Is it just me or does it seem like alot of corps are looking for people to fill holes this year more than previous years?

d5b602f7759bd72b4c1000d4a988954374cf8e37_Potholes.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they want to get the best person possible, but saying that you want a certain level of experience or high ability to me dissuades people from trying out. I guess they've had some bad people come try to fill a hole in the past?

You bring up a great point because I know before I auditioned for Cadets, I was always afraid to try out. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way.

Well they want to get the best person possible, but saying that you want a certain level of experience or high ability to me dissuades people from trying out. I guess they've had some bad people come try to fill a hole in the past?

If you're a top corps, especially one like Cadets, BD, Cavaliers, who have been top 3 a whole heck of a lot, it actually makes perfect sense to announce your openings and set a very high standard. The point is to NOT have a lot of people interested. You actually want to scare off the dreamers or those that are afraid and not sure. That's not to say that these folks couldn't "cut it," but it is to say that at this late in the process it is in the best interest of the corps to find someone who is extremely confident, talented, and someone ready to do the "leg" work. They need someone willing to show everyone in the corps that they can be trusted and will not let them down.

As others have said, it is perfectly normal to have openings this time of the year, and up through July. There are so many reasons a kid might have to leave a corps. Family emergency, funding, injury (and with the shows these corps perform these days, this is likely the big reason), being home sick, and sometimes the kid may have got themselves into some trouble with the corps and were sent home due to discipline reasons.

I know that when the Cadets announce their openings, they are crystal clear about what is expected, so they tend to attract that kind of kid. It works out.

Edited by jwillis35

Many top 12 corps fill these holes with alums who are still eligible but did not come out that winter for various reasons, such as $$$, school, etc. These folks are a known commodity, have a known talent level and ability to survive Spring Training, and usually get a pretty good break off the total fees.

And it seems there are some who corps-hop and do this multiple summers, marching for cheap by joining up late.

I saw you posted a picture and thought for sure it was going to be the one from Guatemala... but I was disappointed. This is more holes than usual...

That would be a very difficult hole to fill. There aren't enough prospective corps members out there to fill that hole.