Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

Spirit of Atlanta 1980 - saw it live and will never forget it. The emotion and energy from the "hometown" crowd in Birmingham was amazing.

Second place to Spirit of Atlanta 1979 with the help of the jet plane flying overhead during Georgia! :thumbup:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit of Atlanta 1980 - saw it live and will never forget it. The emotion and energy from the "hometown" crowd in Birmingham was amazing.

Second place to Spirit of Atlanta 1979 with the help of the jet plane flying overhead during Georgia! :thumbup:

The two loudest (same show) drum corps sounds I ever heard were the same corps on successive days.

1978 Spirit - Purlie Entrance at VA Beach (first show of the year that we were in the same place). I was blown away.

Next day at Chatanooga each staff "judged" the other corps' run through at the end of the day. I walked end to end of the company front in "Let it Be Me" and every single player in line was playing louder than I could play, 3rd sopranos, 3rd baris, contras, mellos, everybody!

Absolutely unbelieveable.

They did loud better than anyone I saw in the 60 or smaller (brass line size) days.

I'm not a LOUD fan but you have to have it here and there and they could flat out bring it.

Per haps my sarcasm didn't penetrate the ringing in your ears from 1980... I'm glad i wasn't born. =P

If I said "I'm glad I wasn't born" in front of my college buddies, they would kill each other trying to get the first momma joke.

but back on point...

I've heard recordings from pre-1985 but it doesn't do justice. Recording technology was crummy compared to today so everything sounds shrill and distorted when it gets loud. Having said that, I do remember hearing even MORE distortion then normal on a few of those. 1980 Spirit is one and 1975 Madison is another. I would have to defer and agree with the onslaught of votes for 1980 Spirit. There are comparatively few on this forum that could legitimately argue against those shows as we either weren't born or weren't involved yet as I was not.

That memorial 200 member hornline played on July 18, 1980...And I will release a recording of that on Jim Ott's 30th anniversary of his passing on July 8,2010...be on the lookout for it on Jim Otts facebook page FANS OF JIM OTT AND HIS HORNLINES http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?g...986&ref=ts..[/size][[/color]

Cool. Please repost this link around that time. You probably were planning on it already. But, I will forget. I am very interested in this.

Surprised nobody's mentioned 1992 SCV yet.

Someone mentioned that 1980 Spirit was an example of them releasing frustration and emotion through horn bells (rough quote). 1992 SCV was another great example of that. Bottle Dance before the sun going down at finals was pretty strange. That was my age out year. I was done and out of uniform before it was dark. Surreal.

Loudest I've personally heard would be the encore at finals for the '86 Blue Devils...

loudest moment of the 2000's? I'd go with the Boxer from the Bluecoats...

This would be the loudest show I've ever heard. Recordings don't count for me -- loud is felt not heard.

The loudest show I ever heard (in situ) was 1978 DCI Finals, with PR receiving High LOUD. 1978 mezzoforte seemed to be everyone's loud in the ensuing years, but perhaps my ears were ruined in '78. In 1980 Spirit did remind everybody what loud really was.

Sorry you didn't get to hear live "Sanctus", Phantom's opener in 2003. It was good, and it was LOUD.

Definitely in the running for "loudest ever."

ooh, 83 Phantom Regiment is defiently in the top ten..that show as a whole was just amazing, the drill is lost due to the poor coverage but it was by far the best drill that night. I am lucky to have the high camera vids and it is , by far superior to everything else, even Garfield...Garfield was great for many, many reasons but Phantom's drill just covereed that field like a blanket....and the deep sound, especially in the opener...wow.

also: 1981 Madison Scouts at DCI East......that was ear-hurting loud.

G