Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Pertinent info for those coming in new to the discussion:

The G7 corps press release (from SCV's website):

The Drum Corps World article:

Dan Acheson's letter on the DCI website:

. . .and the now publicly available proposal itself:

. . a long-term plan and budget release from the DCI board:

. . .and now, a DCW interview with Dan Acheson that touches on the G7 issue:

While the posts have gone a bit afield of the original post and conversation, I'm really enjoying the MB conversation a lot.

It is often asserted that MB has replaced local drum corps, for the most part. And I would agree with that, sort of. But there are huge differences between those school-sponsored MB's and a local drum corps:

1. The students in the school ensemble are most likely there because 1) they get PE credit, 2) they are told they can't be in wind ensemble unless they play in MB.

2. #1 above leads to what I think is the most important difference between MB and Drum Corps: DESIRE. When you're on the field with 25, 50, 100 or 140+ other people who are there because they absolutely, positively WANT to be there, the sense of purpose and drive is completely different than in MB. This is where drum corps "services" its membership differently. A local drum corps on a smaller touring model still serves this purpose, and this is why I think it's very important to keep this particular segment of drum corps alive if at all possible.

3. Diversity: In MB, you experience only the people who go to your school. In drum corps, you share the field with people older than high school, from various parts of the country, and sometimes from other nations. But again, everyone is united by desire.

At least of here in East:

1) has largely gone away. Kid in MB are there because they choose to be there (or there parents forced them :( )

2) i'd characterize difference as "In DC *everyone* is highly motivated". Lots of kids in MB have a strong desire to get better.

3) agree here (although it is one of the few places in HS where class boundaries (as in Freshmen, Sophomore...) are broken down.

Getting back to DC -- look I agree it's important to build the activity. I just don't see removing competitive MB as part of the solution. As I said earlier, there's a mindset in band directors who feel they are viewed as resources by drum corps. If drum corps can convince them they're partners instead I think it will be big step forward.

Editor’s Note: Drum Corps World offered the same Q&A opportunity to the authors of the G7 proposal, but they declined to participate.

Kind of a shame, really . . .it would have been good to have some equal time on this.

At least of here in East:

1) has largely gone away. Kid in MB are there because they choose to be there (or there parents forced them :( )

2) i'd characterize difference as "In DC *everyone* is highly motivated". Lots of kids in MB have a strong desire to get better.

3) agree here (although it is one of the few places in HS where class boundaries (as in Freshmen, Sophomore...) are broken down.

Getting back to DC -- look I agree it's important to build the activity. I just don't see removing competitive MB as part of the solution. As I said earlier, there's a mindset in band directors who feel they are viewed as resources by drum corps. If drum corps can convince them they're partners instead I think it will be big step forward.

We're in agreement here, regarding the section I bolded. I was just branching off to discuss why smaller local drum corps still needs support.

As for #1: It's definitely different in various regions. In Texas? In many schools, if you want to play in the top concert ensemble, marching band is a pre-requisite. (at least it was as recently as a couple of years ago) And PE credit for marching band is still a big draw.

As for #2: Yes, many kids in MB wish to get better. But I think we all know that there are probably just as many that are there mostly for the PE credit or the wind ensemble pre-req or whatever, and they don't have the fire or drive that drum corps membership has. There's a reason many drum corps have a marching band re-entry discussion at the end of the season. I think reality needs to be acknowledged: you can try to elevate MB with statements like "many kids in MB want to get better," but let's be real - it's almost NEVER like drum corps, and we need to keep selling that point to those kids who are already motivated in MB, and also to all the others who may think marching music excellence is not something to aspire to.

MF: Do you have anything else you’d like to share for the good of the order?

DA: I hope everybody comes out this season and supports every one of the corps, no matter who they are, and cheers loudly and positively for every one of them. The performers deserve nothing less.

Best part of the whole Q&A, IMHO.

Kind of a shame, really . . .it would have been good to have some equal time on this.

yep, but, I understand their reasoning. DCW, in their eyes, made them look like the bad guys.

glad to see him plug the judging audit with Cesario some more. I can't wait to see those results.

We're in agreement here, regarding the section I bolded. I was just branching off to discuss why smaller local drum corps still needs support.

As for #1: It's definitely different in various regions. In Texas? In many schools, if you want to play in the top concert ensemble, marching band is a pre-requisite. (at least it was as recently as a couple of years ago) And PE credit for marching band is still a big draw.

As for #2: Yes, many kids in MB wish to get better. But I think we all know that there are probably just as many that are there mostly for the PE credit or the wind ensemble pre-req or whatever, and they don't have the fire or drive that drum corps membership has. There's a reason many drum corps have a marching band re-entry discussion at the end of the season. I think reality needs to be acknowledged: you can try to elevate MB with statements like "many kids in MB want to get better," but let's be real - it's almost NEVER like drum corps, and we need to keep selling that point to those kids who are already motivated in MB, and also to all the others who may think marching music excellence is not something to aspire to.

this is where MENC needs to be nvolved, as they should know their customer better than DCI.

You expected it would so soon after they released their own PR piece?

I mean, I know we wanted more, but it's been a few weeks.

I got more from the interviewer (the idea of a DCI Season Ticket) than I did from Dan. I understand why the interview happened - chance to keep the smoothing-of-the-waters message out there, but it might as well have been posted on DCI.org.

Mike