Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit of Atlanta, 1980. A hornline putting all its grief and pain out through the bell. Simply awe inspiring. :thumbup::shutup::worthy:

Honorable mention: The Jim Ott memorial horn line at BD's home show in 1981. BD, SCV, Freelancers, members of the Commodores, and the San Leandro Royalaires together. Something like 200 horns. :blink: They played The Navy Hymm twice...once as written...the second "So Jim can hear it". :worthy::blink::blink:

I wish someboby had a recording of that.

Spirit of Atlanta, 1980. A hornline putting all its grief and pain out through the bell. Simply awe inspiring. :thumbup::shutup::worthy:

Honorable mention: The Jim Ott memorial horn line at BD's home show in 1981. BD, SCV, Freelancers, members of the Commodores, and the San Leandro Royalaires together. Something like 200 horns. :blink: They played The Navy Hymm twice...once as written...the second "So Jim can hear it". :worthy::blink::blink:

That memorial 200 member hornline played on July 18, 1980...And I will release a recording of that on Jims 30th anniversary of his passing on July 8,2010...be on the lookout for it on Jim Otts facebook page..

Edited by Roy Perez

That memorial 200 member hornline played on July 18, 1980...And I will release a recording of that on Jim Ott's 30th anniversary of his passing on July 8,2010...be on the lookout for it on Jim Otts facebook page FANS OF JIM OTT AND HIS HORNLINES http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?g...986&ref=ts..[/size][[/color]

So everyone is completely clear, the 2002 cavies guy was joking.

I was not alive in 1980 so I've only seen the recording. It sounds loud and it's kind of impressive but (go ahead and hate me) it isn't very pleasant sounding.

I have not seen drum corps live before 2000 so I'm recusing myself from this discussion.

So everyone is completely clear, the 2002 cavies guy was joking.

I was not alive in 1980 so I've only seen the recording. It sounds loud and it's kind of impressive but (go ahead and hate me) it isn't very pleasant sounding.

I have not seen drum corps live before 2000 so I'm recusing myself from this discussion.

correct.

Somebody else said it before I did, 77 MADISON SCOUTS/ West Side Story. Cant touch this. I also have to say that the 89 Phantom Regiment was right up there for loudest ever. If the low brass plays something and u turn your head cause it was so loud, out of nowhere, it has to be on the list.

Edited by thirdcoast

I'm surprised I didn't think of this one earlier.

1983 Phantom Regiment.

I remember that as well.

What we should all remember is that our PERCEPTION of "loudest" ever is dictated by many factors, such as where we were sitting, was a particular corps tired that day and didn't bring it, was it a small or large stadium, etc.

I heard 1983 Phantom several times that year including finals (one of two finals I have been to in 30 years) and the opener was always loud, no question. But the finals performance opening horn flurry was UN-believable and I quite agree, a legitimate candidate for "loudest" ever.

But was it the loudest that entire season in all 25 appearances, or just that one show at finals? Was it the loudest moment, and not the loudest show? That is why these discussions will have have many answers, and frankly, there are many "right" answers, even if they are all different.

+++

How about a new thread for "loudest ever when the entire horn line played in tune?" :thumbup:

Edited by wvu80