I was not at any of these, but what was wrong with KC as a finals loca

My first two years of drumcorps was there. Hot and was it also humid? Back when tours were longer and finals were LATE August. Actually kind of sucked because the ride home from finals was like two whole days shorter. I was robbed I tell you, I could have toured for two more days. They might be one of the regions on year round school now. Not sure about that though. Some of the best tasting water of all tour at our facility back in '88 and '89. There and the hometown of sorts Riverside, CA, for best water. Two plus decades later so who knows if that's still the case.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KC is grass now too I believe

Plus, it would only be a hour away for me !! :tongue:

Only about 3 for me... i fly in and out of KC all the time, and love coming down there, whether it be for the B12 tourney or for a football game. Already looking forward to seeing Iowa State play there again this fall.

I marched at Arrowhead in '88 and have lived in KC ever since. It is my understanding that the new grass vs. the turf is a big problem. The Chiefs used to allow tons of other events (Monsters of Rock, Paul McCartney, Billy Graham, Sunday Sunday Sunday monster truck rallies), but Arrowhead stands mostly quiet during the football off season now.

Given the amount of corps these days, I don't think housing would be a big problem. Plus to my home town for BBQ, hotels, hospitality, and location. Negative is no stadium willing to house DCI.

Sound was great, BTW- both for performers and spectators.

For viewing and listening, Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium in 1988 and 1989 was one of the best venues DCI has utilized for it's Championships. Great city with fabulous food, too!

One of the worst cities DCI has visited was Jackson, MS. Ugh!

DCI should back off from the huge NFL stadiums and return to the best of the college stadiums around the country. One of my favorites has become Stanford Stadium in the San Jose, California area. What a great place for Drum Corps! Too small for Championships, but an awesome site for West Regionals!

Personally, I would love to experience DCI Championships at the new Giants Stadium, Meadowlands, East Rutherford, NJ! Sweet!

Another good choice could be Rutgers Stadium.

I was there in 1989. I thought it may have been the best sounding stadium for Finals. Madison is good, even Buffalo is pretty good for sound, but KC was excellent. It's a nice location. A bit more middle of the country than is Indianapolis.

My first 2 years where in KC (Sky Ryders '88 and '89). I thought it was great. We didn't make finals in '89 so I got so hear it from the stands. The sound was great. In my opininion the best sound was Denver, but thet may purely be because I had the best seats by far that year. I have had crummy seats basically every year I went. I went to finals every year as a fan from '93 until '07. (aged out in '92). So, I've been to all te sites since '88. My parents and I would agree that KC was a a really nice site. Good size. Comfortable seats. Predicatable weather. Good sound. Good surface.

That tunnel was something else. It felt like it was 100 miles long.

Given the amount of corps these days, I don't think housing would be a big problem.

Beg to differ on this point. Many schools in todays world are: a) doing summer construction projects, b) holding summer classes and summer camps (precursor to the advent of all-year schools), c) shutting down campus during the summer to save funds; or d) not interested in accomidating for anything that is non-school related. Last year I was attending either the the Dallas or Denton DCI show and an announcement came over the intercom that a corps coming up from Houston had just lost their housing site and needed an immediate place to stay; and some corps' were staying over an hour and a half away from the show site because they could not find housing any closer (and ths is a metro place like the big D).

Edited by Stu

LOVED Kansas City. We stayed in Olathe KS, about 20 miles from the stadium so it wasnt too bad for us. I do believe that some corps stayed quite a long ways away. Blue Devils if I recall had quite a hike to the stadium. That said, we (Freelancers) were treated like royalty in Olathe. As far as the stadium was concerned? Second to none. By far the best venue I played in all my years in drum corps. Camp Randall (love that place btw) did not hold a candle to Arrowhead.

LOVED Kansas City. We stayed in Olathe KS, about 20 miles from the stadium so it wasnt too bad for us. I do believe that some corps stayed quite a long ways away. Blue Devils if I recall had quite a hike to the stadium. That said, we (Freelancers) were treated like royalty in Olathe. As far as the stadium was concerned? Second to none. By far the best venue I played in all my years in drum corps. Camp Randall (love that place btw) did not hold a candle to Arrowhead.

Backing up with CJ said, Olathe was AWESOME! Big crowd every night to watch our production run-throughs, rural area, although I think we were about 40 miles out rather than 20, it was quite a hike from what I remember. In fact, the ride was so long that finals night I fell asleep o\n the bus from the school to the stadium and was reallyu groogy for our show that night. But I digress... We stayed at the same school both years and were never bothered once. I thought KC was a GREAT finals host. Big giant parking loots made for lots of warm-up space. And the sound resonated in that stadium like none I had ever heard. Good memories.

Well... DCI may not be having a show there this year. But, there is a show in Kansas City:

July 19, 2010

Colts - Dubuque, IA

Blue Devils - Concord, CA

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Madison Scouts - Madison, WI

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA