Drums! (2010 Edition)

Are The Mandarins and Teal Sound still using Premier? Those drums sounded like a cardboard box.

Special note to garbage drums: Remember those god aweful Remos that a handful of corps used to march? Yeeeesh!

If it's not Pearl or Yamaha, it's crap.

Mandarins use Pearl.

Teal Sound uses Mapex

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot has changed with drums, but in looking at those I just cringed in thinking (and remembering) lugs popping off the drums. (in reference to teh bottom of teh drum.) Maybe they have completely fixed that problem with drums built like this.

Dynasty's finishes are largely counter-top/formica laminates that are neither "unique" or pleasing (IMO at least). Every once in awhile their finishes are OK, but for me personally the instance that I look at a Dynasty finish and think "looks awesome" is very rare. Dynasty gets credit for producing a very inexpensive product that is able to compete in the market place (though if you've seen their financials, "compete" might not be quite the word) and they've done a good job of "borrowing" (though the courts might have a different term) some other industry patents that ARE actually unique. Their hardware design seems a bit clunky, and their sound leaves so much to be desired and doesn't really have the resonance of Pearl or Yamaha drums (which is why they are so popular with indoor drum lines: they don't quite have the maximum exposure of Pearl or Yamaha, and their lack of resonance suits a gym better than a wide open football stadium). And I won't even begin to talk about my experience of having to teach a line using Dynasty, and hoping the drums would last more than a couple of seasons of winter percussion season (spoiler: they didn't).

Obviously we all have are favorites and biases, and a lot of it has to do with what we used when we marched and what we have experience on. I've taught Yamaha, Pearl, and Dynasty lines over the years, and Dynasty is a VERY distant third to the others when it came to sound quality, looks, and durability. Dynasty was, I think, maybe a little bit cheaper so at least you have that going for them. Oh, and at least they're not Ludwig. :tongue:

And it's amazing to me that Ludwig let their products slip like they did. Back in the day they made the absolute best marching percussion, followed closely by Slingerland. I have an old maple Challenger snare that sounds absolutely incredible. Of course it's got mylar heads, and doesn't sound like a table top. :tongue:

I know a lot has changed with drums, but in looking at those I just cringed in thinking (and remembering) lugs popping off the drums. (in reference to teh bottom of teh drum.) Maybe they have completely fixed that problem with drums built like this.

It definitely doesn't happen as often. Sometimes lug casings break off of bass drums or tenors, but usually it's because they aren't being tuned correctly (mis-matched tension across the shell). Sometimes there will be a quality control issue where weaker materials were used, but that's pretty rare.

Rumor has it (facebook) Yamaha is giving the Cavaliers their new drums today!!!!!!! Also, that Mike MacIntosh designed the custom finish, we shall see soon.

Wow....will be interesting INTO THE LIGHT....I'm getting a little bit of a flashback to 95 SCV, tho.
fixed your post. ;)

If it's not Pearl or Yamaha, it's crap.

Well that's pretty ignorant.

Anywho:

People: all drums can sound great, as long as they are tuned the right way. So now that sound is out of the question, structural quality is up. Pearl and Yamaha have stood the test of time, that's for sure, but believe me - neither is without its faults. Dynasty drums are some of the best designed drums on the market, from a hardware perspective. Their quad cradle is by far the best quad mounting system on the market. The Mapex drums all sound great. Their problem is the hardware. The XL stuff is just outdated.

Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty, and Mapex all make drums that sound great. Personally having played on every single one of them, my take is this:

Pearl- The carbonply drums are by far the lightest drums I have every marched. They sound pretty good when tuned up the right (as they all do). The hardware holds up very well.

Yamaha- A bit heavier, sounds great when tuned up. However, the t-rods get bent easily

Dyansty- Heavy, and unless you're a corps, they never sound amazing

Mapex- My personal fav for some reason. They sound good, look good. The tenors are amazing. Basses sound awesome. I like the way Academy tunes them, they're always the best sounding line to me. Drum sounding wise

Pearl- The carbonply drums are by far the lightest drums I have every marched. They sound pretty good when tuned up the right (as they all do). The hardware holds up very well.

Soooo... You realize that the Carbonply drums are HEAVIER than the regular Championship drums, right?