Sunrisers 2010 Announcement

to VOReason:

I understand your comment considering the historical success and importance of the two corps mentioned, but your choice of words "Vanquish in Class A" is unfortunate and I believe inappropriate. The current system has proven to provide a pathway for both new and returning corps to find their way to success and maintain that success either in Class A or Open Class depending on their size and competitive choice. I point directly at both Atlanta corps as a perfect example of how the system has been successful.

We all hope to see Sunrisers back on the positive path to success in the very near future.

AGREE TOM;

Class A is a great place to be also. Some groups THRIVE and do some great things there. Then for others it is a great place to break into DCA, OR, use for a Come back start.

Some of the Class A groups (specialy the top 6 or so) would fit in very well at any mostly Open Class Show.

A Problem also in the North East Corps,area. SO MANY things to choose from.

DCA - Open Class,

DCA - Class A

Alumni type Corps,

Independent Mini Corps,

Parade Corps,

(not to mention that you are allowed to march into your 22nd year in the DCI -Cadets - Surf - Raiders)

All within an hour or two drive or LESS.

Many a Corps has had a time at the top and may need to back up and re group.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to stick a fork in it than have such a corps as Sunrisers or Skyliners languish at the Class A level.

Well, I'm glad the Govenaires have your consent to "languish" in class A, then. How about Kingston Grenadiers, or Carolina Gold? Can they "languish" in class A too? Because I'd miss them if they didn't. And I'd like to see more of Vigilantes, Sun Devils, White Sabers, etc., no matter what class they "languish" in.

For that matter, I enjoyed the programs that Sunrisers and Skyliners presented when they "languished" their way to class A titles.

(And yes, Tom Peashey nailed it in his earlier post.)

All NY corps...this is sad news. Hope to see them all back next season.

There's a bigger systemic question here than simply the Sunrisers not making it out. The issue that has to be solved pretty quickly is how much bleeding can DCA withstand before it is no longer sustainable.

Sun, Sky, RochCru, Brigs, and then look at the number of corps who are making it out but with fewer then 30 brass.

And yes I know how many great hornlines played with 24 back in the day - I was there - but audiences can see 80 brass with Cadets or 80 brass among all the corps at a DCA show.

If you don't think that's a problem...

to VOReason:

I understand your comment considering the historical success and importance of the two corps mentioned, but your choice of words "Vanquish in Class A" is unfortunate and I believe inappropriate. The current system has proven to provide a pathway for both new and returning corps to find their way to success and maintain that success either in Class A or Open Class depending on their size and competitive choice. I point directly at both Atlanta corps as a perfect example of how the system has been successful.

We all hope to see Sunrisers back on the positive path to success in the very near future.

You are absolutely correct, and I certainly apologize for insinuating that Class A is not a legitimate path for a smaller corps to gain competitive experience and as a springboard for potentially moving to a competitive Open Class corps. BTW, I believe my choice of words was "languish"....still inappropriate. Granted, I am not always the most PC poster on these boards, however my point was that it would pain me to see alltime great DCA corps such as Sun or Sky struggle along, much the way it pains folks to see a sports hero playing long after they should have retired as a shell of what they once were. Of course Class A might give these corps a gateway to comeback but it's just the way I feel. Sorry for the slight....

It is a real shame that all the corps mentioned in this post have struggled this year. Being an educator that has taught many "extra curricular" activities, I can tell you it is hard to recruit kids to participate in anything that doesn't provide them instant and continuous gratification. By no means do I mean to group all youth into this category, however, many fit here. I think it is rare that you find anyone who give a multi year commitment to ANY activity. That makes every group on constant aggresive recruiting binge. Some do this better than others.

Sometimes I feel kids treat all activities like a video game. They play it till they have either "completed" it or become "Bored" with it. Then they buy another game. I find many treat life the same way. Commitment is rare, mastery of anything is nill. I think for the majority of youth, the days are gone where you will find them commiting to anything long term. That is something I believe that has sustained our activity for years. The relying on "returning vets." I think I read recently that the Troopers have no membership from the greater Casper Wyoming area. I could be wrong and I am sure that probably has changed since. That seems almost impossible to imagine, but it happens more times than not I am afraid.

Then you compound that with the state of the state, (NY). This is where the adults have to make tough choices. Either play all weekend, or work to support or sustain a way of life. This can't possibly make it easier on corps who might rely on the older or more mature generation who tend to lead others through their example.

Many drum corps are finding it very difficult I am sure. Their are activities ALL over that are finding difficult.

Good luck to all the corps who are experience tough times. I wish them much luck in their rebuilding process or the different paths they chose to give their members an enjoyable experience.

Edited by dhawtho1

I'm not trying to suggest that I know anything more than anyone else here, but I suspect that the problems are specific to individual corps, not DCA as a whole. Granted, if a majority of DCA corps falter, then DCA will suffer appropriately (see 1993). But right now, DCA appears to be doing quite well, despite the temporary loss of at least a few of its perennial performers.

