What was the most legendary show of all time?

I have a different list of performances that profoundly affected the activity:

1974 Madison Scouts - power, in your face, melody line

1975 Blue Devils - a radical departure from 1974, and set the stage for 1976 and beyond - a new sound

1980 SCV - asymmetric drill - have you listened to that show lately? 8th place? Are you kidding me?

1987 Garfield Cadets - THE performance of Appalacian Spring

2002 Cavaliers - excellence

Sorry. SCV was 7th in 1980. Great, great show for so many reasons, but too much change throughout the season prevented it from being top 5 clean.

Still one of the best drum solos ever, and a teriffic drill, too.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh pleeeeze, I wanna smack you and hug you at the same time !! LOL

have to bring up a point regarding 1984 Garfield drill. Luckyenough to see that at least ten times that year and also own the high camera vid, as far as sets and seamless transitions go and marrying movement to the music, 84 trumps 85 by miles, MILES !!.....85 is no slacker and is one of my most watched shows, but I take 84 anytime.

G

Couldn't disagree more. 85 is the best movement-to-music drill I ever saw.

We need to watch together. Ill beat my ideas into your head, and vice-a-versa.

...didnt help that Candide fell apart at the end either.

G

performance by corps? meh.

it is supposed to be YOUR opinion on the legendary top five shows of all time.....put them all together and choose the top five that are the most legendary...out of all the choices, do you feel these two are the five most legendary to ever hit the field ??

G

G is spot-on!

This has all to do with what is the most "game changing/most memorable/most-amazing-thing-to-hit-the-football-field" show ever in DCI history. It appears we are getting some repeat shows listed and that is helping validate them. But there are a few new ones recently noted as well...keep it up.

Last note: When you provide your most legendary show(s), please continue to explain why they are the most legendary, in your opinion. I may be contacting you through PM for more if you provide a valid argument which may be included in the Halftime Magazine story.

Thanks everyone!

-GM

1975 Muchahchos ... An AMAZING hornline by the corps that never was.

1986 Blue Devils ... The corps that epitomizes DCI of the 80s.

1991 Star of Indiana ... Mellophones, mellophones, mellophones and closing drill that could only be described as pure unadulterated genius.

2007 Carolina Crown ... On the outside!!

2008 Phantom Regiment ... I AM SPARTACUS!!

Interesting to see how many favorites are g-7 bands.

g7 looks so diffrent than G7. I chuckle when I see g7. Its funny.

84 Garlield Cadets, the game changer. You cannot deny the show for pure beauty, power and excitement. A new era had begun after that show.

86 Blue Devils, this also was a statement show. We are here and we could win every year if we wanted to. The smackdown that they did that year was legendary. No one was in there leage that whole year. The statment was made, when I saw that show my jaw-dropped.

75 Madison Scouts- This show is why alot of people live for Drum Corps. The legend was born from that year. I swear if you play every other Championship show and then play this show last, you will know why Drum Corps is still alive and kicking. Its kinda fun trying to find something to top that. Scott Stewarts 1st year on staff, and he is still going strong with the Kilties. God bless him.

Cavaliers, The Machine years. Dont know really which one to pick so I am going to group it together. Nobody and I mean nobody was doing anything like they were doing. Spin Cycle, Frameworks, the Machine. I have a hard time believing anything topped those shows. Something very special about those years. If you never were able to see those shows live you missed out. Everytime I see those shows I am always saying How did they do that? Classic Cavaliers. Marching Gods.

88 Madison Scouts-I dont think a single person that was there left before we played our encore and sang Never Walk together. Goosebumb city, for about 4 hrs. The place was electric. I have never in my life of Drum Corps seen that many people stay and watch a Corps march their show agian. And then when we were done they all stayed to watch us sing to them, pretty much with them, all the corps, all the staffs, all the fans, everyone. It was another statement show and if you can find yourself watching something better than Malaguana 88 finals, your probubly watching Malaguana 88 prelims.

DCI the Major League!

PEACE!

Edited by thirdcoast

75 Madison: game changer because it was the triumph of style and spark -

79 BD: game changer because it was the triumph of a more refined brass sound (BIG kudos to late 70s Phantom, which was also pioneering quantum leaps in brass performance...)

83 Cadets: game changer because they redefined the world of marching music

93 Star: game changer because instead of looking at those 11.5 minutes as an opportunity for four 'hits', they said 'whoa...it's 11.5 minutes! We've ONLY GOT 11.5 minutes...that's maybe...just maybe...time for ONE HIT'

2002 Cavies: If I'm not mistaken (and I know you'll correct me if I'm wrong) Frameworks was a game changer because their

combination of 'thinking outside the box drill' and fine (if overly controlled) brass and percussion playing set the tone for drum corps in the current decade

Edited by FHdork