Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

This thread is why I have the Legacy collection and a fabulous sound system. So many shows I'd forgotten about and so much fun to listen again, and this time to listen for loud only.

Unfortunately, 2 of my 4 amps are back at the factory being tuned and my system will be down until fall.

But I'm writing all this stuff down and can at least watch them on the PC while I wait!

Oh, and SOA, no question. Nothing ever since has even come close, IMO.

That night in Birm I began wearing my hair parted down the middle.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see so many agree with Spirit of 1980. Having followed the activity since 1978.... that was the loudest and nicest sounding hornline ever. 79 was special too and 1978 was just plain different and pure.

As far as loudest, Avant Garde 1982 fits in there for 1st tour of "and The Angels Sing," it was very, very loud. Imbalanced corps that struggled with great drum major that looked at us each night on 1st tour to hold the last note a little longer. By the third Southern show he was looking for us on the front row!

At the buses loudest:

1983 Suncoast Sound tied Spirit at the DCS Championship that year and the celebration playing of "Aquarius" is still the loudest piece ( I am not tying in warm ups) but it was a moment I will never forget. Was covering the south for DCW and people were screaming all around me and when they played that nite you couldn't hear anything. Just people jumping up and down. The fact that they had caught them was huge. {This was off the field mind you at the buses.......)

Looking forward to those hornlines today that create moments like the older days.......

FFF

Glad to see so many agree with Spirit of 1980. Having followed the activity since 1978.... that was the loudest and nicest sounding hornline ever. 79 was special too and 1978 was just plain different and pure.

As far as loudest, Avant Garde 1982 fits in there for 1st tour of "and The Angels Sing," it was very, very loud. Imbalanced corps that struggled with great drum major that looked at us each night on 1st tour to hold the last note a little longer. By the third Southern show he was looking for us on the front row!

At the buses loudest:

1983 Suncoast Sound tied Spirit at the DCS Championship that year and the celebration playing of "Aquarius" is still the loudest piece ( I am not tying in warm ups) but it was a moment I will never forget. Was covering the south for DCW and people were screaming all around me and when they played that nite you couldn't hear anything. Just people jumping up and down. The fact that they had caught them was huge. {This was off the field mind you at the buses.......)

Looking forward to those hornlines today that create moments like the older days.......

FFF

...While I wasnt there, I remember that moment, and that show and Suncoast catching Spirit..it was huge. both being 12/13 and then vaulting up the ladder the folowing year......to think Suncoast went from 13th to 5th in prelims the next year.....their brass was very, very loud.

G

Spirit of Atlanta 1980 was incredible. 1980 Finals was my first live DCI show and Spirit was LOUD.

Today's corps shows cannot match the sheer volume of those old shows. Consider the G horns and the easier drill.

Also the ability to let fly after the gun led to loud shows. I'll have to admit, I miss those blaring endings after the gun.

I enjoy today's shows too (my son marched for the last 5 years), but SOA 1980 and Madison 1980 were super loud in Birmingham.

Maybe not loudest show, but.....

loudest moment: opening of 2001 Scouts. Holy ####!!!!

I don't know, I think the end of that show may be even louder than the beginning. Both were awesome.

But, I've got to add another vote to Spirit '80. Another factor in the loudness of Spirit '80, beyond the passing of Jim Ott, (from what various Martins have said), is that that hornline was especially mature. It was had an unusually large group of ageouts, many of whom had been with the corps since the beginning...

I found it pretty obvious no sane person would think 2002 was the loudest show in history.

This is DCP. I take nothing for granted.

A "situational loud" moment, for me, was 1980 Phantom Regiment, during the final power push in the "Carmen" finale.

Up until that part of the show, Regiment's horn line was kinda kept under wraps in terms of really letting loose. Then came the big push....plugs-out, balls to the wall... that deep lower-brass sound that was the Regiment's trademark. Holy mackerel, what a wall of sound!!!!!! :smile: