Drums! (2010 Edition)

The current drums are works of art and marvels of engineering compared with Dynasty's first models.

"Cheaply built" is having thin top hoops that were hollowed out so that a plastic ring could be inserted, and this was done well into the Kevlar Age of snare drumming.

Having said that though, as a person who has the lovely privilege of working with a group playing on these drums, when you set them next to a Pearl or Yamaha drum, they leave a little to be desired.

But yes, much better than the Dynasty drums of yesteryear.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm fighting the losing battle, but really? They look like high school because they're Dynasty is really what you're implying and most people on here do. I understand that Dynasty is not a favorite of many, but really? Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post. Can you explain to me how a finish that's completely custom for PR and like almost all Dynasty finishes can't just be purchased from their website, is high school? I've never seen a single high school with a finish close to that. Maybe I'm missing something? Please enlighten me. While like anything everyone gets their own opinion and you may and any others may not even like their chosen finish, how can that be high school? Dynasty if nothing else does a great job of getting drumlines drums that look great and are often incredibly unique, which is something you don't get from Yamaha and Pearl. I know I know, "They spend more time making their drums sound and less time with their shells and blah blah blah blah..." I've heard it all. We disagree on that. That's fine. We don't have to agree on anything for all it matters. But I think Dynasty at least deserves some credit in many of the great custom finishes that have been seen in the past few years. Even when those drums are sent elsewhere to be finished after Dynasty is done, they are made with the next part of their process in mind.

I know I'm fighting the losing battle, but really? They look like high school because they're Dynasty is really what you're implying and most people on here do. I understand that Dynasty is not a favorite of many, but really? Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post. Can you explain to me how a finish that's completely custom for PR and like almost all Dynasty finishes can't just be purchased from their website, is high school? I've never seen a single high school with a finish close to that. Maybe I'm missing something? Please enlighten me. While like anything everyone gets their own opinion and you may and any others may not even like their chosen finish, how can that be high school? Dynasty if nothing else does a great job of getting drumlines drums that look great and are often incredibly unique, which is something you don't get from Yamaha and Pearl. I know I know, "They spend more time making their drums sound and less time with their shells and blah blah blah blah..." I've heard it all. We disagree on that. That's fine. We don't have to agree on anything for all it matters. But I think Dynasty at least deserves some credit in many of the great custom finishes that have been seen in the past few years. Even when those drums are sent elsewhere to be finished after Dynasty is done, they are made with the next part of their process in mind.

Dynasty's finishes are largely counter-top/formica laminates that are neither "unique" or pleasing (IMO at least). Every once in awhile their finishes are OK, but for me personally the instance that I look at a Dynasty finish and think "looks awesome" is very rare. Dynasty gets credit for producing a very inexpensive product that is able to compete in the market place (though if you've seen their financials, "compete" might not be quite the word) and they've done a good job of "borrowing" (though the courts might have a different term) some other industry patents that ARE actually unique. Their hardware design seems a bit clunky, and their sound leaves so much to be desired and doesn't really have the resonance of Pearl or Yamaha drums (which is why they are so popular with indoor drum lines: they don't quite have the maximum exposure of Pearl or Yamaha, and their lack of resonance suits a gym better than a wide open football stadium). And I won't even begin to talk about my experience of having to teach a line using Dynasty, and hoping the drums would last more than a couple of seasons of winter percussion season (spoiler: they didn't).

Obviously we all have are favorites and biases, and a lot of it has to do with what we used when we marched and what we have experience on. I've taught Yamaha, Pearl, and Dynasty lines over the years, and Dynasty is a VERY distant third to the others when it came to sound quality, looks, and durability. Dynasty was, I think, maybe a little bit cheaper so at least you have that going for them. Oh, and at least they're not Ludwig. :tongue:

They used those in the Memorial day parade as well. They might be using that line for two seasons. Many corps do that. I was thinking Die-nasty would furnish them new drums every year since they are their flagship DCI line (since BD moved up to Pearl).

i must say that i COMPLETELY agree w/ your analysis here

(i added in the bold/italics)

too many notes, IMO

Blue Stars' battery is being arranged by Aungst. So too many notes is too be expected. I love the way he writes his books so it'll do great with the music they already have.

This may be one of the years where all the WC corps get new drums. Mapex is shipping new drums to their corps in WC so that means almost everyone (Pioneer, Mandarins, Cascasdes?) are getting new looks.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?p...;id=63631340184

Phantom's new drums. Never tried to post a picture or anything on here like this, hope it works. Otherwise, it's on Dynasty's facebook page and someone can do it properly for me.

Pretty neat looking drum. Always like the Dynasty custom finishes people use. Now if only the Glassmen would show theirs. Anyone seen them? :tongue: :tongue:

Not a drum guy so excuse me if I sould like an idiot...

Is that completely assembled? It does not look like it to me, looks really cheaply put together IMO.

Not a drum guy so excuse me if I sould like an idiot...

Is that completely assembled? It does not look like it to me, looks really cheaply put together IMO.

Looks like it's right out of the box: assembled though with plastic head.

In order to not further rag on Dynasty drums, I shall post a "no comment" in regards to cheaply put together :tongue: