Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

well...Dan may be keeping his cards close to the vest. I guess that both sides right now are not saying much of anything new publicly til the July meeting is probably what we'll get

Kind of a shame, really . . .it would have been good to have some equal time on this.

Not only that, but it is now confirmed that the remaining two G7 people resigned from the DCI BOD, and none of the G7 are talking.

I was hoping to see some gesture from the G7 side (even if only individual corps) indicating something other than just the figurative, substantive and literal withdrawal from DCI conferred by their recent actions. Without that, I see little hope for reconciliation, as the pattern of events continues to proceed toward a split/boycott.

What all the press-level material continues to dance around is what these "philosophical differences" are. That's where our discussions here have been so valuable. IMO, the two main points of contention are:

1. The G7 contention that they deserve more simply because of their recent competitive success.

2. An increasing number of efforts by G7 corps to generate their own revenue streams from established products and services of DCI (i.e. CDs, DVDs, Fan Network, clinics, ticketing, event management).

DCI cannot proceed effectively without resolution of both of these issues.

1. The G7 contention that they deserve more simply because of their recent competitive success.

Have you seen the most 'recent' movie, "Revenge of the Nerds"? How about that recent Michael Jackson record, "Thriller"?

If "recent" means "a third of a century", then you're on to something. Most of the 7 are just flashes in the drum corps pan. :tongue:

Edited by mobrien

Based upon my observations, DCI seems more united in their opposition to this power grab attempt. I 'd not be willing to say that the G-7 are united in their efforts to go it alone outside of DCI to pursue this scheme, if it came to that. The Cavaliers ( for just one example ) are only committed to listening more and talking more about this scheme. So all we can say for certain right now, it seems to me, is that the G-7 will be mum and meeting behind closed doors to further discuss this scheme they have for themselves and for DCI. Right now, it appears the G-7 don't have the votes to get this through DCI, even if they came together as a united G-7 which they may not be able to accomplish in the coming months.

Edited by BRASSO

Not only that, but it is now confirmed that the remaining two G7 people resigned from the DCI BOD, and none of the G7 are talking.

I was hoping to see some gesture from the G7 side (even if only individual corps) indicating something other than just the figurative, substantive and literal withdrawal from DCI conferred by their recent actions. Without that, I see little hope for reconciliation, as the pattern of events continues to proceed toward a split/boycott.

What all the press-level material continues to dance around is what these "philosophical differences" are. That's where our discussions here have been so valuable. IMO, the two main points of contention are:

2. An increasing number of efforts by G7 corps to generate their own revenue streams from established products and services of DCI (i.e. CDs, DVDs, Fan Network, clinics, ticketing, event management).

I think the biggest point of contention is probably the 2-vote per member for the G7.

I would have liked to hear from the G7 too but I'm not sure what to make of their silence. Is there dissension in the ranks? Did they actually see that slideshow before it was presented? IMHO the continued silence from the G7 corps is hurting them not help them.

I'm not sure I "the pattern of events" indicates anything unless your convinced that the only interpretation of the G7 cone of silence that they're planning to walk.

I'd like to hear something from the G7 as well, but Hop did mention on that Facebook post that they were gonna lay low for a bit.

Plus, I've heard rumor that there's a drum corps season coming up sometime soon.

... they might be busy with that.

I think the biggest point of contention is probably the 2-vote per member for the G7.

I would have liked to hear from the G7 too but I'm not sure what to make of their silence. Is there dissension in the ranks? Did they actually see that slideshow before it was presented? IMHO the continued silence from the G7 corps is hurting them not help them.

I'm not sure I "the pattern of events" indicates anything unless your convinced that the only interpretation of the G7 cone of silence that they're planning to walk.

I don't think the G-7 silence means that they're ready "to walk ". If they are, they'd have to have made plans for a G-7 vote and election of Board, Officers , by laws, charter, seed money, website construction and maintenance, marketing wing, office site, and 50 other things in place before they ride off into the sunset.

I'd like to hear something from the G7 as well, but Hop did mention on that Facebook post that they were gonna lay low for a bit.

Plus, I've heard rumor that there's a drum corps season coming up sometime soon.

... they might be busy with that.

And they'll still be busy with that when this next meeting occurs July 16, where they intend to address this G7 business again.

Not just the cone of silence....also the secret meetings, partial withdrawal of directors from the BOD, the attitude that top corps "subsidize" other corps, talk of "we're doing this with or without the rest of you", the big proposal behind closed doors, and more withdrawals from the BOD after said proposal was rejected. Just to name a few things we've seen before (DCM/DCI).

Man do I hope they walk!

Look if they ride off into the sunset and make history then great for them! I support their option to do their own thing! If they ride off and fail it is always possible that DCI will allow them back in... But if they do not come back then we have a free for all as far as who will be the best... That is fresh competetion people and the activity will do as well as it is able given the difficulties with the product we produce.

Do not get me wrong but does it now take 10 minutes to get a corps set up to do a show? Does it not take 10 minutes for a corps to do a show? So in our 5 hour long show days we have 50% show and 50% waiting and watching stuff come off the field and back onto the field...

We will only be able to grow as big as our model will allow...

Edited by Big Bad Bari