Drums! (2010 Edition)

32475_397988956588_759161588_4469213_466109_n.jpg

From Spirit's facebook page. The inside of those tenor shells appear to be black....indicating they are Carbonplys.

SO:

Spirit:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...1_6217481_n.jpg

SCV:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...0_7880176_n.jpg

Cool picture but I'm pretty sure that determination was made pages ago.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

other than the price i really don't see any reason why anyone likes Die-nasty drums

I'm a Pearl guy until the day I die, but I'll be d*mned if Dynasty's quad hardware isn't the best on the market. Also their harnesses are better than any of the Randy May stuff. I haven't seen the new Pearl harnesses/quad hardware in person yet, so I can't judge that. It's clearly a step up, though, from the Randy May crap.

Edited by big old drummer man

i do agree w/ u about the harnesses. the new Pearl ones are WAYYYYY better than dynasty or may

i did like the dynasty harnesses, except for the fact that i hadta hold my drum a certain way or it would come off of the crappy hooks that dynasty has on there. i almost dropped my drum 3 different times the year we used em

I agree that Phantom in 08 didn't sound exactly like Pearls to a trained ear... I was most surprised with the quads. They had to tune them down a lot, but they managed to get a warm tone from the normally bright-sounding Dynasty quads. Certainly not perfect, but it was closer than anyone had gotten before with Dynasty drums.

Phantom used the brand new deeper tenor shells from Dynasty which immediately gave them a more Pearl-like sound. Not sure if there were any other design changes on the tenors like bearing edge, but Rennick had Dynasty add some changes to the snares which improved the sound.

As far as RCC goes, those were the best sounding bass drums they've ever had, for all the same reasons Phantom's now sound like boxes. They also managed to crank all the beautiful tone out of their quads, leaving only a reefed, bright sound more characteristic of how they sounded with Dynasty. As far as the snares go, Dynasty is often ragged on for sounding like tabletops. Dry, reefed, and short; because this is how BD has normally tuned them. RCC managed to get close to the same sound characteristics from their Pearls as well.

RCC used the Articulite tenors (same as Music City Mystique uses) which have a much brighter sound than the Championship tenors so the comparison is apples and oranges.

As a side note, Blue Devils are prototyping a different depth tenor shell this to retain "their sound" but I'm sure the warmth of the Pearl sound will still be evident.

This thread has really brought out my dissatisfaction with drums between the high school and college level as compared to DCI.

High school lines and many college lines don't have the oppurtunity to change things with the drums to make them sound better. Yamaha doesn't offer maple shells to high schools unless the school's one of the ones that have an instructer who endores Yamaha. The birch shells in my opinion sound like crap. However, you switch to DCI and the lines have maple shells and they're by far my favorite sounding lines (Cavaliers and Cadets or Coats being my two personal favorites). I like the maple shell with the inner ply of carbonfiber that Pearl gives drum corps lines. However, no high school is going to have that option to get drums with that setup unless the above situation is in place. I LOVE the sound those drums produce. Carbonply drums from Pearl straight up are just loud, but if they get tuned right, they're ok. Pure maple FFX drums are good too, but almost every singe line in DCI uses the maple/carbonfiber set up. And they sound great. Dynasty-it's Dynasty. I don't know if it's because they don't have many lines, but it seems like the endorsers have more say in how they're drums are built. I don't have much experience with Mapex so I won't comment there.

My main thing is: why not let every line out there have their choices in drums? Why doesn't Yamaha make maple shelled drums availabe to everyone? Why doesn't Pearl come out with a new series that is the maple/Carbon combo and have it available for high school and college lines? Finishes and hardware is another thing, but any line can order drums with chrome or another finish. How much do drums even cost the corps? Are they free every year they get new drums or what?

Harnesses- Pearl aiframe harnesses are definitely my favorite out there right now.

Actually, if you want all those options you can get them... just have to ask. And, of course, be willing to pay for the custom specs.

How much do drums even cost the corps? Are they free every year they get new drums or what?

Generally, they're free...but they are more "borrowed" than "given" to the corps. Also depends on the drum company and the contract with the corps. I know Pearl usually gives their corps new drums every year, however at the end of the year (meaning about the next memorial day weekend, when new drums come in) the corps has to send them back, at which point Pearl sells them to whomever wants them.

Generally, they're free...but they are more "borrowed" than "given" to the corps. Also depends on the drum company and the contract with the corps. I know Pearl usually gives their corps new drums every year, however at the end of the year (meaning about the next memorial day weekend, when new drums come in) the corps has to send them back, at which point Pearl sells them to whomever wants them.

Which is generally Fork's Drum Closet in Tennessee. Which is where I am planning on getting a Pearl with the maple/Carbon combo when the 09 BK drums come in.

Which is generally Fork's Drum Closet in Tennessee. Which is where I am planning on getting a Pearl with the maple/Carbon combo when the 09 BK drums come in.

Yup! Forgot to mention that, but I have bought corps' drums through them before as well. They actually put me in contact with Pearl, who was then able to tell me exactly what they had. Very helpful and friendly...both parties.

Edit: If you haven't checked with them already, I would assume those drums would already be in. That was a pretty awesome finish and I'll bet there will be others lining up to get them as well...so I would recommend getting on it ASAP. As I said above, just give Fork's a call and they will hook you up with the right people. Good luck!

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky