Drums! (2010 Edition)

People: all drums can sound great, as long as they are tuned the right way.

While this is argumentative, from a scientific point of view it's just patently false.

Yamaha - 6 ply birth with nodal points where the casings are attached to the shell; 12x14 diameter

Pearl - 6 ply maple with 100% free-floating casings & 45 degree bearing edge; 14x10 diameter

Dynasty - 8 ply maple with with top rim utilizing free floating and bottom using a nodal system connected to shell; 14x12 diameter

Basically: the thicker the shell, the more higher it will sound. The thinner the shell, the lower it will sound. Plus, the density of the wood also determines how thin a ply can be cut. With the different types of wood, different shell thicknesses, different amounts of wood ply, different ways putting the shell together, and different diameter, those point to perhaps subtle (if you're not well versed in the differences to be able to hear them), but definite sound differences. Add also different heads that corps use.

"Sounding great" is definitely subjective, but there are plenty of differences in drum construction that affect the sound quality of each of the 'big three' companies.

I won't even go into tenors, as those are RADICALLY different sounding based on the above factors plus the way each company cuts their shells (for example, Pearl generally uses significantly deeper shells than Yamaha); and regarding basses, different size combinations plus the things mentioned above (at least as far as amount of wood plies, type of wood, heads, tuning, and playing technique) make for pretty different sounds from company to company.

Again, the differences might not be glaring to some (they are to me), writing off all of the above factors and insinuating that all drums sound the same (or even "great," as you specifically said) is pretty naive on anyone's part.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly, those don't look so bad from a distance without a close-up + tons of lighting. It's the kind of finish where I might see it on a video or from the stands and think, "that looks cool" and then be bummed when I see it up close because it's a bit uglier than I thought it would look like. But compared to most of Dynasty's finishes, from a slight difference Phantom's drums don't look too ugly. They almost look silver sparkle (which is a finish I would absolutely love).

Edited by perc2100

Admittedly, those don't look so bad from a distance without a close-up + tons of lighting. It's the kind of finish where I might see it on a video or from the stands and think, "that looks cool" and then be bummed when I see it up close because it's a bit uglier than I thought it would look like. But compared to most of Dynasty's finishes, from a slight difference Phantom's drums don't look too ugly. They almost look silver sparkle (which is a finish I would absolutely love).

i don't quite get into the looks of the drums like other people. i'm not a percussionist and it's not something that interests me.

they're ok i guess. hopefully under the lights of the stadium they'll sparkle and fit the show's theme well.

Soooo... You realize that the Carbonply drums are HEAVIER than the regular Championship drums, right?

I was going to say.....I think the Carbonplys are some of the HEAVIEST drums Ive encountered.

White uniforms, white sticks, off-white drums.... seems things could get lost when watching them play.

But the drums do match the sash, so they've got that going for them... which is nice.

Edited by Fievel

What I'm wondering is.........

How many Yamaha lines are actually using "stock" (ie birch) shells? I taught the Colts the past 3 years, and our drums have been made of maple the past 2 years...the sound difference, IMO, is night and day, with the maple sounding so much warmer, fatter...the birch, to my ears, sounds thin.

The only difference between the 2007/08 drums and the 09/10 drums is the shell material. When we got the new drums last year, I was astounded at how much better the maple sounds. I wonder why it isn't an option for Yamaha to produce a maple line of drums for the band market. Cost? The maple drums that the corps are using all come from the Yamaha Drum Foundry. Basically, a drum custom shop.

I know the Cadets drums are also all maple, as are the Cavaliers, and Madison, IIRC.

Anyone know if any corps are using the standard birch Yamaha drums?

What I'm wondering is.........

How many Yamaha lines are actually using "stock" (ie birch) shells? I taught the Colts the past 3 years, and our drums have been made of maple the past 2 years...the sound difference, IMO, is night and day, with the maple sounding so much warmer, fatter...the birch, to my ears, sounds thin.

The only difference between the 2007/08 drums and the 09/10 drums is the shell material. When we got the new drums last year, I was astounded at how much better the maple sounds. I wonder why it isn't an option for Yamaha to produce a maple line of drums for the band market. Cost? The maple drums that the corps are using all come from the Yamaha Drum Foundry. Basically, a drum custom shop.

I know the Cadets drums are also all maple, as are the Cavaliers, and Madison, IIRC.

Anyone know if any corps are using the standard birch Yamaha drums?

We were one of the first Yamaha corps to get customized sparkle finishes. We have always used birch as our shell material. Its just something the caption head/arranger and coordinator prefer. Its not that maple isn't available to them. Ye ask and Yamaha shall giveth.