Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I get to see the corps I want to see. The others? There's always hot dogs! And souvies. And the warmups in the parking lot. But, I'm the only one who thinks it, right?

Nope. But stack the deck, and it'll be a sure thing on who will be going on early while you are in the parking lot watching warm-ups.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it as..."get off your butts and get better." No room for mediocrity to be rewarded.

How does that work? If 'not being mediocre' is the goal, how do you determine that? If EVERY non-g7 corps came out this summer just as good as crown and the blue devils, aside from it being a really fun summer, someone's still gonna place 9+. Its not all about placement. Add to that the fact that you have quite the disparity in average age (meaning, you can have an equal level staff and administration and will still, a majority of the time, place lower), and a disparity in members that start out with previous drum corps experience. You want to talk mediocre, lets see what happens when we only have 7-8 corps left and no corps below them building talent that most in the g7 ultimately gain from.

Id say there are quite a few corps out there that are not in the G7 that are hardly mediocre. Hell, i think i enjoyed just as many of the g7 last year as i did the next 7 corps. And thats definitely not the first time thats happened.

Well, so much for one argument: "Drum Corps International is in danger fiscally. Poor attendance...has put the organization’s continued existence in

jeopardy." Now then; who's going to feed my a heaping plate of crow :tongue:

Another interesting thing relating to the above issues with DCI (according to the proposal) is, "a base of more corps than the organization can support.." So does that mean DCI can't really expand as much as we'd all want due to fiscal inadequacy?"

Well, so much for one argument: "Drum Corps International is in danger fiscally. Poor attendance...has put the organization’s continued existence in

jeopardy." Now then; who's going to feed my a heaping plate of crow :tongue:

Another interesting thing relating to the above issues with DCI (according to the proposal) is, "a base of more corps than the organization can support.." So does that mean DCI can't really expand as much as we'd all want due to fiscal inadequacy?"

The G7 don't want DCI providing services they don't need. Services many of the lower placing corps do need, cuz they don't have the resources the G7 have. So much for looking out for the interests of all corps.

If you think DCI can continue to operate as it currently does - and survive - you're not being realistic.

I think you should go read the 990's again IMO.

Now, go look at YEA! 990 and you'll see where the "crisis" really is.

In some ways, comparing the two helps the G7 case. DCI had $9M revenue in 2008. The Cadets got a total of $190K in appearance fees (from all sources, not just DCI), but let's say around 2% of DCI's top line. The Cadets made more money from their 3 home shows than from an entire season of DCI appearances. And they made over 8x as much from USSBA.

So yeah, if I were George, I'd probably want to cut expenses at DCI, host more shows, and sell more stuff to band kids too!

In fairness, I agree with some previous posters that for the G7 to point all the fingers at DCI is a bit disingenuous. There can't be very many big decisions DCI has made over the objections of today's G7.

I love this proposal. It's not perfect, but it's a dang good start.

Why? Because when you take out all the "my feelings are getting hurt" BS and realize that DCI is, in fact, in trouble you might realize that this proposal could very well save Drum Corps. Not DCI. Summer touring, loud, in your face, excellent drum corps.

I'm so sick of people not being able to get past the whole "elitism" thing to realize the truth. The great majority of the ticket paying fan base out there do not go to shows to see the bottom corps. Sorry folks. Perhaps one day. I liked The Troopers show last year...but before that I really didn't care because it did nothing to entertain me. The top corps have consistently put butts in seats. If we don't start thinking logically and attracting these high school fans everyone seems to think are so pointless, then how the hell do you expect a corps like Troop or Blue Stars to ever get to the "entertaining" level that they're finally achieving?

This proposal is drenched in pragmatism. If good business ticks off a few old-schoolers then so be it. Changes like this will bring in fans to replace you. Ones that will, perhaps, appreciate what is being done. Because when you look at the big picture, what have you, mr. arm-chair executive, really done to help drum corps survive? I donate money. I go to shows. I'm sure many many of the members of DCP do as well. And sure that's all fine and good, but with a dwindling audience our financial contributions mean jack squat to the true survivability of the activity.

There's many things I like the notion of from a performance perspective...would there be any way to do those sorts of things without such a radical restructuring of DCI itself? I mean, I'd love to hear say, Academy jam out on and hype it up a Saturday night as much as say, Phantom.

No, I'm not that naive to think that any of this could happen without fiscal changes in the way things are right now, but still...does anyone else catch my drift?

Thanks, Jordan.

Other pertinent info for those coming in new to the discussion:

The press release (from SCV's website):

The Drum Corps World article:

Dan Acheson's letter on the DCI website:

. . .and, as Jordan posted above, the now publicly available proposal itself:

and the letter from Adolph

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...tory&id=958

I love this proposal. It's not perfect, but it's a dang good start.

Why? Because when you take out all the "my feelings are getting hurt" BS and realize that DCI is, in fact, in trouble you might realize that this proposal could very well save Drum Corps. Not DCI. Summer touring, loud, in your face, excellent drum corps.

This proposal is drenched in pragmatism. If good business ticks off a few old-schoolers then so be it. Changes like this will bring in fans to replace you. Ones that will, perhaps, appreciate what is being done. Because when you look at the big picture, what have you, mr. arm-chair executive, really done to help drum corps survive? I donate money. I go to shows. I'm sure many many of the members of DCP do as well. And sure that's all fine and good, but with a dwindling audience our financial contributions mean jack squat to the true survivability of the activity.

this proposal is going to kill the non Greedy7 one by one by taking away their performance opportunities, taking away their marketing, and taking away their money.

I'm not saying a traveling Greedy7 show is a bad thing... I might even go see it. But this proposal will kill what we know now as drum corps.