So what is causing all these corps to go "inactive" for a year (or more, in some cases)? Like I said, I believe each has their own problems to work out. I'll try and do this without mentioning corps names because, as I said earlier, I know no more than anyone else on these forums and can't speak with any "insider knowledge".

That being said, some corps have experienced well documented money problems. Sometimes that comes from short-sighted administration spending too much without having secure revenue. Usually a corps has to take a year or more off and right the ship by raising funds and eliminating that crippling debt. It certainly doesn't hurt if they can also establish a better source of revenue for the future.

Other corps are not marketed as well as they could be. If people don't know who you are or where you're from, how can they march with you? Sometimes corps spend a lot of time marketing themselves to young people, and forget to look for the slightly older folks who can play and march. High school kids are great, but can be flaky. Plus, they have tons of other activities vying for their attention.

Other corps seem to have difficulty establish who they are and where they're from. Some corps lately have been moving a lot. Re-establishing their base of operations. If a particular area is not working out well, then maybe a move is in order. However, sometimes these moves will alienate the members you have left, because you're leaving town. Or depending on the distance, may make travel more difficult for those folks. It also makes it difficult to establish yourself within your community. Creating a great relationship with the town you're in sometimes takes time.

Now please understand, I'm not trying to tie any of these issues to any of these corps specifically, because again, I know no more of what they have going on behind the scenes than any other schmuck on these forums. But these are some of the key problems I've witnessed in drum corps, string bands, etc. It's something to think about, because none of us who were around DCA in 1993 want to see a DCA Championships like that ever again.

I feel that it comes down to one or any combination of three things; money, membership, and leadership. Without funding you can't afford rehearsal sites, equipment, staff, etc. Without membership you've significantly impacted your fundraising efforts and if your leadership is not competent enough to run the corps as the business that it is then no matter how rich or well stocked you are on members, you are going to have major weakness.

I've personally seen all three at once and it isn't pretty. I know Sun has a good staff behind them though and I'm sure that the membership drought will end. The Conquistadors are pulling for you guys!

I wouldn't fault DCA one bit. DCA has been more than accomodating to all corps and have allowed all corps to really have a say in what happens. The corps themselves are the ones that bring their situation onto themselves. I don't say this in a bad way but the economy has a bit to do with the financial side of each corps. Recruitment would be another problem and has been a problem for a few decades. What can done? I guess we can use DCP to publicly brainstorm ideas and hope that we can somehow, through brainstorming, assist these corps. What do you think?

I'm not trying to suggest that I know anything more than anyone else here, but I suspect that the problems are specific to individual corps, not DCA as a whole. Granted, if a majority of DCA corps falter, then DCA will suffer appropriately (see 1993). But right now, DCA appears to be doing quite well, despite the temporary loss of at least a few of its perennial performers.

So what is causing all these corps to go "inactive" for a year (or more, in some cases)? Like I said, I believe each has their own problems to work out. I'll try and do this without mentioning corps names because, as I said earlier, I know no more than anyone else on these forums and can't speak with any "insider knowledge".

That being said, some corps have experienced well documented money problems. Sometimes that comes from short-sighted administration spending too much without having secure revenue. Usually a corps has to take a year or more off and right the ship by raising funds and eliminating that crippling debt. It certainly doesn't hurt if they can also establish a better source of revenue for the future.

Other corps are not marketed as well as they could be. If people don't know who you are or where you're from, how can they march with you? Sometimes corps spend a lot of time marketing themselves to young people, and forget to look for the slightly older folks who can play and march. High school kids are great, but can be flaky. Plus, they have tons of other activities vying for their attention.

Other corps seem to have difficulty establish who they are and where they're from. Some corps lately have been moving a lot. Re-establishing their base of operations. If a particular area is not working out well, then maybe a move is in order. However, sometimes these moves will alienate the members you have left, because you're leaving town. Or depending on the distance, may make travel more difficult for those folks. It also makes it difficult to establish yourself within your community. Creating a great relationship with the town you're in sometimes takes time.

Now please understand, I'm not trying to tie any of these issues to any of these corps specifically, because again, I know no more of what they have going on behind the scenes than any other schmuck on these forums. But these are some of the key problems I've witnessed in drum corps, string bands, etc. It's something to think about, because none of us who were around DCA in 1993 want to see a DCA Championships like that ever again.

I wouldn't fault DCA one bit. DCA has been more than accomodating to all corps and have allowed all corps to really have a say in what happens. The corps themselves are the ones that bring their situation onto themselves. I don't say this in a bad way but the economy has a bit to do with the financial side of each corps. Recruitment would be another problem and has been a problem for a few decades. What can done? I guess we can use DCP to publicly brainstorm ideas and hope that we can somehow, through brainstorming, assist these corps. What do you think?

---------

Keith, I agree. In the case of Sun, DCA and the larger organization there in had nothing to do with Sun's problems.

Sun's problems were/are many, but DCA wasn't one of them.