Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Wow, that interview... didn't really shed any new light whatsoever. :tongue:

Mike

Agreed, except that it did show how "pinched" Dan is by the two sides.

It's curious that the tone of his comments (and the interviewer's question) was clearly pointing towards him orchestrating a reconciliation, yet it so widely known, or accepted, that Dan is essentially a worker bee at the behest of the corps.

If I were him I'd be tempted to throw up my hands and say "Look boys, this is your fight. You tell me what to do.", then cross my arms and wait.

But I'd probably resolve to take the tack he is and try to play peacemaker.

If he can maneuver a "Dan saves drum corps!" moment it would certainly solidify his position - ala Pesceone's.

Have you seen the most 'recent' movie, "Revenge of the Nerds"? How about that recent Michael Jackson record, "Thriller"?

If "recent" means "a third of a century", then you're on to something. Most of the 7 are just flashes in the drum corps pan. :tongue:

"Age and treachery will beat youth and enthusiasm every time."

Age = perspective

We need the adults in the room now.

Based upon my observations, DCI seems more united in their opposition to this power grab attempt. I 'd not be willing to say that the G-7 are united in their efforts to go it alone outside of DCI to pursue this scheme, if it came to that. The Cavaliers ( for just one example ) are only committed to listening more and talking more about this scheme. So all we can say for certain right now, it seems to me, is that the G-7 will be mum and meeting behind closed doors to further discuss this scheme they have for themselves and for DCI. Right now, it appears the G-7 don't have the votes to get this through DCI, even if they came together as a united G-7 which they may not be able to accomplish in the coming months.

This is an interesting point. I'd have thought the non-Gifted-Ones would have kicked the gauntlet back in the G7's face with some sort of statement.

Anecdotally, I sent emails to each of the 22 corps imploring them to not allow woodwinds on the competitive field, and I got several, if not many, kind responses that were heartfelt and sincere.

Then, a week after the G7 explosion I sent letters to the non-G7 corps encouraging them to fight hard against this proposal. Not one reply. Nada. Zip.

I appreciate the necessary solidarity of the collective (borg) but the G7 had no compunction about slapping the others in the face via their proposal. I guess I was expecting, and would like to see, some more comments from non-G7s showing their solidarity in keeping the group together.

Edited by garfield

I don't think the G-7 silence means that they're ready "to walk ". If they are, they'd have to have made plans for a G-7 vote and election of Board, Officers , by laws, charter, seed money, website construction and maintenance, marketing wing, office site, and 50 other things in place before they ride off into the sunset.

On the other hand, this might be going on right now.

Perhaps the split is already made. No G7 representation on the DCI BOD. Looks like G7 drew the line in the sand, non-G7 said "no", and they're not talking to each other. And the King of the G7 has said that change WILL be made in 2011. Period. If that isn't a split, what is?

Man do I hope they walk!

Look if they ride off into the sunset and make history then great for them! I support their option to do their own thing! If they ride off and fail it is always possible that DCI will allow them back in... But if they do not come back then we have a free for all as far as who will be the best... That is fresh competetion people and the activity will do as well as it is able given the difficulties with the product we produce.

This is the most exciting thing about the whole brew-ha-ha. If DCI survives the mess then they will have the chance to evolve its structure while accommodating all the member corps.

Do not get me wrong but does it now take 10 minutes to get a corps set up to do a show? Does it not take 10 minutes for a corps to do a show? So in our 5 hour long show days we have 50% show and 50% waiting and watching stuff come off the field and back onto the field...

Not at our show. Well, not quite anyway, our time from last exit to announcement is 7 minutes. Still I understand your point; I'm just not sure what it means. You claim the 'tween corps time is a hindrance to the activity's growth. I don't see that, although I'll admit having historical videos on the jumbo is better than watching the pits tear down and set up. The G7 vision is similar to Barnum and Bailey...entertainment in three rings to keep your attention, and clowns running around throwing rubber chickens to keep the kids laughing. "Look over here, not over there!" Is that theme a significant key to DCI's appeal to young-skulls-full-of-mush? The G7 think so. Meh, IMO.

I, personally, think having a few minutes to catch my breath and prepare for the next show is convenient. If you fill up that time with useless cr** it will ultimately diminish the main event.

We will only be able to grow as big as our model will allow...

True. And where, along that curve, do you see the activity now? Exhausted, or groaning?

I got more from the interviewer (the idea of a DCI Season Ticket) than I did from Dan. I understand why the interview happened - chance to keep the smoothing-of-the-waters message out there, but it might as well have been posted on DCI.org.

Mike

?

?

This really needs to be spelled out? :tongue:

It's not hard to draw parallels between the non-confrontational answers Dan gave and a typical DCI.org "rah rah, everything is fine" piece. No one faults Dan for trying to not rock the boat given the situation, but the answers in the piece are just a wee bit . . .vanilla.

Additionally, I hardly think the issue is "over-discussed", as much as he or anyone else may think so. The only "discussion" is the one taking place here from folks who have to piece together what crumbs they've been given along the way; there's sure as hell none in the dueling press releases we've seen along the way so far from either side.

News flash to G7 and/or DCI: you have to get fan buy-in along the way . . .and maybe even explain your positions and reasoning . . . no matter what road we end up traveling. Someone has to understand where to go to buy the tickets to see little Timmy when this is all said and done. :tongue:

I kind of find it interesting that before all the G7 stuff there were so many people who felt DCI for many years was the evil empire and now it's Utopia of virtue.There was even a thread on how drum corps died in 1971. Not challenging anyone here by no means , I just fouind it iteresting. :tongue:

I agree with others. Dan has to be careful about what he says for a number of reasons. He knows the G7 corps are upset that the proposal was released in the first place (not sure if that we as planned or not). DCI responded in kind with their own statement via DCW. As Bawker has stated, we have now been left trying to pick up the crumbs and piece together the information is some fashion. Cleary a lot is on the line. A season is about to begin. They do not want to ruffle the feathers of die-hard fans anymore than they already have. The average fan at the shows will have no knowledge of this behind-the-scenes play. But in the minds of DCI and the G7 enough has already spilled. Any additional statements might be taken out of context and create more problems and complaints. So, yeah, they are going to be careful from now until that meeting in July.

My first thought is this: All can be worked out. It really can.

The G7 corps need DCI more than DCI needs them (and that really is true). I know we would be losing a lot if the G7 left. But DCI is a brand name, more so than any individual corps. DCI has tie-ins to BOA, MENC, and already has established large regional shows and has made contacts with many city organizations from around the country. The G7 would have to start fresh, hiring administration, finding a new name, developing a web presence and show schedule, and much more. Seems like a lot to do when most of the issues they have with DCI at present can be solved.

But DCI also needs the G7, or at least they would love to keep them. There is no question that the G7 corps are headliners. There are others that are headliners, but certainly those 7 are as well. They help each show market itself, they provide a grerat product (was listening to the Cadets latest clip...gosh are they going to be good. What a shame it would be to lose them, or any of them), and the G7 corps provide DCI with that super high-end performance level that let's fans see just how good a drum corps can be. The competition within that group can be incredible at times.

Nonetheless, should the G7 leave, here is what DCI should do:

1. Meet with the remaining corps, realign the association so that DCI is no longer working for the member corps, but make it so DCI becomes a corporation that operates according to its own charter and administration. It's BOD are a combination of corps directors, esteemed industry leaders/artists, and business folks. Corps from around the world are encouraged, even invited, to join DCI, and by joining, they become member corps which provide them with 1 vote by dint of 1 seat on the BOD. However, although each member corps gets a vote (and their input is most important), DCI is not run by the corps, but is its own self governing body. They should govern the activity in a manner that is best for saving the activity, marketing the competitions, preserving history, making wise choices abour the future, and protecting the tradition of the American Drum and Bugle Corps, and all international corps that join its ranks.

2. Use your newly-formed connections with MENC to establish better connections with high school band programs of all types, not just competitive bands and the need for kids from Texas or where ever the "flavor of the month" happens to be.

3. Establish a true regional tour in 5 parts of the country (East, South, Midwest, Plains, West). Have the regional tour run from mid June to July 5 (allowing all corps to, if they can, be in local parades for July 4). There is no need for all the corps to hit places like Rhode Island or elsewhere when it is vital to keeping good community support to have these corps in one of the most important local parades any community will offer. This goes a long way. Begin your national tour July 6 and go to the 2nd weekend of August. Provide 4 regionals (DCI West, DCI South, DCI Midwest, DCI Plains), then provide 3 Super-Regionals (DCI East, The Masters of Music, DCI Texas).

4. Develop a revenue sharing system that works for all corps and that does not ONLY promote the best competitors. This goes for web, media, appearance fees, and more.

5. Put together a task force whose primary goal is to encourage, educate, and work with grass-roots organizations that may have the potential of starting a corps. The idea is to see it through from beginning stages to newly-competing corps. All members of the organization pay dues, and part of that dues, along with other revenue, goes to securing the future of the activity, for which this would be a necessary part.

There is more, but I think this would be a start.

Edited by jwillis35

I kind of find it interesting that before all the G7 stuff there were so many people who felt DCI for many years was the evil empire and now it's Utopia of virtue.There was even a thread on how drum corps died in 1971. Not challenging anyone here by no means , I just fouind it iteresting. :tongue:

As you probably realize, DCI is neither an evil empire nor a perfect utopia....it falls somewhere in between. Watching the G7 try to repeat the mistakes DCI has learned from, however, does make us more vocal in our appreciation of DCI's attributes.