HELL I want to pay 30 cents a gallon for gas to, but is that going to happen HELL NO!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was nursing my wounds because you were so very mean to me. I think I went through a box of tissues just trying to compose myself enough to write a reply.

I don't normally resort to name calling, but your post sounded like it was written by a freshman in high school debate.

Of course I didn't mean sock hops. Do you think I'm that dense? I'm not still living in the fifties you know. I meant they could maybe have a Friday night disco! Or, perhaps they could sponsor an ice cream social. Or better yet a bake sale! Don't tell me that George and company couldn't take in some serious coin if they'd just take a look at my brownie recipe.

So see...I'm not the backwards dufus you made me out to be. Who looks stupid now?

Oh, brother. :tongue:

They use pits with lots of odd instuments (including bass guitars, marimbas, et al) and they're still D&BC. The Yankees are using metal bats and their still Major League Baseball. This isn't the subject here, but it shows how much the blatant detractors on DCP are not the target audience for this innovation.

correct,.....and this is the target market they've ###### away for years...and now they complain abot attendance.

well duh

hey looks and sounds good for a 16th place show

Dont sleep on the Crossmen.

GO BONES!

No offence Granny at all BUT what decade do you think it is? Maybe a town social, sock Hop, a parade with the local mayor and his beauty Queen Daughter. Come on. I would love nothing more for it to be a simple time again myself But lets get real. Its the SAVY group that will survive. Bake sales don't make it anymore ( Would be great if it did )

I think G& knows how dying the activity we desperately cling to and they are trying to do something about it. If that meant going back in time would work then so be it , but unfortunately we cant go back again in anything.HELL I want to pay 30 cents a gallon for gas to, but is that going to happen HELL NO!

but...maybe there are ideas from the past that would work again...but these are the guys so hell bent on changing everything that we got to this place.

maybe it's time to realze some of their changes helped get them here...and not in a good way

I see it as..."get off your butts and get better." No room for mediocrity to be rewarded.

The problem with this argument is there is a possiblity (I'm trying to keep open minded) that if the new proposal does get approved that the smaller corps can not afford to tour due to the G7 getting more of the pot. No tour means no more smaller corps which (and it pains me to say it) means no "feeder" corps. If the field keeps getting narrower and narrower and eventually just winds up as the G7 by themselves (as many people fear will happen) there are no lower groups to develop that talent so kids can move on to a higher corps if they so choose. Yes many kids try out for their dream corps and make it thier first year, but trust me when I say that in my five years at Pioneer I saw more people leave for a higher tier corps than stay. To me that seems detrimental to the activity as a whole and can actually hurt overall quality value. Maybe I'm just rambling here because I'm tired but that's just MHO.

Roll the G7 proposal back to 1999 when Bluecoats missed Top 12. Think this proposal would have helped them improve to get to where they are? Same for Crown in 2002. Take away 2 nights a week from the calendar, revenue, increase costs, a say in governance, and you just might find that in 2010, we wouldn't have a Bluecoats or a Crown. But "get off your butts and get better" - that'll work. :tongue:

Haha I think you put it into better terms than I was able to. But yeah....this is what I was trying to get at in my ramblings.

Ugly presentation, but very interesting content. I cannot disagree with much of what I read. Something needs to be done to increase interest in drum and bugle corps and at least a few people had the balls to step up and make a recommendation. I see a lot of people complaining about what the G7 is proposing, but I am not seeing any alternatives. I guess most prefer the status quo which will result in drum corps' continued slide into obscurity.

and the guys who voted for tons of changes helped it go that way

I agree with some of what you are saying but when does this happen...corps are not full of local kids. They dont even get together until Move in. I totally get you but corps arent even from a rock solid year to year place. Where is Boston from..Cadets, Crossmen? I wish it were the way it was and some support and visability can be good BUT GRANNY as well as many on this site passionate as they are are stuck. I believe and as stong as they may have been at one time ( Like a Rock ) now are not moveable on many issues. Just my 2 cents :-)

well, Hop did say when they moved to Allentown that the corps, and not just YEA would be active in the community.

which is why their spring training is 4 hours away from Allentown

Unfortunately " WE " and I do include myself ( although still teaching ) should be respected as the people who supported this activity for many decades "WE" are not the future, hard as that is to admit. The Die Hard fan of our years is fading away some by choice some forced out by changes or for whatever reason.I think this is just life . I have seen this happen in other things also. Respect, we all deserve, change, I think it needs to happen. For me I will enjoy this activity however it evolves and support Drum Corps , whatever Drum Corps means in the future. :tongue:

if you run a smart business, you embrace the customers you have while wooing the future customers at the same time