Drums! (2010 Edition)

... and there was no question from anyone on staff that Yamaha was a substantially better sounding line than the Dynasties ever were.

having played on all 3 of the major companies AND Premier (sp?) i hafta say that in terms of sound quality, durability, design, visual appeal, etc they definitely rank like this:

(i've tried using spacing to show how close or far away from the competition each company is)

1. PEARL PEARL PEARL PEARL PEARL :blink::w00t::music::tongue::devil:

2. Yamaha (pretty dang decent, but just not quite as good. WAY less durable than Pearl)

3. Die-nasties :shutup:

4. Premier

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! No need to take anything personal of get overly defensive! I just wanted to point out a few differences in construction that totally affect the sound (I geek out sometimes over acoustic physics).

I TOTALLY have the opposite opinion of Phantom's sound on the Dynasties. I saw them in CA in 08 when they first switched and I was almost in shock at how much worse they sounded than Pearl (mainly sound projection). Watching them warm-up and getting 'up close and personal,' it looked like the snare line was working twice as hard approach wise to get similar volume/sound quality than they had to with the Pearl. I do agree that they tuned those snares about as well as they could have, and it was one of the best sounding snare lines I've heard heard from a Dynasty line.

I also totally disagree with the RCC comparison. The first WGI Regional in So Cal last year I got to sneak away from my group for a little while to check out their new drums. They're snare line was so much brighter and more exposed than any Dynasty line I've ever heard. I definitely think that the Pearl snares that projected clearer 'forced' RCC to have to be cleaner since they couldn't get away with as much 'grey' playing as they could with Dynasty snares. Not coincidently (IMO), their PA at WGI Finals was their lowest caption; while they were definitely playing a super demanding book, playing on more articulate snares definitely didn't help them.

To add to that, the WGI group that I've been teaching the past five years started out playing Dynasty, and then switched to Yamaha. We did a pretty thorough A/B test of the drums just for fun, and there was no question from anyone on staff that Yamaha was a substantially better sounding line than the Dynasties ever were.

I agree that Phantom in 08 didn't sound exactly like Pearls to a trained ear. The biggest offender to me was the bass drums. Dynasty bass drums just sound like boxes to me no matter what. The snares and quads, however, were MUUUUCH closer to the Pearl sound than anyone had ever produced before. I was most surprised with the quads. They had to tune them down a lot, but they managed to get a warm tone from the normally bright-sounding Dynasty quads. Certainly not perfect, but it was closer than anyone had gotten before with Dynasty drums.

As far as RCC goes, those were the best sounding bass drums they've ever had, for all the same reasons Phantom's now sound like boxes. They also managed to crank all the beautiful tone out of their quads, leaving only a reefed, bright sound more characteristic of how they sounded with Dynasty. As far as the snares go, Dynasty is often ragged on for sounding like tabletops. Dry, reefed, and short; because this is how BD has normally tuned them. RCC managed to get close to the same sound characteristics from their Pearls as well.

To me, projection is an entirely different issue.

Edited by big old drummer man

Yikes! No need to take anything personal of get overly defensive! I just wanted to point out a few differences in construction that totally affect the sound (I geek out sometimes over acoustic physics).

Well, you did state opinions as facts, thereby impugning someone else's opinion.