Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1980 Spirit of Atlanta

For all the "YUTES" out here who think the current brass bands are loud, you have no idea what you are saying.

Regarding recordings of the 1980 Spirit, the recording technology of the day had no chance to capture what the did. It is so unfortunate but that horn line simply could not be recorded like they can today.

Regarding recordings of the 1980 Spirit, the recording technology of the day had no chance to capture what the did. It is so unfortunate but that horn line simply could not be recorded like they can today.

To be fair, technology WAS up to recording it, but as I understand it, DCI wouldn't let Ken Kobold set up his mics in the proper position in the late 70's. As a result, all those big company fronts were lost. Listen to the 1974 recordings and you'll realize that those great SOA horn lines in the late 70's could have and should have been recorded accurately.

Someone mentioned that 1980 Spirit was an example of them releasing frustration and emotion through horn bells (rough quote). 1992 SCV was another great example of that. Bottle Dance before the sun going down at finals was pretty strange. That was my age out year. I was done and out of uniform before it was dark. Surreal.

I'm buying the frustration but not the volume - they wounded raucous that night but I didn't think they were top 10 (all-time) loud.

Madison Scouts 1995....

The loudest sopranos at least

This is another one where I get in trouble. I know everyone on the field was blowing his ### off, but I think that was a lot more about raucous than volume.

The mellophones made my face hurt, and not in a good way.

No I will not fight the thousands of you who want to rip my arms off and beat me with them for defiling the name of one of the all-time most popular horn-lines.

Just not my kind of sound.

It's sad for me to say this, but I completely agree. Loud went buh-bye after 2000.

I'll disagree with that...... Crown the past few years, Cadets any year of the 2000s with Gino at the helm... just a couple of modern-day examples of DCI horn lines that can bring the heat, IMO.

'75 Scouts, '95 Scouts, some of the other choices... also good candidates. I'm with others though, in not getting the vote for the '02 Cavies. LOL. Great corps...but not even close to the loudest horn line ever.

On the DCI/junior corps side of life....I have never heard anything quite like 1980 Spirit, when it comes to pinning the volume meter.

Edited by Fran Haring